Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Scariest, worst day ever!!!! *really long!*

I had to take Harley to the ER this morning. Thankfully, we only live about 5 blocks from the hospital because I don't think I could have driven any farther.

I was sitting on the couch watching some cartoons with the boys when Harley let out this scream. He turned around and had Aaron's boot spring hanging out of his mouth. I didn't even know he had it!!!! At first I thought that he had bit down on it and it pinched his tongue or something, but when I went pull it out of his mouth I realized it was stuck. PANIC!!! I totally freaked because he now had blood running out of his mouth and was crying hysterically. I scooped him up and made a run for the car...my oldest was right behind me screaming that we needed to take Harley to the doctor right now. I asked Aedan to grab Mommy's shoes while I buckled Harley into his car seat. As soon as I got him in the car, he started vomiting, which only made it worse because I didn't know how far this thing was stuck in his throat or how it was stuck. I was so worried that he would choke or aspirate on his own vomit.

Aedan came running out of the house with my tennis shoes and I grabbed them and threw them in the car. I had to go back and grab some flip flops since I didn't want to mess with putting on tennis shoes. I quickly buckled Aedan in his car seat and jumped in the car. I put on my emergency flashers and hauled a$$ to the hospital. I have never driven such a short distance so fast. I managed to call Aaron and my parents as I was going out the door and while I was on en route to the hospital. None of them really understood what I was saying, but managed to understand "hospital" and "now". I was completely hysterical, which I realize now probably wasn't the best thing for my kids. My call got my parents out of bed and freaked out my sister since she answered the phone...all I could say to her was "get Mom up NOW!" Aaron had been out hunting and had his phone on silent so he didn't actually answer, but said he had a gut feeling he needed to check his messages.

By the time we got to the hospital Harley had thrown up all over himself and his carseat badly...poor kid had just eaten breakfast about 45 minutes before this happened. All the way there he was throwing up and making gagging and choking noises. I was bawling all the way, and my 3.5 year old, as brave as he is bless his little heart, stayed calm the whole way and talked to Harley to try to keep him calm. It was only about 5 minutes from the time the spring got stuck to the time we made it to the ER. I came running through the ER doors with Harley in my arms and Aedan right behind me, bawling and unable to really say much. One of the nurses that was there is a friend of my mom's and has known me since birth. She jumped up and hurried us to an exam room as she told another nurse to call the on-call doctor right away.

Everyone got there in a matter of minutes, Aaron was first, then the doctor (who passed my parents), and then my parents. Janet (the friend of my mom's) took Aedan to watch for my Mom and Dad since I was such a mess. They kept asking me if I needed anything and what exactly it was that was stuck. I kept telling them what it was and what it was for, but I was so upset and worried that they just weren't getting it. Aaron was WAY more calm and was able to better tell them how long it was and what it was for, etc.

They got it out in just a couple minutes with no problems, Harley was so still and was being such a trooper! They thought they were going to have to put him on oxygen in case it was blocking an airway, but his O2 sats were fine and they got it out quickly. He was such a good boy for them, opening his mouth so they could get it out and then again so the doctor could check his mouth. He didn't like the X-rays, but they wanted to make sure there wasn't any swelling or damage to his tonsil area.

All in all, he was perfectly fine when we left. They said the worst he would have was a sore mouth/throat. I think it was really worse for me than it was for him. They even gave him a very pretty crocheted blanket to take home since they had to take his clothes off him to clean him up. (When the nurse took his shirt off to go rinse it out Harley reached for it and said "mine"...he thought she was stealin' his shirt ) The blanket came from a local woman (whom I will be sending a Thank you card to) that crocheted it for Project Linus. www.projectlinus.com (or .org, I can't remember).

Anyway, Harley is fine...and I'm dealing with the guilt. Here is a pic of the culprit.

I'll try to remember to take a pic of the blanket later. Harley is sleeping with it right now....he really does love it.

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
mama23boys
Banned
seller

Re: Scariest, worst day ever!!!! *really long!*

OMG mama!! how scarey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 what a trooper BOTh kids were! i would of done the same thing~
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Oh my goodness, mama, how terrifying for you all! I am so glad he is OK though!
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
deb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so glad he is OK! That was just awful!
Old 04-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh jeeze!! That sounds awful!! I'm so sorry your son and you whole family really, had to go through that! We have made a few rush trips to the ER with my twins and 5yr old and it's NEVER fun! I've gotten better with the panic reaction, my mom actually complimented me on being so calm and collected while driving to the hospital w/ my son's head gaping open and an exposed skull!
I hope he has a quick recovery!!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Holy Cow!! I cant even imagine!! Im so glad he is okay!! Did they find out how it was stuck i there?? I mean was it that little hookey part was stuck at that back of his throat or stuck down in his throat?? Wow how scary!!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
e and d
Registered Users
seller

Oh my gosh! I'm so glad he was okay. That must have been absolutely awful!
e and d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

oh and whats a boot spring??
Old 04-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMG! I would have been in a panic too! I'm so glad that all is well though. I swear sometimes I wonder how kids find the things that they eat.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #10
ThreeBunniesMoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood: