Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone homeschool one child but not another? and do any of you work outside home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
I have a Texas 4th grader also. The tests are ridiculous and STARR is supposed to be MUCH harder than the TASK. I'd take the stress out of his life and tell him to do his best and nothing more on those tests. DS actually told me that if he didn't get a good grade on them he wouldn't get into college...I was heartbroken...how could they tell 4th graders that? UGGH I think I'd give him a rest from all afterschool academics (except hw). My son is supper bright but lacks motivation. He could be in gt but it's not for him because it's more work which he doesn't want to do....not worth the fight.
But yes, I homeschool my kindy and not my 4th grader; to answer your actual question.
It is so sad isn't it? I know he won't pass this year. Of course I would never tell him that. DH had a meeting with the principal yesterday because he got into some trouble yesterday in math lab (teacher told him to do a paper he said he already did it and refused to do it and then shut down. they actually had to pick him up to get him out of the class). The principal said if he failed all 3 portions of STARR and did not attend summer school they could hold him back in the 4th grade. Keep in mind he has NEVER failed a subject in any 6 weeks ever. Next year if they do not pass as 5th graders they are automatically held back in the 5th grade. Sometimes I think that wouldn't be such a bad thing. 1. It would allow him to mature some 2. Maybe he would see how important school is? I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethancjsmom View Post
Yep we started out with just ods at home.
1st we are Pennsylvania, not Texas. Our school age kids are 2nd and 1st grades. So much of your story sounds so VERY familiar. Like I am a nurse who worked nights (current;y haven't returned to work after having our youngest children, but my stay at home days are numbered and all to quickly coming to an end.) Ods has struggled since K and is now in second grade. We haven't started standards tests yet but he will take them in 3rd grade. Our local school district kept adding more on him and "taking away" non academic things to give him help. Homework was taking about 2 hours a night because he was behind and they wanted us to put him in tutoring outside of school for reading and math, about 4 hours a week per subject. When I sat sown and figured it all out I realized that he just might have time to eat diner and take a bath each day before bed (if we didn't get stuck in traffic or anything crazy like that). We decide that it was nuts to expect an 8 yr old to sit and work all day like that. So, after a few choice words (ok several) we signed up for Pa Cyber. Would have found a way to traditional hs but our state requirements we would have a lot of leg work to do before we could pull him because he has an IEP. The Cyber charter has been a God send for us. He is starting to get the love for learning back. Yep, still has trouble transitioning and dawdles while doing work sheets. But that's just what CJ's do. Grades have improved, he is "getting" new concepts, and still absolutely hates writing assignments. I think the one on one has been the biggest help that he has needed. Yes, there are areas that we can tell that he is below grade level, put hey it's ok. No, job is ever going to ask what age he was when he learned noun verb pronoun and adjective.
Yes, I find the things they teach in math in elementary grades to be incredible expectations. 2nd graders with "x" in their problems. (24 - x = 19 ) and really fractions? Really? How do you teach fractions and reducing them with out fully teaching division? Everything is become so advanced that I think our education system is forgetting that natural development does work like that, and these younger kids can be taught to find the answers, but don't have the mental abilities to understand what and why of these kind of things. (ok education rant/ramble over)

So ODS started cyber in Dec. Then ODD started "struggling" in school. she has always been and excellent student, never a bad comment about her from school. Actually we had been considering allowing her to be tested for gifted program. So, we sat and talked with her about it and agreed to finish 1st grade then reevaluate for 2nd and allowing her to stay home. That worked to about a month. Unfortunately we have one of those school districts. Our almost gifted daughter was bearing the cross for us pulling ds. The school started testing her for special help in reading. We were getting concerns about her handwriting and attitude. "Cassie isn't staying on task and is starting to be disruptive" (meaning they aren't challenging her and she is talking while waiting for other students to finish their work). Strangely this "complaints" were never from her teacher and only started after the Christmas break. The final straw came when we got a warning/threatening letter because she missed the bus and I had no way to get her to school. So on her note the next day that's what I said happened. Well, it's was marked as illegal absence and the school felt the needed to inform us of the laws in PA and if she has 2 more they will file charges against us. Really her 1st ever and we get registered mail out of it? If they are so pleasant to us, what are they saying/doing to her while she is in their care? So, Cassie joined Pa Cyber Feb 8th.

My point in the long winded response. Yes you can so this! Yes, only pull ODS, if other son is doing well why change anything. Be prepared in case you are in one of those schools like we are. You might end up with both doing home school. As far as Cyber charters yes I find it to have "busy work" but most is not "graded" we have 3-4 pages a week that I scan and submit so if it's not a scan it then I pick what ones the kids do alone, what ones we go over orally and what ones we skip. Currently ODS skips a lot of social studies and earth science. It's winter and I have a baby in the house that I am not bundling up to go push in a stroller while we got sit out side to count birds and types, not happening.
I hope I hit on most of your thoughts or questions. Best of Luck!
OMG our kids are so super similar it is unreal. I do not understand how they can teach division without learning multiplication tables (like we did where it is just a reflex to know the answer). They are doing algebra, geometry and tons of things I didn't even do until high school! It is way to much to soon. Their little brains can't handle it. They have the bar set so high that average students like my oldest can not succeed. I feel sorry for those who are below average or have parents who don't care.

My 1st graders teacher commented on the same thing earlier in the year (like after a month) asked if we had him tested for ADHD. She said we might ought too. Well like your kiddo mine was finishing his work and was bored therefor getting in trouble. So he likes to lay across the seat of his desk to read. At least he is doing what he is told and quiet. He is a smart kiddo who can read anything and do some of his brothers math. That is so scary. We were going to have him tested for GT but we didn't want our oldest to feel bad because he was not.

The charter school sounds cool. Not sure if we have anything like that here. We do have a homeschool co op and another type of association that offers extracurricular activities. My doula homeschools and I plan on picking her brain soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets View Post
I would do what I thought was best for my kid. If 1 is doing great well then-if it aint broke, ya know? But if another kiddo was seriously struggling and the school couldnt/wouldnt help then I'd pull them out.

Granted my SIL is in AR but she HS my neices until 6th grade. However 1 loved it, the other hated it. So now 1 is in public school and the other is homeschooled. It's what works for them.
We have decided that if they hold him back in the 4th grade we will homeschool at least for next year. I will not have him held back in 4th and then again in 5th. Isn't going to happen. Dh and I agreed on this last night. We will visit the possibility of homeschooling if he fails 5th grade.

Dh is a teacher. He deals with this all of the time. He actually got a talking to yesterday because his benchmark test scores were to low. Now he is worried about losing his job if his kiddos don't pass. Of course they put all of the troubled, hard to handle kids in his class but they don't take that into consideration at all.

Advertisement

Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
stacieandtheboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone homeschool one child but not another? and do any of you work outside home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieandtheboys View Post
Dh is a teacher. He deals with this all of the time. He actually got a talking to yesterday because his benchmark test scores were to low. Now he is worried about losing his job if his kiddos don't pass. Of course they put all of the troubled, hard to handle kids in his class but they don't take that into consideration at all.
It's nuts! how the teachers are treated b/c of these tests. Nothing else matters as long as students can spit out asnwers for them....*sigh*

I have a friend thats a teacher(in Tx). Last yr they jumped her b/c her 3rd grader kids test scores werent good enough. So she decided to switch to K so she wouldnt have to worry so much about those stupid standerized test. Last month the principal-superintendent maybe?-forced her to get rid of half her centers(dress up section, kitchen area, a few others) b/c those were not relevant to state tests....did I mention she teaches KINDERGARTEN!

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 02-16-2012 at 10:10 AM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

I home school my almost 6yr old DS and the older girls go to public school. My little guy at this point is not suited for a public school environment. He has some issues that we are waiting on getting a diagnosis for. I am a SAHM.
this_mel_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets View Post
It's nuts! how the teachers are treated b/c of these tests. Nothing else matters as long as students can spit out asnwers for them....*sigh*

I have a friend thats a teacher(in Tx). Last yr they jumped her b/c her 3rd grader kids test scores werent good enough. So she decided to switch to K so she wouldnt have to worry so much about those stupid standerized test. Last month the principal-superintendent maybe?-forced her to get rid of half her centers(dress up section, kitchen area, a few others) b/c those were not relevant to state tests....did I mention she teaches KINDERGARTEN!
Crazy! My 1st grader has no centers in his room. Pretty sure they had no other centers except for reading in K.

BTW I went to SFA too
Stacie, Wife to Robert, Mama to Jacob Dominic Luke and baby boy #4 coming May 2014
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
lehcar_27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i homeschool my younger ones, but my ODD has always been in public....at one point she wanted to be hs really bad, but public was working so well for her and she has always been a straight A student....if i were you i would pull out your ODS and leave YDS in school.....and over time if YDS wants to come home then let him....i think learning should be fun....and ODS sounds like he is on a road that is not good, sounds like he hates it

i do work out of the home, but opposite of my DH.....DH is a prof. at a university and im an Interpreter for the Deaf....i get to set my own schedule so it really works out just fine for our family....if we dont get school done, and i have to leave for work, DH will finish up....and my ODD is now teaching the younger ones flute and Spanish....so she helps out some too
Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #16
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieandtheboys View Post
BTW I went to SFA too
Cool!

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I homeschooled both for a few years. We just put the oldest in school. Still homeschool the middle and have the toddler at home. We hae a biz and i help out with it part time, but on a flexible schedule

I have a good friend that homeschools all four of her kids while she also works 2 12 hour shifts as a nurse.

Anything can be done if u put your mind to it, have some healthy support, and have a really solid reason for it. It sounds to me like ur LO would really benefit from "unplugging from the matrix" as we say in our home.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #18
Evadiva
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hugs! I am facing a close situation...

Eldest is going in to 2nd and I don't really like her school...

Middle daughter is deaf and goes to a special school...

I want to homeschool my oldest since I already stay home with the baby, and I am a laid-off teacher turned stay-at-home mom. I am so worried about hurt feelings... Sibling rivalry is hard enough these days..I don't wan to make it worse in the future.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have my oldest DS in PS and i HS the rest. Not every child is the same. They all have different needs.....it's just to find them out. My prayers are with you.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #20
stacieandtheboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow this is an old thread and things really haven't changed. The only thing that had changed is that he is in 5th grade. I also work days and only weekends now too. We went to Scottish rite and had him tested. Still no dyslexia but did get diagnoses of reading problems specifically fluency and comprehension , problem with written expression and inattentive ADHD. So now we are working with the school to get accommodations for him and with his doctor to possibly have him put on medication.

I guess we will see what the rest of the year holds.