Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
KimKim
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Every poop is green

Last night and today, her poops have been more yellowish, but still watery. How does the Dr diagnose dairy intolerance? Are there tests, or will I just have to stop eating it, wait and find out? She isn't congested, just gassy and watery poops.

Advertisement

KimKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had this issue.
I was told by our first pediatrician to give up dairy, then to give up soy/glutens. Uh didn't help! (I did have results from lowering the amount of acidic foods I ate like Tomatoes, lemons, etc but she has reflux too)

We had other issues so we switched pediatricians. At the second, I was told it was a hind milk issue... ie not getting the "good fat" milk. I was told to pump 5 minutes before feeding or to only feed one breast per feeding. We chose the 2nd option because I didn't want to encourage the oversupply by pumping. When my daughter would get disintrested instead of switching, I'd stop, burp, then feed agian on the same breast. Only after she ate 15 to 20 (total) would I let her switch if she was still hungry. This really helped with decreasing the green frequent stools and she started to gain weight!

We are going strong at 7 months and my supply evened out!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Usually you just give up a food for a week or 2. If you get results, you don't eat that anymore. Then you can try those foods again in a few months and if it reoccures, you stop. If it's fine, you get to eat that again. It isn't very scientific. I don't think they allergy test children till they are older and eating food for themselves. (But I could be wrong)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

This is *exactly* what was going on with my 6mo and it was a dairy allergy. I can eat occasional bit of cheese or something with trace dairy, but absolutely cannot put milk in my coffee, eat ice cream, etc. It literally gave him blisters on his bum previously until I figured it out. He is totally fine with me eating trace amounts, but large amounts really bother him. With my oldest though I couldn't even do trace amounts. I would totally cut all dairy out, even trace amounts and give it a few weeks.

ETA: For me, it was literally only a day or two before he was starting to feel better and poops started turning yellow again.

Last edited by FernHollow; 02-14-2012 at 04:07 PM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimKim
This is happening to my baby too. She has her 1 month appointment tomorrow, and I was going to ask about it. She cries more than my SIL's baby though and I know she is gassy sometimes.
Can you please update us on what your doc tells you tomorrow?
Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
Kelbel81906
Registered Users
seller

I would bring in a stool sample (or just a poopy diaper) and ask them to test for blood. My oldest two boys both had milk protein allergies and green, mucousy stools were one of the symptoms. They also screamed like banchees and were very gassy!
Old 02-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

is it kind of frothy? is your lo making clicking noises when eating? it could be a forceful letdown whoch is making baby struggle to maintain latch leading to getting air with milk.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sounds very much like a dairy or some other allergy. A LOT of docs for some reason shy away from dealing with allergies with nursing moms, not sure the reasoning. I think you may be surprised at what else improves if you cut dairy and/or soy out of your diet. I didn't realize my daughters diaper rash, cradle cap, silent reflux, "baby acne," nasal congestion, etc. were all stemming from her dairy and soy allergy. It is a sacrifice but it was worth it.

Last edited by nursenmom; 02-14-2012 at 06:42 PM.
nursenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's not really frothy but she does click when latched. When she looses the latch milk is spraying everywhere. What gets me is the lack of other symptoms. She sleeps well and rarely cries. She's a happy baby. I'm going to cut dairy just to see if her poop turns yellow again. I'm sure it will help me loose some of this pregnancy weight I'm still carrying.

She just pooped and it was watery green with green speckles.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdra
It's not really frothy but she does click when latched. When she looses the latch milk is spraying everywhere. What gets me is the lack of other symptoms. She sleeps well and rarely cries. She's a happy baby. I'm going to cut dairy just to see if her poop turns yellow again. I'm sure it will help me loose some of this pregnancy weight I'm still carrying.

She just pooped and it was watery green with green speckles.
that definitely sounds like over active letdown /hindmilk issue to me. usually baby is showing other signs/discomfort with food sensitivities. don't flame me, but I think food allergies are the "it" diagnosis right now and are overly blamed imo you said you were feeding on one side for two feedings in a row? how often do you feed? I would block feed for more feedings/longer period.