Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #11
wholesomemama
Registered Users
seller

Re: my baby is sick - rash, fever, and cranky

Roseola? Or, if it's mostly hands and feet (and bottom), Hand Foot and Mouth?

Advertisement

wholesomemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #12
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't always treat even a high fever, its a body's work to get rid of the invaders. We were told that the body won't let an internal fever go above 106.7 only heat stroke does that, so we were told it was ok to leave a fever alone. We treat the child not the thermometer. So if he's acting fine he probably is fine. My son has had so many scary germs and weird symptoms and we've had to learn to FIRST look at the child. If Lochlan still likes his favorite things, is soothed (even momentarily) by me, and will still get up to play, even if its "slow play" and just a little- then its not time to panic.
It could be heat rash- but that rash IME fades REALLY fast with cooling. It could be hand-foot-mouth disease and maybe you were spared orally with one or just a few mouth sores. Rocky Mountain Spotted fever also affects hands and feet though so I'd like you to google that and see if it sounds like what he has at all. Otherwise my ped says rashes are the bane of a DRs office. MOST are "just a virus" and theres nothing to do for them and they get the parents all "in a wad" LOL We had a rash that lasted almost 3 weeks with one of my kids. The fever should be gone by today though right? Its been 3 days and thats typically the burnout length on a fever, so hopefully he'll be symptom free in a minute
Old 06-13-2006, 09:30 AM   #13
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

His fever is definately down, I haven't even checked it. Just a guess, I'd say its around 100 - 101 maybe.

The rash is still there, getting darker and more spread...still concerns me. I have seen a lot of rashes, but I don't think I've ever seen them start out at the ankles/soles and hands. This Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever things REALLY has me freaked out. Last Fall we had a tick problem - I bought something (plant stuff) from CT or NY (somewhere around there) and it was infested with ticks. Although, I had no clue what they were at that point - they looked freshly hatched, I did find the mama bug though - positive it was a tick. Fastforward a few months and my dds room is infested with ticks too. I thought we had it all taken care of, I haven't seen anything in months. The room has been sprayed twice and a treatment put in the carpet. BUT we have been in there a LOT recently in the last week getting the room put back together (dd has been in our bed).

The really freaky part, a couple days ago I woke up in the AM from a bad dream....all it was was picking up one of the plastic bins in my dds room (thats been holding toys for months now) and finding a big nasty tick on the side of it

I called the docs office, the nurse took my info to give to the doc - just waiting for a cal back. I think I'll call them and just make an appt though. This rash seems to be getting angrier whatever it is.

Taking a break to focus on God & family

Last edited by MamaJo; 06-13-2006 at 09:32 AM.
MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #14
MamaJo
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Well, the doc says it sound like it could be either Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or Hand Foot Mouth - either one, to tell for sure he has to have blood drawn. So we're going to the hosp. The doc said go to the ER but I'm hoping we can just go to the lab and skip the ER waiting room....

Now I'm off to bathe my stinky little boy I tend to let baths slide when he's running a high fever....

Last edited by MamaJo; 06-13-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:13 AM   #15
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

Oh no Jo Update me immediately
Old 06-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #16
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh no! I'm sorry to hear it. I hope they get the blood drawn in one quick try and that the results come in quickly
Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #17
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

good luck . I wanted to chime in you can get a rash with a viral infection we went through it
Audriannasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #18
MamaJo
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We ended up getting in with the doc instead of going to the ER. She agreed that it seemed like it could be RMSF, but if it was, it was a mild case. His rash isn't nearly as bad as the textbook pics. The rash does seem to still be growing though...

After the doc appt, we headed for the lab. It took two tries...his vein collapsed the first time and they hadn't gotten enough blood He did really good though! We kept talking to him about ice cream and pizza

We're supposed to call back in a few hours to see if they know anything yet....

Last edited by MamaJo; 06-13-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:11 PM   #19
Audriannasmommy
Registered Users

good luck we have to worry about ticks also. we have a big pond in our back yard , woods, and tons of ducks anywhere between 20-30
Audriannasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #20
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

so...what's the word?