Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Shalom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Please Talk Me Through the 3-Day Potty Training Method!

Background: DD1 is 22 months and for several months has been showing signs of readiness: asking to be changed after peeing or pooping, telling us before, during, and after that she has to pee or poop, holding it for hours, and being dry during naps since she was like 4 months old. She will sit on the little potty we have set up in the living room, but only for like 30 seconds and then she wants to get up. Even when she does sit for longer nothing happens. We have let her run around naked and when she needs to go to the bathroom, she begs us for a diaper or trainer. If we don't put her in one, she starts to freak out and screams, culminating in blood-curtiling screams when she is soiling herself. THen she is either scared of her pee and runs to us to hold her, or she is facinated with her poop (she always has been). She has never gone pee or poop in the toilet except when she was a baby (around 4 months old) and we dabbled in elimination communication, and then ONCE a month or two ago when she had panties on and she went and sat on the potty (with her panties still on) and peed through them (which was awesome because the pee went through them and went into the potty. We praised her and she was very proud, but nothing happened again. We've tried setting her on the potty with drinks, toys, a straw, books, etc with no luck. The same thing happens when we let her go around the house with no diaper and just her pants on. She screams when she pees and comes running. I know she is capable of potty training [she knows that she needs to pee/poop in the potty (she watches us and gives a comentary of what my DH and I are doing on the potty), she can tell us before she goes that she needs to, she can sit on the potty without being afraid]...there is just a disconnect, maybe, between knowing and doing, or knowing and WANTING to do? She's allergic to chocolate, but we could do smarties and stickers as a reward. (Her major food allergies are another reason why we NEED to potty train....so her bottom won't get so raw when the poop touches her skin (even for a breif minute). She is in preschool 4 days a week (she's a brilliant, above average child), and while they set them on the potty about 2-3 times in four hours, they won't let you wear underwear without those plastic dappi pants over them, or they need to be in trainers (we do cloth trainers [AP] for preschool and cloth diapers [BG Pockets] for home).

I understand that the 3-Day potty training's basic method is (and correct me if I'm wrong....we just can't afford to buy the e-book at the moment):
1. lots of liquids
2. positive reinforcement
3. underwear only (only during the day, or at night, too??)
4. remind, remind, remind
5. Stay with it for the three whole days

Anything I'm missing? Also, if we start this on a friday afternoon after school, what should we do on tuesday when she goes back to preschool? Put her in trainers again? Or buy some dappi covers again? I think she'll still have leaks if we do the underwear/dappi thing because she pees a lot and just underwear won't absorb it all and preschool won't be too happy about that since they already aren't too happy about cloth trainers (we're the only ones that cloth diaper there). PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Advertisement

The hurt a troubled child creates is never greater than the hurt they feel inside. -T.

Last edited by Shalom; 02-13-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please Talk Me Through the 3-Day Potty Training Method!

I would love to know too. I'm going to potty train my DD next month. She will be 18 months old. She hates the wetness dripping down her leg feeling (found out with some diaper leaks) but dosn't care if she is wet in a diaper. She already poops in the toilet.

Also another question to ad to OP's: What is a good carpet scrubber to clean up pee - My house is all carpet!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would love to know too. I'm going to potty train my DD next month. She will be 18 months old. She hates the wetness dripping down her leg feeling (found out with some diaper leaks) but dosn't care if she is wet in a diaper. She already poops in the toilet.

Also another question to ad to OP's: What is a good carpet scrubber to clean up pee - My house is all carpet!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did the 3 day method and I have to say it was a bit of a failure with us! I really stuck with it for 3 days, and while it worked to give her the idea of using the potty, 2.5 months later she is still having accidents and poops in her underwear/ diaper most days. I really really tried, and only a few weeks ago gave in and stuck her in pullups for nights and when we go out. It's just been so so hard and I am tired of cleaning up. basically I told her the other day that she is welcome to use the toilet, I am not going to remind her anymore, but if she has accidents then she will have to wear a diaper again. She doesn't really care much! It's just so gross and we have carpets upstairs! Our main problem is now that she poos in her pullup/underwear and then pulls it off and goes to sit on the potty. So now we have poo EVERYWHERE, on the floor, on her legs, on the potty etc. I'm so tired of it!

Anyhow yep you have the basics of the 3 day method, and yep they have to wear underwear at night as well (Actually at nights our daughter is ok, as long as when she wakes up we right away tell her to go to the potty or take her).

I don't know the answer to your questions. We have stuck her in pull-ups for school, I don't think the teachers want to deal with that kind of mess, she only goes 1 day though (and only just started). And actually she was dry the whole 6 hours the other day, when i picked her up she was still in the same pullup. The teacher told me she took her every hour. Anyway... I was going to go with cloth trainers but it just seems stupid for one day, and she is too unreliable to stick her in underwear at this point.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

It worked for us, but I do think it's a bit ridiculous that the author guarantees it will work for every single child, since it obviously doesn't (hugs, PP).

For us, the specific language used with DS made all the difference. We had tried with just 'Do you need to go potty' and 'Lets go use the potty', and DS was really protesting. When we switched to 'Let mommy know if you have to go potty', while watching closely to help him identify his cues and rush him in with 'Hurry!' when he had accidents, it made a world of difference. There are more accidents her way but that's because you really are teaching the child to recognize their own body's cues.