Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone homeschool one child but not another? and do any of you work outside home?

My oldest son is having a hard time in school. HE has been tested for dyslexia but no other learning disabilities. He is a little on the lazy side and could care less about school. We live in Texas and he failed the TAKS test last year. This year they are taking the STARR test which is supposed to be harder. He is in 4th grade. I am prepared for him to fail that as well, he just doesn't get that he needs to pass these tests.

He has been in some type of content mastery, tutoring, summer school since kindergarten. he is TIRED of school. Right now his day consists of School all day, tutoring until 4 pm M-Th, content mastery in math, reading lab (in place of music), and math lab every day. He has made no progress on benchmark tests and his grades are so so. Good daily grades...horrible test grades. I know he just wants to get done.

My middle son is so eager to learn. Even though he is only in first gradehe loves school and makes straight A's. He is at grade level or ahead in everything. He is the complete opposite of ODS.

I also want to say that our district is super tough. They have some of the best test scores in the state. Compared to other schools in the area they are leaps an bounds ahead and that is great for kids like my middle boy but awful for my oldest.

Anyway my point to all of that is I have thought about homeschooling the oldest. I know he loves being with his friends but beyond that I feel like they are trying to teach him concepts he is just not ready for. Has anyone homeschooled one and not another? I just don't know what to do. I don't want my oldest to fail. I want him to love learning.

I also work full time right now. Hopefully going to part time this summer. I am a nurse and work nights. Can we still homeschool? Dh is a high school math teacher.

Maybe we could do some homeschooling this summer and see how it goes...

Ugghh being a parent is so hard sometimes!

Advertisement

Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
mmmarmalade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone homeschool one child but not another? and do any of you work outside home?

It sounds to me like ODS is way overloaded. Maybe he needs to cut back on the extra "help" and do some normal kid stuff! Lots of kids thrive more when they're not pushed. That's what I would try first... let him do music and a sport instead of extra math sessions. Reward him with something he wants to do to make sure he finishes his work, but it sounds like the extra "help" is just turning him off. Here in Utah, they have only k-12 that I know works really well for a lot of kids who just aren't happy in school. You might want to check and see if there's something like that you can do. I don't have experience with it, but I don't think it would be a problem to homeschool one child and not the other for a while, just until you can get him back on track. Or if he thrives in homeschool, all the better. Each child needs their individual needs met in the way that makes the most sense to them. Your children aren't the same people, so they don't necessarily need the same things. I say give it a try if you can swing it. If I were you, I'd wait until I was there to supervise though. It wouldn't make sense to take him out of school just to put him in daycare.

GL mama... this has got to be a tough decision for you

Marmalade Baby
mmmarmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone homeschool one child but not another? and do any of you work outside home?

Hi there, I am also in TX and also have a 4th grader (he will be 5th soon). I don't know about your district but most TX school districts have given up on actually teaching anything other than trying to make kids pass tests. It is disappointing. It sounds like your son doesn't like learning. It could be that he just isn't a good test taker or that he just has a different learning style that isn't being served well in his present school. I do not homeschool just one child but there are parents here who do just that. In your position I would not want my child falling any farther behind either. Unfortunately the burden of state tests does not improve. You could try enrolling him in a charter school though he would still need to take state tests. The different teaching style might help. There are also online charters but again, he would still have to take state tests. I here quite a few complaints about the online charters because there is so much busy work included, not sure that would be a good thing for your ds. The benefit to either is that the work is planned out for you. In the charter school you would not need to worry about your work schedule.

I do work but it is part time and erratic. My father or FIL watch the boys for me when I am working. It does not get in the way of our schooling. We school year round and just take time off when I am going to work. I think you could work a schedule around your work schedule, some people do it, but you would need to arrange care for him while you are at work.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yes he is overloaded. None of that includes the homework he has at night either. We have expressed that all the extra help is not what he needs but the school has been very pushy at keeping him in everything. I just don't know. It's very overwhelming.

Oh and I work nights and do have a sitter for the baby so I can sleep a little the next day. So that isn't an issue.
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014

Last edited by stacieandtheboys; 02-15-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110
Hi there, I am also in TX and also have a 4th grader (he will be 5th soon). I don't know about your district but most TX school districts have given up on actually teaching anything other than trying to make kids pass tests. It is disappointing. It sounds like your son doesn't like learning. It could be that he just isn't a good test taker or that he just has a different learning style that isn't being served well in his present school. I do not homeschool just one child but there are parents here who do just that. In your position I would not want my child falling any farther behind either. Unfortunately the burden of state tests does not improve. You could try enrolling him in a charter school though he would still need to take state tests. The different teaching style might help. There are also online charters but again, he would still have to take state tests. I here quite a few complaints about the online charters because there is so much busy work included, not sure that would be a good thing for your ds. The benefit to either is that the work is planned out for you. In the charter school you would not need to worry about your work schedule.

I do work but it is part time and erratic. My father or FIL watch the boys for me when I am working. It does not get in the way of our schooling. We school year round and just take time off when I am going to work. I think you could work a schedule around your work schedule, some people do it, but you would need to arrange care for him while you are at work.
Yes I think all of Texas is that way. It is crazy the math they are doing in 4 th grade. Some of that I wasn't doing until jr high.

Charter school probably not a good fit for him. Private schools here are crazy expensive. I don't know...
Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieandtheboys View Post
Yes I think all of Texas is that way. It is crazy the math they are doing in 4 th grade. Some of that I wasn't doing until jr high.

Charter school probably not a good fit for him. Private schools here are crazy expensive. I don't know...
My oldest was in charter the only year he was in school and it was pretty laid back. The plus was that the kids could move between grades for all of their subjects, it was pretty "learn at your own pace" and they used Saxon curriculum. Kearnan was 7 and doing K, 1st grade and 2nd grade classes. I'm not sure where you are in the state or what charters are near you though. The reason he isn't still in that charter is because he has more special needs than they could handle and we had trouble with the 1st grade teacher not applying his IEP. It being such a small school there was only one first grade teacher so I couldn't just ask for him to have a different teacher. He also wound up with a lot of anxiety over school attendance, something that isn't really typical of him but that can happen with ASD children so I felt it was just better for him to come back to homeschooling. Anyway there are lots of types of charters and some of them can be really intense classical style or magnet style and those are probably out but some of them are more the type that might work.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
xiri
Registered Users
seller

I currently have both of my school aged children at home but know several families that have some in public/private school and some at home. One friend of mine who has this arrangement explained to me that they decide on a child-by-child and year-by-year basis. That sounded great to us and is kind of our rule of thumb as well.
xiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a Texas 4th grader also. The tests are ridiculous and STARR is supposed to be MUCH harder than the TASK. I'd take the stress out of his life and tell him to do his best and nothing more on those tests. DS actually told me that if he didn't get a good grade on them he wouldn't get into college...I was heartbroken...how could they tell 4th graders that? UGGH I think I'd give him a rest from all afterschool academics (except hw). My son is supper bright but lacks motivation. He could be in gt but it's not for him because it's more work which he doesn't want to do....not worth the fight.
But yes, I homeschool my kindy and not my 4th grader; to answer your actual question.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
morethancjsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep we started out with just ods at home.
1st we are Pennsylvania, not Texas. Our school age kids are 2nd and 1st grades. So much of your story sounds so VERY familiar. Like I am a nurse who worked nights (current;y haven't returned to work after having our youngest children, but my stay at home days are numbered and all to quickly coming to an end.) Ods has struggled since K and is now in second grade. We haven't started standards tests yet but he will take them in 3rd grade. Our local school district kept adding more on him and "taking away" non academic things to give him help. Homework was taking about 2 hours a night because he was behind and they wanted us to put him in tutoring outside of school for reading and math, about 4 hours a week per subject. When I sat sown and figured it all out I realized that he just might have time to eat diner and take a bath each day before bed (if we didn't get stuck in traffic or anything crazy like that). We decide that it was nuts to expect an 8 yr old to sit and work all day like that. So, after a few choice words (ok several) we signed up for Pa Cyber. Would have found a way to traditional hs but our state requirements we would have a lot of leg work to do before we could pull him because he has an IEP. The Cyber charter has been a God send for us. He is starting to get the love for learning back. Yep, still has trouble transitioning and dawdles while doing work sheets. But that's just what CJ's do. Grades have improved, he is "getting" new concepts, and still absolutely hates writing assignments. I think the one on one has been the biggest help that he has needed. Yes, there are areas that we can tell that he is below grade level, put hey it's ok. No, job is ever going to ask what age he was when he learned noun verb pronoun and adjective.
Yes, I find the things they teach in math in elementary grades to be incredible expectations. 2nd graders with "x" in their problems. (24 - x = 19 ) and really fractions? Really? How do you teach fractions and reducing them with out fully teaching division? Everything is become so advanced that I think our education system is forgetting that natural development does work like that, and these younger kids can be taught to find the answers, but don't have the mental abilities to understand what and why of these kind of things. (ok education rant/ramble over)

So ODS started cyber in Dec. Then ODD started "struggling" in school. she has always been and excellent student, never a bad comment about her from school. Actually we had been considering allowing her to be tested for gifted program. So, we sat and talked with her about it and agreed to finish 1st grade then reevaluate for 2nd and allowing her to stay home. That worked to about a month. Unfortunately we have one of those school districts. Our almost gifted daughter was bearing the cross for us pulling ds. The school started testing her for special help in reading. We were getting concerns about her handwriting and attitude. "Cassie isn't staying on task and is starting to be disruptive" (meaning they aren't challenging her and she is talking while waiting for other students to finish their work). Strangely this "complaints" were never from her teacher and only started after the Christmas break. The final straw came when we got a warning/threatening letter because she missed the bus and I had no way to get her to school. So on her note the next day that's what I said happened. Well, it's was marked as illegal absence and the school felt the needed to inform us of the laws in PA and if she has 2 more they will file charges against us. Really her 1st ever and we get registered mail out of it? If they are so pleasant to us, what are they saying/doing to her while she is in their care? So, Cassie joined Pa Cyber Feb 8th.

My point in the long winded response. Yes you can so this! Yes, only pull ODS, if other son is doing well why change anything. Be prepared in case you are in one of those schools like we are. You might end up with both doing home school. As far as Cyber charters yes I find it to have "busy work" but most is not "graded" we have 3-4 pages a week that I scan and submit so if it's not a scan it then I pick what ones the kids do alone, what ones we go over orally and what ones we skip. Currently ODS skips a lot of social studies and earth science. It's winter and I have a baby in the house that I am not bundling up to go push in a stroller while we got sit out side to count birds and types, not happening.
I hope I hit on most of your thoughts or questions. Best of Luck!

$49 unlimited talk/text plus unlimited data!
morethancjsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would do what I thought was best for my kid. If 1 is doing great well then-if it aint broke, ya know? But if another kiddo was seriously struggling and the school couldnt/wouldnt help then I'd pull them out.

Granted my SIL is in AR but she HS my neices until 6th grade. However 1 loved it, the other hated it. So now 1 is in public school and the other is homeschooled. It's what works for them.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote