Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #21
KimKim
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Every poop is green

Yes, of course I will update after my appointment.
For us (or her i should say) the only symptoms diarrhea, gassy and being fussy/crying a lot. I have noticed in the last day or two that she has been swallowing air. I feed her one side at a time average about 20 mins, so she is getting hindmilk, at least I think so right?
Thanks for starting this thread I guess this is a common problem?

Advertisement

KimKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #22
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimKim
For us (or her i should say) the only symptoms diarrhea, gassy and being fussy/crying a lot. I have noticed in the last day or two that she has been swallowing air. I feed her one side at a time average about 20 mins, so she is getting hindmilk, at least I think so right?
I was doing the same for dd2. she still had issues until I started feeding on the same side for two or three feedings in a row.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #23
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimKim
It is very common. I read a bunch of threads on it but my situation was different so I thought I'd ask. I usually feed her 2-3 times on one side before switching. I don't time it. I hope her dr has something useful to say. As much as I want to trust him I feel that doctors do shy away from taking bf concerns seriously.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
Janet4
Registered Users
seller

I'm going to throw in my 2cents. I have a 2 yr old & went thru this at 3 mos. I also thought that she had no other symptoms (more on that later). Just for a little background - she is my 4th. My family nor my husbands family has any history of food allergies. None of my older children had this. My midwife was the one to suggest eliminating dairy. I thought that she had no other symptoms - slept well (thru the night), wasn't fussy, almost no spit up...Just jade green poops that would instantly blister her bottom. Well I found a web site that listed excessive sleeping as a symptom. When I cut dairy & gluten & eggs, she quit sleeping thru the night. She was also pretty drooly, but I figured it was pretty normal for her age. Well, again, this site listed excessive drooling as a symptom. We went from 4+ bibs/day to 1/day. She had also had a bit of stuffiness in her nose, but it went from that to a rattling in her chest. That was another symptom mentioned. Anyway, eliminating dairy helped w/the green, mucusy poops. However, I had to eliminate gluten & eggs to get rid of the congestion. Anyway, I just searched & searched, but couldn't find that particular site (it's been 2 yrs). Also, it may be "overused" as a diagnosis, but you have NOTHING to lose by eliminating the food for at least a week (better if it's 2 wks) to see what happens. In fact you may have everything to gain. And, yes, I easily lost my pregnancy weight and then some. HTHs Good luck!!
Janet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #25
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet4 View Post
I'm going to throw in my 2cents. I have a 2 yr old & went thru this at 3 mos. I also thought that she had no other symptoms (more on that later). Just for a little background - she is my 4th. My family nor my husbands family has any history of food allergies. None of my older children had this. My midwife was the one to suggest eliminating dairy. I thought that she had no other symptoms - slept well (thru the night), wasn't fussy, almost no spit up...Just jade green poops that would instantly blister her bottom. Well I found a web site that listed excessive sleeping as a symptom. When I cut dairy & gluten & eggs, she quit sleeping thru the night. She was also pretty drooly, but I figured it was pretty normal for her age. Well, again, this site listed excessive drooling as a symptom. We went from 4+ bibs/day to 1/day. She had also had a bit of stuffiness in her nose, but it went from that to a rattling in her chest. That was another symptom mentioned. Anyway, eliminating dairy helped w/the green, mucusy poops. However, I had to eliminate gluten & eggs to get rid of the congestion. Anyway, I just searched & searched, but couldn't find that particular site (it's been 2 yrs). Also, it may be "overused" as a diagnosis, but you have NOTHING to lose by eliminating the food for at least a week (better if it's 2 wks) to see what happens. In fact you may have everything to gain. And, yes, I easily lost my pregnancy weight and then some. HTHs Good luck!!
That does help. Thanks. She does sleep a lot. Sometimes she spits up what looks like saliva. I'm going to eliminate dairy. It will be hard as I drink a lot of milk but if it helps it will be worth it. Dh is baking cookies right now.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #26
FluffyBum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet4
That perfectly describes the little baby girl of my friend that I used to take care of!! She slept a lot!!! I was envious bc my daughter would never sleep like that. Not really fussy but tooted a lot. The congestion rattling in chest!! Turned out to be allergy to dairy and eggs!!
FluffyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #27
Janet4
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I was really stunned at the suggestion that it could be food allergies. With so few symptoms & no family history, it just didn't "make sense" to me. I also was of the mindset that people pulled the "food allergy" card out too often, but I couldn't deny the results when I changed my diet! And, yes, it's tough, (I have a hubby & 3 kiddos w/no diet limitations) but you learn to deal. Unfortunately, she's still sensitive to these things (I keep hoping she'll outgrow it). And she's still bfing, which is good for her, but still limits my diet. However, I think that I'm overall much healthier than before! When I 1st started, I lost weight so quickly others asked me if I was OK. Beyond the normal tiredness from now needing to feed at night, I felt great! Eliminating, in particular, dairy, wheat & eggs, just naturally forces you to make healthier choices.

Just a little extra note: my personal experience was that the green poops went away pretty fast. The chest congestion though took 3 to 4 wks to really completely clear. It was long enough that I was unsure if I was on the right track (eliminating the right foods). So if it seems to be taking a while, I'd give it a full month before deciding that something isn't working.
Janet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Mine has green poops here and there, could that be an allergy?
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #29
KimKim
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well just got back from dr, she didn't think it was a dairy allergy... She said colic. But I know my DD has gas and not to sure if that is a symptom of colic or not. She also said diarrhea could be from me taking the fluconizole pill (I took 3, 3 days apart, last on Saturday). She said if her poops are still the same by next wednesday, to call back and then we might try eliminating dairy. I think I am going to cut back now though, what do you guys think?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #30
KimKim
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wait so it might not be just from dairy? I would have to stop eggs too? And I would t be able to replace milk with soy milk?