Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #31
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs

This really made me laugh! All 5 of my kids and whoever is on the way were conceived on Feb 1st 2005. While I find it somewhat baffling that they were all conceived the same day, it never once crossed my mind to introduce them as quints. That is insane! However, if I ever have twins again, I would really like to have them born on 2 different days and have 2 different birthdays. But, I'll still call them twins.

This reminds me of when people say sort of the opposite to me. I've had people tell me mine older set isn't really twins because they are girl/boy. I've had people tell me with both sets they aren't real twins because they are IVF. Umm...seriously, trying telling that to my uterus or my woo woo just as they came shooting out one after the other. Or come to my house and tell me that in the middle of the night during their first couple of months. Sure, they weren't spontaneous, but I still had to carry, birth and most importantly raise TWO babies born within 8 minutes of each other...in my case...2 x's 27 months apart. Silly people.
Omg, really? Wow! Lol people are so ridiculous! We're open-ish about having done IVF (it's in my siggy here, but it's nothing we've ever mentioned on our blog, FB, or anything like that), but the number of strangers who want to know "how" I got twins always cracks me up.
"Well, when a man and woman love each other very much..."

I can't imagine being told they weren't really twins though! Hah!

Advertisement

KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #32
triplet-momma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Grr to: "I'm not a mom of multiples BUT..."

Katrina just you wait...there is no depth to the stupid things people will tell you once your multiples are here. We've heard some crazy ones over the years; including one person who adamantly tried to convince me that my kids were twins not triplets
Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #33
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplet-momma View Post
Katrina just you wait...there is no depth to the stupid things people will tell you once your multiples are here. We've heard some crazy ones over the years; including one person who adamantly tried to convince me that my kids were twins not triplets

Haha!!! I get a ton of people asking if I did IVF or if twins run in my family, I say they are identical so it's not possible. Then they argue with me that identical twins run in families.

(ironically they are the THIRD set of identical twins in the family...go figure!)
Old 02-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #34
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've had a lot of people asking if I had IVF. When I was pregnant it usually came right after "was this planned". Haha!

You know, when I was pregnant I actually had a nurse say to me "Did you want 2??!!!" while making a horribly disgusting face.

Sometimes you just don't know how to respond to these things!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:35 AM   #35
Adinanna'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible
Haha! A puppy! Seriously, what are people thinking?
I'm not a mom of multiples. I jus wanted to say that my sister (who has no children yet I might add) actually told me that having puppies (she and her husband raise boxers) was harder than having a baby. Ummm, how? Cuz I'm pretty sure you can put puppies in their crate and leave the house and everything. You kind of have to take the baby with you. How in the world can she really think puppies are harder than babies? I definitely look up to y'all with multiples!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #36
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplet-momma View Post
That is too funny! People don't even realize how ignorant they are. It gives me something to laugh about later. And, you are so right. You haven't heard anything till after they are born!

When my second set were newborns, we were like celebrities walking through the stores getting stopped every few minutes by everyone commenting on us having 2 sets. I learned quickly not to make eye contact and to give short quick answers while still moving. Never stop. You'll be there for hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post
Haha!!! I get a ton of people asking if I did IVF or if twins run in my family, I say they are identical so it's not possible. Then they argue with me that identical twins run in families.

(ironically they are the THIRD set of identical twins in the family...go figure!)
I get this all the time, more now that I have 2 sets. I usually say either "They do now." and giggle or "Yes, all over the house." and laugh. It usually heads off the follow up question about fertility treatments.

When people ask how we got two sets, I usually just say "We are just blessed, I guess."

But, often people do outright ask if we used any fertility treatments. I usually tell the truth and say something like "We had some help." I don't mind telling people my kids are IVF, but I also don't go around offering the info to everyone who comments either. If I have a reason to say it, I will. Or if someone outright asks, even though I think it is none of their business, I will tell them. Often, it depends on my mood.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-15-2012 at 01:50 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #37
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

[QUOTE=HeatherlovesCDs;14650981] That is too funny! People don't even realize how ignorant they are.

I've already had a few people challenge me on whether my boys are fraternal or not. "There's no way to tell until they're out of the womb..."
Except that they had individual yolk sacs at 5 weeks, have grown at dramatically different rates, have their own placentas and amniotic sacs, and look drastically different on ultrasound already.
But these are the same experts who tell me how cool it would be to have them identical... except, you know, different genders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
But, often people do outright ask if we used any fertility treatments. I usually tell the truth and say something like "We had some help." I don't mind telling people my kids are IVF, but I also don't go around offering the info to everyone who comments either. If I have a reason to say it, I will. Or if someone outright asks, even though I think it is none of their business, I will tell them. Often, it depends on my mood.
Same here. I usually gauge what the person's motives are, as many are women who had help themselves and are just trying to relate, and I'm happy to be open.
However, the random old man who sees me shopping for a double stroller at REI does not need to know my reproductive history.
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #38
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

[QUOTE=HeatherlovesCDs;14650981] I learned quickly not to make eye contact and to give short quick answers while still moving. Never stop. You'll be there for hours.

YES!!! I was out with my mom the other day and was stopped by a person about the twins, I only smiled and kept walking. My mom asked if I was "over" the excitement of being a momma already and I dared her to talk to the next person who comments...20 minutes later she mouthed "oh my God" to me and was converted
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #39
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep -- learned early on -- keep my head down and pretend not to hear comments that aren't spoken directly to me
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #40
Melaine
Registered Users
seller

You know. it's SO interesting, I totally do the "no eye contact, very direct line to my goal, ignore the whispers behind me" thing. I am not exaggerating to say that having the girls has changed my personality. I consider myself an extrovert but my "newest" close friend, who I met only 2 years ago later told me that I gave off kind of a cool vibe and that she really had to work to get me to talk to her. That is COMPLETELY different than the way I used to be. Once you get to the point where you are stopped two or three times per errand, it gets super old. And the girls had such bad stranger anxiety, they would cry whenever people tried to come close. It's gotten much better, but I still try to ignore people unless they are right in front of me talking pretty loudly.

Totally new to cloth, so any advice and info is much appreciated!
Melaine is offline   Reply With Quote