Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
newtodiaper78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Trouble sleep training my almost 7 months old

So I'm trying to sleep-train baby P right now and it's really a battle. Some background first.

Baby P has been sleeping w ith me almost everyday since he came back from the hospital. I would nurse him and sleep with him on the bed, because it was just easier. But he was also a harder baby to put to sleep, as compared to my DS1. Baby P needs human contact at all time, especially to sleep. If you try to put him down before he's fully asleep, he will wake up. However, I was slowly training him to sleep by himself in the crib with some success.

So when he was about 4.5 months old, we took a long trip home to Asia for about 2 months. There was no crib in Asia, so he kept on sleeping next to me on the bed. It came to a point that it was not sustainable as he was waking up every 2 to 3 hours to nurse and I was so sleep deprived during those 2 months. It came to a point where I would just let him cry until my mom would come over and take over. He would sleep very well when my mom carried him over because 1) by then he was tired, 2) my mom would pat and hold him to sleep.

When we came back 2 weeks ago, we decided to start sleep training baby P. We let him get over the jetlag first, and then started last Friday. I have to say, it was HARD. The first night at about 9.30pm, I would nurse him and put him down to sleep in his crib, with him hugging my hand to sleep. Yes, he needs to hug my hand before he will fall asleep. After that, he would sleep for about a few hours before waking up again. This time, DH took over and went over to comfort him. During the nights where he woke up in the middle of the nights, I realized that he didn't need to nurse because he was hungry. He nursed because he wanted comfort.

So anyway, DH went over and tried to pat him to sleep. That didn't work very well because baby P was up wailing his lungs out for about 1++hours before falling asleep. After that, he knocked out till about 6am.

So second night, we did the same thing. Nursed him and put him into the crib to sleep. I let him hug my hand again and he fell asleep. This time he didn't wake up again till 5.30am. I would call that a success.

Third night, we did the same thing. Nursed him and put him into the crib. I always made that he's tired before putting him into the crib. I then covered his hands with the blanket, so he didn't need my hand to sleep. That went relatively well, since he went to sleep pretty quickly. However, I stayed in the room till I knew he was sleeping before I left. But he woke up at about 2am or so, crying. DH went over to comfort him, but he cried for about 30 mins before knocking out. He woke up at about 6.30am or so, but that was because DS1 woke baby P up.

Fourth night, same thing. Baby P woke up at about 1am, but after 20 mins of crying, he went back to sleep. Woke up at 6.50am, and was a somewhat happy baby.

So I have to say, the night training has been working. However, my problem comes with his daytime naps. Baby P is either resisting his nap, or just wants me around. Sometimes, putting him into the crib for his nap is relatively easy. I would nurse him and then put him in. I wrap his hands in the blanket, so he'll be weaned off the hand-hugging. On a good day, he'll sleep for 1.5 hours. Bad day, refuses to sleep at all and become super-cranky.

Everytime I bring him upstairs and place him into the crib, he'll start crying. It's like he knows that being in the crib is for him to sleep. He would go on crying until I take him out. I'll take him downstairs and pay attention to him. I would do this a few times a day. It reached a point where he got so tired, that he would fall asleep on the couch. But once I move away, he seems to know and would wake up. I did trying putting him in my bed one day, but when he woke up and realized that I was there, no amount of comforting could put him back to sleep. When DS1 had a nightmare during the afternoon nap and I had to deal with it, Baby P started crying to keep me there with him.

You know, it's really hard for me since I have deal with DS1 as well. Baby P seems to want my attention at all time. If I move away to go to the kitchen for a while, he would start crying.

I'm not sure what to do. I cannot be standing over the crib everyday so that he can sleep. I can tell he's tired but for some reason, he refuses to sleep. He has been crying so much that his voice is hoarse now. Being in the same room with him doesn't help much, because he still wants my hand around. I would pat him and stroke his forehead, but it just doesn't have the same effect as my arm.

I'm really at a loss now. We're trying Ferber, with CIO being the last resort. He really doesn't want to be calmed down. He wants to be held and rocked to sleep. He wants the arm, or nothing else.

So anyone got any suggestions? I'm very very frustrated with him and I'm not sure what other options are left. I cannot attend to him at all times because I still have DS1 to deal with. Luckily DS1 is a bit understanding that mommy has to deal with baby P but his understanding can only stretch so far.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Has he always been like this? Have you tried swaddling his arms? Is he teething? Close to 8 months is a sleep regression as well...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Trouble sleep training my almost 7 months old

I understand your frustration and sleep deprivation, but he sounds pretty normal for a 7 month old. My DD was a HORRIBLE sleeper at that age (like up every hour to nurse all night), but I knew she wasn't ready to night wean or sleep train. Closer to a year, she did night wean and started sttn. My only advice is to take it day by day, nap by nap and remember that this time in his babyhood will pass so quickly. Have you tried a baby carrier for those days when he just won't take a nap? My DD would fight it so hard some days, but would sleep in my Ergo and I could actually get some things done. As far as sleep training at night, I did a very light version of CIO when my DD was about 12 months (never let her cry more than 5ish minutes) but I am not sure that at 7 months he necessarily has the ability to self-soothe yet. Of course, he is your child and you know him best, but be prepared to get some responses on this forum that do not support CIO techniques in any form.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
newtodiaper78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

He was swaddled till about 5 months. I slowly broke him of that habit in Asia when he kept on wiggling free of his swaddle. It became hard to put him back into the swaddle a few times a night while being sleep-deprived.

I don't think he's teething as he's not showing signs of being irritated or anything. His 2 bottom teeth broke through before he's 6 months, and he does enjoy chewing on things.

Yea, I know there are probably people on this forum that will crucify me for using CIO. But I do need to think about myself and the baby. If I'm sleep deprived, I can get really grumpy and impatient, which at the end of the day is not to the benefit of my kids.

I can tell that Baby P is a more clingy/needy baby than DS1. DS1 was easier to train and had no trouble self-soothing himself to sleep. I'm just trying not to rock him to sleep because I need him to be somewhat independent so I can deal with DS1. I'm not kidding when I say that baby P will start crying the minute I move away from him. He wants to be carried ALL THE TIME. The only way he would let you put him down on the floor is if you are sitting next to him. Even a pile of toys in front of him won't distract him from my absence. So that means if I need to use the bathroom, he has to come with me, else it's a crying fest in the crib.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
BabyCentric
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think we have the same baby. He is good for dh, but whiney and clingy with me. He hasn't slept more than 45min today and I had to hold him. I wish I had some advice, but I can commiserate.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
newtodiaper78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyCentric View Post
I think we have the same baby. He is good for dh, but whiney and clingy with me. He hasn't slept more than 45min today and I had to hold him. I wish I had some advice, but I can commiserate.
Both our babies were born within days of each other. Maybe that's why they are so similar.

I'm just trying to set up a regular schedule for baby P so he will be rested and not so cranky. Today he only had a short 45 mins morning nap, and a short 30 mins afternoon nap. And he fell asleep in my arms at about 7.30pm because he couldn't keep himself up anymore. Once I put him down in the crib (as my arms needed a break), he woke up and won't go back to sleep.

So i wonder if i should just persevere and keep on trying to put him on a schedule. When we were in Asia, he did have a proper schedule...