Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:
Re: what to wear at the birthing center?

Advertisement

Last edited by USMCgirl_05; 02-12-2012 at 10:20 AM.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #12
Cherbear013
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

During labor I wore a sports bra under the hospital gown. Afterwards I wore the sports bra/nursing tank under my t-shirt. For bottoms I basically only wore the mesh undies the three days I was in the hospital. I was bleeding so much and it was a pain to have too many layers on. I brought jersey capri/gauchos with to wear home and to walk around the halls in.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #13
newwife777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL to the 'shed it as soon as..." comments., My doulas were saying that a good/funny indicator of how far into labor you are is the amount of clothing you have on- the further you are, the few items of clothing.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

I had no idea how messy labor would be, it looked like a murder scene in my room, lol. I also did not want anything touching or distracting me, so if I had worn anything tight or binding I probably would have stripped early on. I'm glad I wasn't totally nude during labor because it would have felt a bit too primal, but you do want to be as unencumbered as possible

I wore a very thin smock-dress I got on sale at Old Navy, and it was just right. I wore it because it was super lose, cheap (I think I paid $5) and absolutely okay to ruin... which I did. They literally cut it off of me because after giving birth I was too tired to wriggle out of it and just wanted my baby on me without anything in the way.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
jkoopmans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I opt for just a nursing bra and an "undercover mama" nursing tank (they just hook to your bra so it's not really added layers) ... Nothing in my way, not all primal nakey (lol) and still super easy/quick access for once baby is out and ready for some skin to skin and nursing time ... Oh both bra and shirt are black so nothing gets stained id they do get a bit 'messy'
jkoopmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

I am a pretty modest mama (I was even slightly embarrassed about my husband and 2 doulas watching me poop.. at 10 cm!) and I don't get super-primal. Waterbirths aren't an option and I've never had the urge to strip. For my last birth I wore a cheap Old Navy skirt that was a lightweight comfy material (and black) and a loose sleeveless top because I needed to change out of the clothes I had been wearing FAST and it was the quickest thing I found. I think I would be uncomfortable in something tight like a sports bra. Things happened so fast after I got to the hospital that I never even took the skirt off (hadn't been planning on a hospital gown in the first place), it just got pushed up around my waist. Washed beautifully and not a person complained about me being in regular clothes. Guess it just depends on how you envision your labor going! I changed into soft cotton pjs afterwards.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was at a hospital, but i wore a nursing tank. And a sheet as a towel when i got out of the labor tub.

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect
Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #18
jkoopmans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edens_mom View Post
I am a pretty modest mama (I was even slightly embarrassed about my husband and 2 doulas watching me poop.. at 10 cm!) and I don't get super-primal. Waterbirths aren't an option and I've never had the urge to strip. For my last birth I wore a cheap Old Navy skirt that was a lightweight comfy material (and black) and a loose sleeveless top because I needed to change out of the clothes I had been wearing FAST and it was the quickest thing I found. I think I would be uncomfortable in something tight like a sports bra. Things happened so fast after I got to the hospital that I never even took the skirt off (hadn't been planning on a hospital gown in the first place), it just got pushed up around my waist. Washed beautifully and not a person complained about me being in regular clothes. Guess it just depends on how you envision your labor going! I changed into soft cotton pjs afterwards.
Oh and Im planning on some sort of skirt during the labor for this one ...and a waterbirth, when I I get in the water I'll probably lose the skirt (as I dont imagine it helping much at that point anyway?) but will keep my same top (as mentioned before) on in the pool.
jkoopmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #19
ecocentric
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newwife777 View Post
LOL to the 'shed it as soon as..." comments., My doulas were saying that a good/funny indicator of how far into labor you are is the amount of clothing you have on- the further you are, the few items of clothing.

I didn't plan it this way but I arrived at the birthing center wrapped in basically a colorful sheet. My body had gone into purge mode and I was in and out of the shower before heading to the center. Push time came quickly after arrival, and the sheet didn't stay on for long. I am normally a bit bashful, but I was in no headspace to pay any mind. My midwives were awesome!
ecocentric is offline   Reply With Quote