Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #31
Ashlovespat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It doesn't have to be an all or nothing. We use them when needed...in a place where we are doing a lot of walking in a crowd or lots of people. I get looks sometimes by people who'd never use one, but it's better than losing your kid. One of my older ones used to be a huge runner, just like you are describing...and when I had the 3rd baby, I just could. It risk him running off, if I was by myself. We don't use them anymore, but guaranteed...if one ran off or couldn't listen...they'd be strapped into one. It's just worth risking losing a child over, in my opinion.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #32
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do/would you use a kid leash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbangranola View Post
Yes, and no. Yes if I had a special needs child. But I don't. I can see in certain situations they would be useful. I have always trained my kids to stay close. They are not allowed to be more than an arms length in a store. Which means they are in the cart (whether they like it or not) or holding my pocket if they dont want to hold my hand. If i have a cart they can have one hand on the cart. Also have older kids now that will take a little kids hand and that helps too. Luckily, they haven't given me too much of a hard time. I am one of those Moms who thinks they look ridiculous but that being said, I understand that in certain circumstances they could save a child's life. But I think I would rather use a stroller because I could give them some things to help occupy them for time we had to spend out.
I'm 37, and if I go to WM w/ my Mom, I still hold on to the side of the cart. So does my sis! Old habits die hard!

I was adamantly opposed to "leashes" for the girls. I said that parents needed to have control of their kids and teach them not to run around. And, if we had a cart, my kids would sit in it and get groceries stacked around them. Then came DS. I don't know if I was just old and tired or he was more strong willed or what, but I bought a monkey backpack "harness" for him. It seemed that he was everywhere all the time. He would be standing next to me and I would pick up a box of cereal off the shelf and he'd be halfway down the aisle. I couldn't deal with it. This was when he was about 2 or so. We used it 5 or 6 times when I knew that I would be distracted or in large crowds. Now, at 4, it isn't bad. The only place he runs off is at church and everyone is really good about making sure he doesn't leave the building.

So, use it if you feel like it would help. Know that there are people out there who will judge you (aren't there always! ), but you have to do what is in the best interests of your family.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #33
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No I don't...

but sometimes I think maybe I should. However, I think it would look a little silly on my 7 year old
Old 02-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #34
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESMama
No I don't...

but sometimes I think maybe I should. However, I think it would look a little silly on my 7 year old
This cracks me up. My 7 year old was the best toddler. He always listened and minded. But now that he is older he is all over the freakin place!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #35
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I didn't until my daughter pulled her hand from mine at Wal-mart darted between a group of people and under a clothes rack. She was found hiding by the furniture section on the other side of the store. As soon as I got home.(we were visiting for 3 weeks) I made her a leash and harness. She was only 2 years old. No way was I going to lose her because it took TIME for her to learn to stay with us. I'm wishing for a leash and harness for my 8 year old son. I told him if he continues wandering of I will make him wear one. I think it would only take one time of having to use it on him and he would stay with us.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #36
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally you bet I would. IMHO its a safety issue when they run off. It only takes a few seconds and a few feet to get hit by a car.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #37
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

With my first DD we used one only when we were in certain environments (ie. mall around Christmas time, state fair, zoo). Her's had a monkey on the back and she loved it. She didn't get upset about it at all! But for the most part I would put the leash end around my hand and still hold her hand, so she only was aware of it if she let go and tried to run!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #38
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I would like to point out that when my dd took off and ended up in the middle of the parking lot in front of a (thankfully not moving) car, she absolutely 100% received a punishment. And now, she's three, and I don't feel like she "needs" a leash/harness anymore (ours is that monkey backpack one.) She doesn't take off nearly as much as she used to, BECAUSE I DID teach her to stay.

But some times, safety in the teaching is necessary. It's like my oldest having to have a learner's permit before she gets her license. She doesn't automatically get full driving privlidges while she's learning, she has a "safety harness" first. Then, as she learns to drive safely, the harness comes off. Same with my kids learning to stay by me. I learned exactly what can happen when they don't have the safety harness on while they are learning. Thankfully mine survived her lesson.
happysmileylady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #39
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
I haven't read all of the replies. It yes I have and yes I would. It is not a substitute for teaching your children to stay close and it is not an excuse for lazy parenting, but there are times when it is warranted. For my older kids, one instance is when DD was in swimming lessons, parents sat at the edge of the pool, and I was not always able to leave DS at home so if he came, and we were sitting at the pool edge (literally about 36" away) I would put the monkey backpack on him. It was the safest way for me to be able to divide my attention between both kids. I could watch my DDs lessons and me checked in when the instructor needed parent attention and I could also know DS was always within a few feet if he broke away from my lap or hand hold.

Another example was traveling alone, with two toddlers through an international airport. DS was just a year old but DD was two. I was alone, with 2 carseats a playpen a stroller, luggage and two toddlers. Did I mention the part where I was alone? DD wore the monkey backpack for her safety and mine. DS was in a carrier of some sort, I pushed a cart with all of our stuff and DD walked, on the safety harness.

YDS, I always have the backpack in my van but have used it only when traveling through airports when I can't pack him in the ergo. Most of the time one of the big kids keeps track of him so it is t necessary but even when we all travel together, sometimes that little added bit of security is necessary. The last trip we took was the five of us and 11 pieces of baggage and a stroller and another large gate check piece. I bought a cares just so I wouldn't have to lug the carseat on the plane but still, dragging 12 large items plus a stroller through what I am sure has to be the worst airport layout wise in north America, I like to have that little added security.

So yes, I have and will probably again.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #40
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't found the need to yet. But I know it's all dependent on the child and the situation. If I thought it was necessary, yes, I would.