Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anything I could be doing now?

I have a daughter who is almost 2 and a son who is almost 1. I know I'm early, but is there anything I could be doing to prep myself or our family for homeschooling? We haven't made a definite decision about grade school, but know we will be homeschooling during the Preschool years. We'd like to have some sort of Faith-based (we're Roman Catholic) program for us to do with the kids after school if we decide they will go. If you all have any advice, please share! I'm new to this and I have a lot of familial support

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would find Five in a Row or Before Five in a Row and read, read, read. . Letter of the Week is also fun and free. Letteroftheweek.com.

Sent from my iPhone--it's smarter than I am
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anything I could be doing now?

awesome.... !
I am a beginner. I think other ppl will have a lot more advice for you.

There are things you can do at their age if you wanted to stimulate them.

Lots of painting, exploring letters and numbers (i.e. molding letter shape with play doh), some easy file folder games (www.filefolderfun.com), and of course read to them out loud every day.

and for yourself, you can read homeschooling books (how to) and start to choose the method and curriculum (if you are using any). Choosing a curriculum can be overhwhelming, so studying how to homeschool, studying how to teach, choosing your curriculum now can be helpful. talking to other ppl about homeschooling and meeting with other homeschooling family can be very reassuring and educational for yourself.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Love them hard, read to them often, and don't put pressure on them or yourself. Their whole world is a school
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Reading is the best thing! My 2 year old is super into nature and animals. We get books on those subjects and watch movies like Disney's Oceans. Just reading stuff and talking about it is such good exercise for their little minds! I always try to point things out when we read like colors or how many eggs are in the nest.

I also wanted some crafty structure so we are using Carol's Affordable Curriculum. Its short and sweet and teaches colors, letters, numbers, shapes, and more in about 20 minutes a day. Plus, it comes with all of the craft items you need. My 2 year old is loving it! Their lower level starts at 18 months.
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Hi Catholic HS here... We use the Catholic Hertitage Cirriculm http://www.chcweb.com/catalog/index.html We really love it its very gentle but still allows for focus and covers what we want. Its still though lite enough that we can do further studies and exploring as a family. They have a preschool curriculm as well I've not used it but I do plan to get it for my toddler when she is ready.
I also love that I can pick or choose what I want the programs stuff on religion and faith building is excellent and if you go with there core based programs our faith in intertwined in pretty much all areas. My oldest loves the literature. We also follow a kinda combined CM and classical schooling approach and this program really allows for this.

Deanna

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
cdeweese
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon's Mama View Post
Reading is the best thing! My 2 year old is super into nature and animals. We get books on those subjects and watch movies like Disney's Oceans. Just reading stuff and talking about it is such good exercise for their little minds! I always try to point things out when we read like colors or how many eggs are in the nest.

I also wanted some crafty structure so we are using Carol's Affordable Curriculum. Its short and sweet and teaches colors, letters, numbers, shapes, and more in about 20 minutes a day. Plus, it comes with all of the craft items you need. My 2 year old is loving it! Their lower level starts at 18 months.
Love this We already read everyday, starting counting, interacting with other kids, and of course are giving TONS of hugs and kisses (I think that's the best part!)
I guess I just have no idea where to start in terms of how to narrow down all the different homeschool programs. Like a PP said, it's really overwhelming. Is there maybe a site that you all would recommend?
Old 02-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
cdeweese
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy View Post
Hi Catholic HS here... We use the Catholic Hertitage Cirriculm http://www.chcweb.com/catalog/index.html We really love it its very gentle but still allows for focus and covers what we want. Its still though lite enough that we can do further studies and exploring as a family. They have a preschool curriculm as well I've not used it but I do plan to get it for my toddler when she is ready.
I also love that I can pick or choose what I want the programs stuff on religion and faith building is excellent and if you go with there core based programs our faith in intertwined in pretty much all areas. My oldest loves the literature. We also follow a kinda combined CM and classical schooling approach and this program really allows for this.

Deanna
This sound great
Old 02-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
walking-iris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've always homeschooled and when my oldest was that age I read every homeschooling book I could find (at the library and then I'd interlibrary loan books that book listed as resources and on and on) to took that time to figure out what I believed about education and homeschooling.

As far as your children: the book Slow and Steady Get Me Ready is good, activities from the Mommy&me website, lots of book reading and talking about books, playing music (kids songs, classical, Beatles) during the day, finger play and rhymes and songs, arts and crafts, time outside exploring and talking about nature and their community (parks, backyard), have quality toys available (puzzles, dress up, blocks (wooden, abc, lego, big cardboard brick blocks, nesting blocks), circle stackers, leappad little touch, etc.

As far as looking at all the curriculum I suggest go to www.rainbowresource.com and request a catalog. For you kiddos age you'll find plenty in the early learning section of that catalog to keep you busy and having options. I use this catalog every year to plan.
walking-iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm in the same place too, with a 1yo. I have taken free preschool "curriculum" & adapted, picked & choose what I think ds can do. I really like 'Mommy School' this mama does all the internet searches for free activities & puts them all together in themed packets that she offers free for download.

We also go to story time at the library & take a Gymboree class.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum