Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
lucymae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
life book tips

my husband and I have decided to pursue an domestic infant adoption, I am so thankful for the Lord leading us down this path and am excited to see all that is in store. We already have our home study done and now I am needing to make our "life book" to show EM's. So I was wondering if any of you experienced mama's have any tips on how long, how many pictures, things to include....really any tips you have would be great. THANK YOU!!

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
kaylajo88
Registered Users

Re: life book tips

Im glad you asked this! We cover life books in our PRIDE class tomorrow so im interested to see what others did for theirs!
kaylajo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
jbh099s
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did mine using a digital scrapbooking program. (If you don't have one and want one pretty cheap, pm me and I'll give you some info.) Then we got them printed at snapfish when they were having a buy one get two free sale. They have sales on photo books all the time! Ours went like so--

Cover--pic of me and DH with our names
Page 1-- a few pics and our Dear birthmom type letter
Page 2 &3--pics and about us, a little narrative about who we are
Page 4--about DH pics and writing
Page 5--about me pics and writing
Page 6--about DD pics and writing
Page 7--adventures in babysitting--pics and about the fun dd has with grandma and grandpa while we are at work
Page 8--our house
Page 9--our pets
Page 10--dh's family
Page 11--my family
Page 12 and 13-- holidays
Page 14 and 15--travel
Page 16--area fun, like we live next to a lake and some themeparks
Page 17--us being us, pics of us being silly
Page 18 and 19-- me and dh as parents describing and pics of our parenting styles
Page 20-- our dreams for this child and promises to the birthmother, things we can keep like "he will be cherished everyday" "we will read bedtime stories and color" "we will learn from our mistakes as parents and never give up on him" "he will see the world" etc...

Kind of like our website, but cuter and in book form
http://ryanandjami.weebly.com/index.html

Last edited by jbh099s; 02-14-2012 at 09:48 AM.
jbh099s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
lucymae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wonderful tips. I really like the idea of making a book on snap fish or shutter fly.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Badonkadonk Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: mikeandtiff
seller

I used some of those that chose to advertise themselves online via our attorney's website to get my ideas flowing. You can look at them at http://www.adoptionnorthwest.com/adoptive_profiles.asp What you will see there are final draft profiles that the attorney we used already "approved" (for lack of a better word coming to mind). I think he's put them on there to be encouraging to adoptive parents to show a good profile is important, as well as give expectant parents an idea of what the process will be to choose a forever family for their child. Anyway, we didn't choose to advertise ourselves online, but I know many do. As I said, we just used the profiles we saw there as inspiration to create our own and figure out what format to arrange things in.

We made sure to include a lot of fun photos, rather than posed ones. We wanted our life in action to be captured. We also already had one child, so we made sure to include him as well as a blurb on our parenting philosophies (raised in a Christian home, what our daily life is like as parents, what we do for fun with our child, our hopes and dreams for him and the baby we wanted to adopt, etc.). Really, it became hard to keep the profile short enough - not to overwhelm, but still long enough to include what is needed to give expectant parents looking at it a good base for what you are all about.

Good luck!

Last edited by Badonkadonk Knits; 02-14-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Badonkadonk Knits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

talk to your agency/attorney about what they want. Some want a few pages, some want a book and some want their format done their way. Then google and you can find tons of examples online. We had several different profiles for different situations/people.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
lucymae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have talked with the 2 agencies, they are pretty general. We are really looking forward to making this a fun project, and want EM to really get a good picture of who we are as a family.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
smokeyswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We also used a "scrapbook" program, called "SmileBox". It is more for making photo collage emails and such, but also has scrapbook format. We made sure to show our family as it REALLY is...and our son's birthmom commented on how we didn't try too hard to make our family look "perfect...like we had unicorns in the backyard". We showed who we are now...our daily life, our family adventures, growing a garden, the pets, the kids, etc. Good luck and have fun with it!
smokeyswife is offline   Reply With Quote