Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Where do you get infant sleepers that...

If you wash the clothes a few times, the fire retardant actually washes out. Or so I was told by a fabric retailer.

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesWidda View Post
Dumb question, but what's wrong with the fire retardant in pajamas? Wouldn't that be the safest thing in the event of a fire? Honestly just wondering. Maybe you all know something I don't.
personally I don't like the feel/smell of the treated fabric. I also don't think it's necessary since my kids aren't smoking in bed. Or out of bed even. If a house fire gets close enough to catch their clothes on fire in the first place, I'm thinking the fire retardant isn't going to be all that helpful.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD just wears old tshirts of mine & DH's to bed. ODS has always hated pjs and slept in just a diaper when he was a baby (usually with a wool cover or shorties), occasionally did the old tshirt thing, and mostly just in boxers now. YDS seems to like pjs, I've been buying a size up, but I think I'm gonna start using busha leggings & tshirts for him.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If it's 100% cotton and tight fitting, it doesn't require fireproofing. Polyester untreated is extremely flammable. We like Carter's or Hanna andersson.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Dumb question, but what's wrong with the fire retardant in pajamas? Wouldn't that be the safest thing in the event of a fire? Honestly just wondering. Maybe you all know something I don't.
Toxic chemicals next to your child's skin, all night long. No thanks.

I get Hanna Andersson from Costco. They are snug but we go a size up (but mostly because my baby is so dang chubby).
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #16
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I don't know what caused my cancer (Lymphoma) and I am just wanting to be extra careful with my next child. I make all of my son's PJ's right now but babies grow so quickly that I don't think that is practical. I know I will be flying with the next child when they are about 6 months old and I am ALREADY thinking of crocheting a wool outfit for that day. And I am 5 months from even trying to get pregnant.

Thank you for all the recommendations! I am going to have to keep an eye out for sales... especially after September (God willing).
Old 02-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Buy them used. The chemical will be all washed out.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, tight-fitting cotton jammies. Or, we also use a lot of "playsuits" - the labels say "not meant to be used as sleepwear".

Fire retardants scare the heck out of me, and I don't see the benefit of them, honestly. I don't burn candles and let my kid play around them, I don't smoke over my kid's bed while he's sleeping in it. If there were an actual house fire, I would assume that smoke inhalation would be a factor well before flames were.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
fitmomCA
Registered Users
seller

We buy our PJ's at Costco. They are 100% organic cotton and do not have flame retardants in them.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I second the costco organic jammies. They are awesome.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote