Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Suburbangranola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
SVT in Pregnancy?

I have been struggling with SVT this pregnancy. It was HORRIBLE during the first trimester. During the second trimester things got better but I had to stay super hydrated. If I get even a little dehydrated I start feeling my heart pound. Now Im at 34 weeks and I can't seem to get it under control. Did any of you have it too? What did you do that helped? I'm so ready to get this baby out so I can get the ablation and be done with this. I hate living this way!!

Advertisement

Bonnie. Christian, homeschooling, cloth diapering, non-circumcising, breast feeding, baby wearing, home cooking, granola-type wife to my amazing (hard working, awesome father) husband Brian, mommy to 6 crazy cool kids, B 3-98, A 9-00, J 4-02, P 4-04, Lil A 2-07,Lil P 7-10 and one sweet peanut due 3-12.
My poor neglected blog: www.suburbangranola.com
Suburbangranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: SVT in Pregnancy?

have you talked to your doctor about it? Ever worn a heart monitor? Are there any meds safe to take in your third trimester?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Suburbangranola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
have you talked to your doctor about it? Ever worn a heart monitor? Are there any meds safe to take in your third trimester?
Yes, I have a wonderful cardiologist. Yes, I wore a holter monitor for an entire month. I have had an echocardiogram...everything looks normal and they think they can ablate the extra pathway causing the problem. Basically it's just a nuisance and nothing life threatening. It makes me nauseas, weak, shaky, feels as if I'm going to pass out. He does not want to give me medicines while I am pregnant unless we have to (may be to that point) My OB has said that I need to stay very hydrated (that did help) and I noticed eating a LOT of protein also helps to a certain extent. So I was hoping some other moms had maybe noticed something helped them.
Bonnie. Christian, homeschooling, cloth diapering, non-circumcising, breast feeding, baby wearing, home cooking, granola-type wife to my amazing (hard working, awesome father) husband Brian, mommy to 6 crazy cool kids, B 3-98, A 9-00, J 4-02, P 4-04, Lil A 2-07,Lil P 7-10 and one sweet peanut due 3-12.

Last edited by Suburbangranola; 02-12-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
seacat
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I only have this problem in late pregnancy and then it goes away until we decide to have another child. I had it checked out and it was not life threatening and was not harming the baby so I have never opted to have it treated. Basically I just take it easy and make sure I'm eating right and not consuming any stimulants at all. It is a pain though.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I only asked b/c I know there are a lot of natural mamas here that pretty much refuse western medicine but to me, heart problems are something that need to be evaluated by an actual physician

My mom has SVT episodes (she's actually doing a month of monitoring now) but like the pp mentioned, she's found not consuming stimulants helps but that seems like an obvious one. It's interesting more hydration helps, i'll have to mention that to her.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What is SVT???? I've not heard of it.... but for the first time ever while preggo (normally I don't have these issues - just this time around) I feel very shaky and weak and light headed and a lot of times like I can't get a good breath although I'm breathing just fine.... dr. seems to think its low iron but hasn't really helped with iron supplements.... but don't know what SVT is either...so i'm just curious...
Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Super ventricular tachycardia (rapid heart beat at times would be the main noticeable symptom)
Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Humm. I know mine feels like it's racing a lot. But when I check my bp and heart rate its pretty normal. Not high like when I'm on terbutaline
Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Suburbangranola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingkristin View Post
Humm. I know mine feels like it's racing a lot. But when I check my bp and heart rate its pretty normal. Not high like when I'm on terbutaline
What is your rate? I'm very sensitive so anything over 95 feels like my heart is pounding.
I ended up in the hospital Monday because I was feeling dizzy, nauseas, shaky and weak. My OB sent me over because my heart rate was causing baby's to go up to 170. Mine was only around 115. So they gave me 2 liters of fluids and monitored us for a while. Fluids seemed to help though.
SVT can be very hard to catch on a monitor. Believe me, it took forever to get it documented for me.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Suburbangranola
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
I only asked b/c I know there are a lot of natural mamas here that pretty much refuse western medicine but to me, heart problems are something that need to be evaluated by an actual physician

My mom has SVT episodes (she's actually doing a month of monitoring now) but like the pp mentioned, she's found not consuming stimulants helps but that seems like an obvious one. It's interesting more hydration helps, i'll have to mention that to her.
I had lunch with my friend today who is a critical care cardio nurse and she confirmed (what my OB insisted) even slight dehydration is a big trigger. I go between water and Gatorade to keep my electrolytes in balance. I just can't seem to get hydration under control orally