Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
charmaca02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Away from 3 week old

I have to be away about 8 hours from my EBF 3 week old next week (got to attend a one day class). Any suggestions on bottles that won't confuse him? He's been doing awesome breastfeeding and I'm nervous that the day away from me will cause us both stress. TIA.

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Away from 3 week old

Is there anyway you could take him? Instructors can be nice about things like that if you only ask. He is so tiny you could just pop him in a sling and nurse during the class.Who is taking care of him? Is it far away? Maybe you could have them bring you the baby every 2-3 hours to nurse.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does he/she take a bottle now? I would see if someone could bring baby a couple times and leave a bottle....that's a tough one.
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if it gives you any comfort, but I went back to work part time at 2 weeks, full time at 4 and my DD is still nursing. She switches back and forth just fine. I have found that any of the "wide nipple" bottles work the best for us. I really like the Adiri ones, but DH doesn't, so we've been using the Playtex Ventaire Advanced with the wide nipples.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
Is there anyway you could take him? Instructors can be nice about things like that if you only ask. He is so tiny you could just pop him in a sling and nurse during the class.Who is taking care of him? Is it far away? Maybe you could have them bring you the baby every 2-3 hours to nurse.
That would be my first suggestion-

If it is entirely not possible, I would feed him right before you leave, have pumped milk for him for while you are gone, and have whoever is caring for him cup feed or syringe feed him, as apposed to introducing a bottle for a one time thing. A small flexible cup, like a medicine cup, works great, just tip a little into him mouth at a time.

I would recommend bringing a pump and pumping at least twice while you are away, or you may find yourself really engorged!

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
charmaca02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks everyone. I wish I had someone who could take DS to the conference for me, so that I can nurse at breaks, but it's far. I figure i'll nurse right before i leave and pump every two hours, to mimic our nursing schedule.
I'm going to start pumping between feedings, so that I can get a stash for that day, but now I'm worried I might not be able to pump enough for DS on that dau. I'm also wondering whether I should just have my mom introduce him to a bottle that day, as I'm going back to work in about a month and he'll be using a bottle at that point. Having said that, nursing is going really well and I really don't want one day on bottle to ruin our nursing groove, so maybe the cup method will be better.
How much should a three week old be eating at each feeding? He's basically emptying me out on both sides right now, every two hours. When I pump I only get about .5 to 1 oz. from each side. Will fenugreek help me get more milk pumped out?
Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Babies should eat roughly 2.5 ounces per pound of body weight per day. So say he's 10 pounds, that would be 25 ounces per day, or a little over 2 ounces each feeding if you feed every 2 hours. I always allow for about 50% more though, just in case. So if you were going to be gone 8 hours that would be roughly 16 ounces, though if it were me I'd leave 20-24 (just to allow for a hungry day, if any gets spilled, etc.).

Fenugreek may increase your supply, but whether you will see it when you pump is unknown. Some people are just better pumpers than others. I only get 2 to 4 ounces combined each pumping session regardless of what I do. If you just started pumping it may take a little bit for your supply to catch up.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are going back to work, 3 weeks is great time to start with a bottle. Both my boys had no issues takeing a bottle from DH at about 3 weeks. I used the wide nipple bottles. It took a few tries with the first to figure out which bottle worked best. That was the playtex venaire wide nippe. Neither had any trouble going back and forth.

I would definalty start pumping. Early mornings, worked great for me. I would also nurse one side and pump the other. I had a pretty good stash built up by the time I went back to work at 7 weeks. I didn't have to take any special teas, vitamins, ect. Just the extra pumping was enough. I had a pretty good supply built up by the time I went back to work.

I would have someone else give him his first bottle, not you. I would do it at least once if not twice before you conference. He will be fine. With my first DS I had the same issue. I had to be away at an all day conference when he was just a few weeks old. It was too far away to go home and feed. We both got through it just fine. My mom and grandma stayed with DS1. Honestly is was a nice little break to be around adults after being only home for 3 weeks. He was early and I hadn't gone anywhere.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered Mama View Post
That would be my first suggestion-

If it is entirely not possible, I would feed him right before you leave, have pumped milk for him for while you are gone, and have whoever is caring for him cup feed or syringe feed him, as apposed to introducing a bottle for a one time thing. A small flexible cup, like a medicine cup, works great, just tip a little into him mouth at a time.

I would recommend bringing a pump and pumping at least twice while you are away, or you may find yourself really engorged!
Great suggestions. And be sure to pump while there to keep your supply from lowering. It only takes a missed feeding or two to impact your supply.

If you need to get some extra milk saved for that day try pumping after you nurse and even try hand expression after pumping.

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmaca02 View Post
Thanks everyone. I wish I had someone who could take DS to the conference for me, so that I can nurse at breaks, but it's far. I figure i'll nurse right before i leave and pump every two hours, to mimic our nursing schedule.
I'm going to start pumping between feedings, so that I can get a stash for that day, but now I'm worried I might not be able to pump enough for DS on that dau. I'm also wondering whether I should just have my mom introduce him to a bottle that day, as I'm going back to work in about a month and he'll be using a bottle at that point. Having said that, nursing is going really well and I really don't want one day on bottle to ruin our nursing groove, so maybe the cup method will be better. How much should a three week old be eating at each feeding? He's basically emptying me out on both sides right now, every two hours. When I pump I only get about .5 to 1 oz. from each side. Will fenugreek help me get more milk pumped out?
Many people have had very sucessul BF relationships and bottles. One bottle a day will not ruin your supply. You will be pumping to get that one bottle anyway. I would go with a bottle over a cup since that is what he will take while you are at work unless the person watching will deal with a cup.

Both my boys nursed for a long while and a good friends little girl nursed for over a year while taking bottles at daycare.