Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #21
Fusion
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else NOT circ-ing their boy?

DS isn't circed, and it has never been an issue. We have a very friendly pedi (he was actually my pedi as a little baby and told my mom at the time that he thought circing was cruel) and everyone who diapers him knows the deal. It really has been a non-issue in terms of care, much less than what I hear about from moms w/ babies w/ circumcisions.

Advertisement

Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
my5sons
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

4 of my 5 sons are non-circ'd...only the oldest was done, and that was mainly because I was 19, uninformed, and didn't really feel like I had a choice. Now that I know better, I wish I hadn't allowed him to be done, but it hasn't caused him any problems. The same goes for the rest of my boys...I had family members warning me about infection issues and that they would feel 'odd' being different, but none of them seem bothered whatsoever by being intact. We have not experienced any issues with infections, and caring for them as babies was not complicated in the least. When I was in nursing school ( and pregnant with DS #4! ) I actually watched a baby being circed during my hospital clinicals...it was awful! Even with pain medication the baby cried, and it just seemed so unnecessary. I was glad I had decided not to circ after DS #1, and it just confirmed to me that for my boys, non-circ'ing was the way to go...so DS#6, when he finally gets here, lol, will remain intact as well :-)
Old 02-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #23
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://birthybusiness.blogspot.com/2...erica-day.html

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #24
ClemsonMama87
Registered Users
Formerly: macsmommy10
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH & I got to have this fun convo when we found out we were having a boy but he eventually agreed with me I showed him all the stats/research on why it's unnecessary and how small the percentage actually is of boys being circ'd. My mom wants us to do it but she has a good reason-my brother wasn't circ'd at birth, got a bad infection at 2, and had to be circ'd then. I remember him being in so much pain (I was 5) and I'm determined to not do that to any son of mine!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:

Anyone know where I can get some of those stickers "I'm intact, Don't retract" to put on his diapers?

OH and to clarify, I'm not anxious about not having DS circ'd (I'm actually super excited about being educated about it and making a good decision). I'm anxious about him being "mistreated" (not sure if that wording is correct...) when he's not. KWIM?
~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!
mercyscreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #26
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

thread stalking!

at our first pedi appt. when DS was itty bitty I told the doc to stay away from his penis (a little nicer than that lol) and have simply told anyone watching him not to mess with anything.

Poop doesn't generally get in there b/c the foreskin is fused to the glans. *if* something does get in there it is either washed out by urine or taken care of by the lysozomes etc present in the membranes of the foreskin, the body is great at taking care of things if you don't mess with the balance. Ds is almost 4.5 and has never once had a problem. My brothers back in New Zealand are also intact and just fine!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #27
mom24munchkins
Registered Users
seller
seller

We circ'd ds 1 and 2 but ds 3 is going to remain intact. And frankly...its no ones business but ours...and his when he is older
Old 02-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #28
TPLmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonMama87
DH & I got to have this fun convo when we found out we were having a boy but he eventually agreed with me I showed him all the stats/research on why it's unnecessary and how small the percentage actually is of boys being circ'd. My mom wants us to do it but she has a good reason-my brother wasn't circ'd at birth, got a bad infection at 2, and had to be circ'd then. I remember him being in so much pain (I was 5) and I'm determined to not do that to any son of mine!
My brother had an issue with not being circ'd too & had his surgery around age 8 or 9.

I think there's always those kind of risks to consider, but at least we know if it gets to that point, then surgery is medically necessary instead of just cosmetic. YKWIM?
TPLmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #29
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Dh and I had this discussion when I was obsessively researching while TTC, and it came up that OHIP doesn't cover circumcisions. Since our provincial health care wouldn't cover it, that raised alarm bells that this was probably something we should look into, as if it was important to baby's health, they'd cover it. When we realized that for most boys it's a cosmetic procedure that few actually NEED (and I believe if it's deemed necessary it's covered, just not as a routine procedure), we decided against it. Now since we're leaning towards this baby being our last, and the ultrasounds are all coming up sans boy parts, the discussion is looking somewhat academic, but we did discuss it just in case.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #30
Farmer's Wife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPLmommy View Post
My brother had an issue with not being circ'd too & had his surgery around age 8 or 9.

I think there's always those kind of risks to consider, but at least we know if it gets to that point, then surgery is medically necessary instead of just cosmetic. YKWIM?
My dad had to be circ'd as an adult, due to an infection. I think it was some time after I came along. Poor dad!

My friend's son had to be circ'd due to infection at age 2 and it was horrible! He was sad too and wanted his old 'wenis' back b/c this one hurt after surgery. (It could have been avoided had been done at birth. She is now an advocate for the procedure)

My sister has been a surgical nurse for 20 years. She said that she sees MANY boys and men come in from urology for surgery. She said that it's pretty much always a guarantee that it's for circumcision. All of these reasons lead us to the decision to have it done, but it wasn't an easy decison and it wasn't easy to follow through with either. The pain lasted for a day or two tops. We are very glad we did it though, knowing that our son will never have any issues with his wenis in the future.

That said, the topic of circumcision is one of those topics that are personal, like vac'ing, religion, politics, breastfeeding vs formulafeeding, sleep training, etc. I usually want to stay out of these discussions but it's so hard when I know where I stand. So just take what you want from my comment and carrry on.