Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
jessca06
Registered Users
seller
seller

what to wear at the birthing center?

This might be a dumb question, but what do you wear during labor? A nursing tank? a big t-shirt? What about after labor? Do you change into something else?

Advertisement

jessca06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Whatever you feel comfortable in! And make sure it's something you don't mind ruining.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wore a skirt with a comfy bra and tank top to the birth center with my first, and shed all but the bra when I got into the tub, and eventually on the birth stool. With my second (at home) I wore the skirt again, and a tankini bathing suit top, and then took the skirt off to birth in the birth pool. Definitely be comfy! Midwives are laundry magicians...mine got everything out of my white bra the first time...blood, meconium, and all.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oh, and after the birth, I put on a tank top, or a button-down pj top. Something comfy, but easy to nurse in.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what to wear at the birthing center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
Whatever you feel comfortable in! And make sure it's something you don't mind ruining.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

If you're going to be in the tub, consider what you'd be comfortable getting wet. I'd hate the feeling of a large baggy shirt in the tub but could do a nursing tank. Also consider what you prefer to sweat in too

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:44 AM   #6
crunch!910
Registered Users

I won't be in a birthing center, but a hospital, but will NOT wear a hospital gown.

I'm packing two skirts (picked up cheap from goodwill!) and tank tops. One skirt is knee length and I cut it up the side and added snaps - it'd be very easy removal. The other skirt is ankle length, but intact and would need to be slid down past my feet to be taken off. I'm not sure which I'll be more comfortable in during labor, so packing both. For the tub, I'm packing my swim top and a cheapy walmart sports bra and soffee shorts. I'm sure I'll actually end upw ith my bottom naked, but packign the shorts just in case. I hate the feel of wet clothes, but I know I won't go totally nude - hence the reason I'm packing tops I'd be comfortable getting wet in.

For the hospital stay, I've packed loose pajama and stretch pants, nursing tank tops, a robe, and am still looking for PJ tops that button for easy nursing.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

same thing I would wear at home or hospital. (as for the ruining, even the pants I bled all over in on the way to the hospital last time weren't ruined. the blood came out in regular wash). So for me, last time at hospital, I just wore a stretchy tank, no bottoms and then naked (I don't remember taking off the tank, but the pics where he was put on my chest, I had nothing on, lol)
Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wore a nursing tank and "boy short" cut underwear. Shed the undies when I got into the birth tub. After baby was born, I changed into a clean nursing tank and left my bottom naked while I rested comfortably in the bed holding and nursing my newbie.

This time around I am going to wear a nursing tank again, and look into one of those skirts. I may use the birth tub again, or I may not.

For going home, a comfy over-sized shirt and sweat pants.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Both times I just wore what I had been wearing when labor started. Athletic shorts, a sports bra, and t-shirt with DS, and a skirt and tank tops with DD. There was no laboring at the hospital with DD, though, she was born as soon as we got there.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
rachelmaria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you have to wear something?? I didn't birth at a birthing center, but I certainly didn't wear anything when I gave birth. I think I was worried what others might think for approximately 0.0087 seconds. If you do have to wear something, I agree with others - it should be something you don't mind tossing or at least getting slimey.