Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bad Habit?

Am I creating a bad habit? The only way we can peacefully get DD to bed at night is to nurse. Any other method and she'll scream her little head off til she falls asleep (matter of fact she's screaming bloody murder right now as DH is rocking her to sleep). This is only a problem at home, and only at night. (She just really is awful at sleeping in general at night.) Naptime is fine! So I generally just nurse her to sleep because I want bedtime to be peaceful and soothing, not stressful and full of screaming. Is it going to become a super hard-to-break habit? I guess mostly I'm looking to hear experiences from moms who do/did nurse to sleep regularly.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
love_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have three kids. I have nursed all of them to sleep. I always loved it, so convenient and easy. I believe the child's demeanor has more to do with bed time then the fact of nursing them to sleep.

My first, DS, still doesn't STTN. He is 3.5 yo and weaned 13 months ago. My dd that is 2 is so different. Between 9-12 months she would just stop nursing at bedtime and turn toward her crib. So i tried laying her down awake and she easily went to bed on her own. My third, dd2 is only 3.5 months old. I always nurse her to sleep but she has fallen asleep being held. And just this last week she woke up in the night, unusual for her, I nursed her & changed her and she didn't fall asleep nursing so I laid her in her crib...she fell asleep without a peep.

I think making bedtime stressful either on you or the child is pointless. Just my experience.

Last edited by love_cloth; 02-14-2012 at 09:16 PM.
love_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Hegemony Cricket
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bad Habit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbermama View Post
Am I creating a bad habit? The only way we can peacefully get DD to bed at night is to nurse. Any other method and she'll scream her little head off til she falls asleep (matter of fact she's screaming bloody murder right now as DH is rocking her to sleep). This is only a problem at home, and only at night. (She just really is awful at sleeping in general at night.) Naptime is fine! So I generally just nurse her to sleep because I want bedtime to be peaceful and soothing, not stressful and full of screaming. Is it going to become a super hard-to-break habit? I guess mostly I'm looking to hear experiences from moms who do/did nurse to sleep regularly.
I nursed DS to sleep at night regularly from birth until 10 months. Then, at 10 months, he started letting me know that he preferred *not* to nurse to sleep. That was around when he grew his top teeth (he'd already had his bottom teeth since about six months) and started biting my nipples (ow!). I tried for a while to teach him not to bite me, but that was the beginning of him not *needing* to nurse to sleep at night. With nursing, sleeping, and all of the other milestones with my son, I try to follow my instincts. If it's a matter of some crying-it-out because otherwise I'm too sleep deprived to drive safely, then crying-it-out it is. But with regards to nursing, I let him lead the way. He simply reached a stage where he didn't want me to nurse him to sleep, so instead, I rocked him to sleep. Then, after another few months, he didn't want me to rock him to sleep either -- he wanted to play with his Leapfrog Scout in his crib before going to bed. (Bear in mind, I only have one child, so this is my one and only experience with nursing to sleep!)
Hegemony Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Problem for who? Lol. Sure when U are tired of doing or meds her to go down a different way, it will take transition but I say ride this wave for as long as u can!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
Problem for who? Lol. Sure when U are tired of doing or meds her to go down a different way, it will take transition but I say ride this wave for as long as u can!
I agree

I nurse my son to sleep, he's 28 months. He and I enjoy every minute of it
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have nursed all 3 of my kids to sleep. For us it seemed the natural thing to do. Now my 3rd child is 8 months old and sometimes he prefers to just be rocked to sleep. Has at times since birth. At those times I feel like he is growing up to fast for me. I recommend enjoying these times as long as you can they will be over and gone before you know it.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nursed my lo to sleep for the longest time. When we started night weaning we switched to cuddles in the rocking chair and him climbing into bed.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
MamaJax2010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
As long as it works for you, dont worry about it. I nursed both kids to sleep...it was much easier than fighting with them.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
cobbermama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJax2010
As long as it works for you, dont worry about it. I nursed both kids to sleep...it was much easier than fighting with them.
Exactly!

Plus it's nice cuddle time.

My one concern is in June. I'm going to Tanzania for 16 days so she'll be home with Daddy, who [obviously] can't nurse her to sleep. Though I think without me around she'll likely fall asleep easily being rocked, like she does now at day care.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Eh, if it's a bad habit, I'm a bad mama. I let my six month old nurse every fifteen minutes daily and all throughout the night. I almost never have my boobs covered. Babies are only babies so long. Boobs make for happier babies. Why not?

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011 Von meinem iPhone gesendet.