Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #21
b bright
Registered Users
seller

I used one with my daughter inside airports and zoos and aquariums, etc. big places with lots of people in big cities. She loved to wear it at home too though. She had the monkey with the tail and loved to wear it. Lol. She would lead herself around. Lol.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #22
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rockstars
Yesssssss! I love the leash drama threads.

*runs for popcorn*
Let's hope for no drama
Old 02-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #23
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Interesting that so many mamas are all for them. Really opens my eyes because I was so against them before my YDS came along, lol.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #24
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do/would you use a kid leash?

I'm sorry for all the Mamas that had such close calls with their LO's

I have a 22 month old and a 10 month old, my husband works insanely long hours (upwards of 12 hours/day at least 6 days a week) and I've never had to use one. I've thought about it on occasion, but haven't felt right about it. My daughter sits in the shopping cart against her will or holds my hand, that's it. I feel a lot of it has to do with discipline, and the fact of the matter is, a toddler is a toddler. The NEED boundaries, period. And they need to know there are consequences for their actions. Also, I saw a woman at Target unleash her child and he jumped from the vehicle and ran across the parking lot! I asked myself, what good is a leash if they dart into traffic the second you take it off? I'm not against anyone using them, but for me and my family it's not for us.

No matter what you choose to do, you're doing it with your child's best interest at heart! It really doesn't matter what everyone else thinks
Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #25
rle376@hotmail.com
Registered Users
seller

I've used one in extreme situations. Like the airport. Personally at 2 I would expect him not to run off. I have an 18 month old. She's our 3rd. She has a definite mind of her own. I've been letting her walk with me for months now. I tell her to "stay by Mommy". If she doesn't she gets put in the cart. If she screams, she screams... But, then some kids are just more strong willed than others... And she's a girl... And I learned from my son that girls develop some of that "awareness" sooner... And you have your hands full... So if a leash keeps him safe and keeps you sane I see no issue with it.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #26
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by b bright View Post
I used one with my daughter inside airports and zoos and aquariums, etc. big places with lots of people in big cities. She loved to wear it at home too though. She had the monkey with the tail and loved to wear it. Lol. She would lead herself around. Lol.
Yes, DS loves his and begs me to put it on him. he even wants to nap with it.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #27
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have never used one with my 3 boys and I am not likely to use one with the baby that is coming. I have never felt the need but to each their own. If it helps you keep your kids safe then more power to you. I hold hands, carry or use the stroller (aka baby bucket- yup, I am one of *those*).

ETA: Maybe this is what I need to keep track of my 16 year old...

Last edited by eguisgirl; 02-12-2012 at 11:07 PM.
eguisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #28
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I bought one to use with my then 18 month old for a trip to Disneyland. I ended up using it once for about 10 minutes. My DS didn't like it and I found I didn't really need it. It sits in the closet unused.

Your DS sounds like he might be just as upset about wearing the leash as he would be about holding hands, riding in the cart etc. You could give it a try, but you might find (like my DS) that he HATES to have it on and will just pull against it and cry (or scream) and throw a fit.

If you think it might help, then give it a try! There are also stretchy leashes that just go around the child's wrist or belt loop. My kids liked that much better. We usually just connected it to the stroller or a parent and let the child hold on to the other end, not actually connected it to the child. The rule was hold on to the stroller, my hand or hold the stretchy leash. The leash gave much more freedom, so that was chosen more often. You could start with putting it on him and then let him move to just holding on to it if he listens.

Good luck!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #29
Laurshar
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by b bright
My DS has the same one! It also functions as a backpack, which is great. For us, he developed physically very fast and mentally was average. Since he was running at ten months, it was necessary when he wasn't in his stroller. He is 2 now, and we no longer use it. But he still loves the backpack he runs off sometimes, but I'm always watching, so I can grab him quick
Lauren, mama to C & D, owner of Triquetra. Currently TTC baby #3! My ISO/IHA
Laurshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #30
Sabra
Registered Users

I need to buy another one. I've used them with all of my girls. Esther got really attached to hers and wanted to wear it long past when she needed it, so we unclipped the leash portion (it was one of the little animal backpacks--those are the greatest) and let her wear it. But she wanted the leash! So she carried her own leash for a while.

I need to buy one for Marie. She is at the point where she wants to walk all the time and does not want to hold my hand. Teaching children to stay with you is an excellent idea, but toddlers simply don't have the self-control necessary for the lesson to stick. And it only takes once, y'know? Right now I hold her hand whenever she wants to walk, but it forces me to stoop over and really hurts my back.

I like leashes. They give little ones freedom. I nearly always back it up with a held hand, but on walks or something it was good for letting Esther have a little freedom, but not so much that she was in danger, KWIM? I don't put my kids in a stroller once they hit about age three. They have to walk. The leash is used every time we go out from then until I know they will stay with me like they should. It's not that I don't teach them to stay with me, but it takes a while for the lesson to become ingrained.
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote