Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
reading comprehension for struggling 5th grader

DD isn't homeschooled, but I thought this would be the ideal place to ask this question. She has ADHD and has struggled for the last couple years with reading comprehension but has managed to do okay to pass with at least a B. This year in 5th grade, she's struggling even more. Her grade is a high C at the moment, but if she doesn't pass the CRCT (standardized test) then she won't pass 5th grade. She's very upset about this and I hate that she's trying and still having trouble.

So, is there anything that you ladies can recommend that I could work on with her at home to help her in this area? I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.

Amanda: mommy to DDs Alyssa and Trinity (ADHD) and DS Joseph "LJ" (aspergers, ADHD) and my fur baby Bella Rae Wife to Joe
AVDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: reading comprehension for struggling 5th grader

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's struggle. Being dyslexic, I have had a lot of issues with reading and still have to read very slowly to understand anything (my reading speed ranks 8% when compared to others my age.) There are a few things you can do to help her with learning in general and reading specifically.

1) Figure out her learning style - how does she learn easily and quickly and try to guide her studies with her learning style in mind. (I am personally a musical/auditory meaning if I hear something - especially music - I remember. My secondary areas are pictorial/tactile. So if I see a picture that illustrates what is being discussed or keep my hands moving, then I remember even more.)

2) Start reading out loud - my mom started reading stories to me right away. She then started switching off one paragraph at a time where she would read and then I would. We then switched to chapters and then to only me reading.

3) while you are reading, stop and ask her questions about each sentence and then each paragraph and then each major section and then each chapter. This is a lot more work than it sounds, but it will teach her how to find the important points without her actually realizing what is happening.

4) try to control the ADHD with diet. A lot of the people I have heard of or met with ADHD have trigger foods like artificial sweeteners or corn syrup with make things worse for them. Try to experiment a little with foods that have non natural ingredients and see what makes her react.

5) Assure her that she will be able to may just take her a bit longer to get things straitened out. I did not really start reading until middle school and then my mom couldn't get me out of the library (the school librarian knew me by name!)

I hope this helps. You both have a hard task in front of you, but it is possible. Just hang in there!
Marrvelous is offline   Reply With Quote