Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #21
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: average hospital costs?

Total for a simple vaginal delivery here is 18K or so. That is with no meds, and only a one night hospital stay. This does NOT cover any prenatal or postnastal care! My cost with insurance would be about $4,500.

I'm happy we're having a home birth this time! The whole thing is only $3,900 and that includes birth tub, all prenatal care, and postnastal care.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #22
georgiasmommy
Registered Users
seller

My DD was an ER c-section almost 5 yrs ago, and it nickel and dimed us to death... anesthesiologist was about $1500 OOP, Dr. office was almost $1000 OOP, then the hospital was another $1000 or so OOP. Not to mention the labs were billed separately, and then the pediatrician's bill for DD was just under $400. We spent probably just over $4000 for DD. This baby is a scheduled c/s and I am hoping for a smaller bill. It looks like you have good insurance from what you were reading on your booklet.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #23
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Wow!! I'm shocked at people's oop cost after insurance picks up. Our total oop for prenatal, hospital, and post natal plus baby care was $2500. The pre insurance bills totaled at least $34000 but we paid at or less than $2500. Our premiums were $275 a month. We had a $300 deductible for the first 2 people total then no dedutible for the rest. Max out of pocket for each person was $2000 with a family max of $4000.

I forgot the insurance said baby's charges processed through on my name until the day after discharge. The charges above also include home nurse visits and an at home bili light rental for 3 days. Plus several doctors visits and blood draws.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 02-14-2012 at 07:26 PM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #24
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
With DS, the hospital bill, not including the OB or anesthesia, was about $18k. We stayed 24 hours after delivery. Very straight forward birth. The bill included all of DS's care. We paid $0 out of pocket because DH's insurance was amazing and covered the hospital, OB, and anesthesia 100%.

With DD, we stayed 48 post birth because she needed monitored for a heart murmur. They rolled the anesthesia bill into the hospital bill, which was covered 100%, so we didn't pay anything toward the $23k+ bill but we did have to pay my $200 deductible plus 20% of the OB bill. All told was $1,200. We may have a $1k max OOP, plus $200 deductible, per person but I can't remember.

The hospital rates in either case were actually the amounts pre-adjustment, not the negotiated rates. The negotiated rates were lower, I just remember the initial amounts.
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #25
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow. I never realized how lucky we are. We pay nothing, for pretty much any health related items, except for aroud $3.25 copay for perscriptions. I will say we have state health care (in MA you MUST have insurance, and I'm a SAHM and DF's job doesn't offer insurance so we qualify for state). Until recently we paid for the state insurance, less than $50 per month and copays ranging from $10-$35. That was it. Now we pay nothing except the perscriptions. With DS's birth we had no bills, I never even saw a bill before insurance. They cover carseats, breastpumps, bike helmets, lots of stuff. I used to get reimbursed $150 per year for acupuncture too.

I think its sad that some have to pay so much for birth. Even with "good" insurance. Giving birth should never lead to possible financial ruin. Not that that's whats happened here, but I know if we had to pay that much we'd probably have 1 child max. And no one should be limited by insurance

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #26
Elijah'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
Wow. I never realized how lucky we are. We pay nothing, for pretty much any health related items, except for aroud $3.25 copay for perscriptions. I will say we have state health care (in MA you MUST have insurance, and I'm a SAHM and DF's job doesn't offer insurance so we qualify for state). Until recently we paid for the state insurance, less than $50 per month and copays ranging from $10-$35. That was it. Now we pay nothing except the perscriptions. With DS's birth we had no bills, I never even saw a bill before insurance. They cover carseats, breastpumps, bike helmets, lots of stuff. I used to get reimbursed $150 per year for acupuncture too.
yikes! i want to move to MA
Elijah'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #27
Momof6girlz
Registered Users
Formerly: steenerson7
seller

My Mood:

WOW!!! The cost of inflation is crazy!!! We have been lucky to have insurance that has paid 100% for our last 4 births. We had no insurance when I had my first dd (15 yr ago)and it only cost us just over $3000!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #28
Amanda+2
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for all the replies. I honestly find it so sad that healthcare costs so much here. its shocking!
Amanda+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #29
FluffyBum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My first birth costed us around $5000 after everything!! And I had a vaginal birth and delivered after five hours of being there and stayed till the next day.
This time we are having a home birth. With midwife and doula services it will $4,500 and so far the care has been unbelievable with my midwife. She is very attentive and always available for any questions. We are never rushed through our appointments. It's amazing not being just another "patient". I wish more insurance companies would cover midwives. They would save soo much money. But of course only for the nonrisk pregnancies.
FluffyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #30
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We paid between $3000-$4000 out of pocket for everything. I had a vaginal hospital birth with a MW. I never saw an OB. I did get an epidural. We stayed two nights. DS never went to the nursery. He was circumcised.

We have pretty decent health insurance. At least, I think we have pretty decent health insurance.