Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone go from home birth to hospital birth?

Having had two hospital births, and one homebirth, I have to say I loved all of them. The homebirth was easier as everything was on my terms and more comfortable being in my own surroundings, but if I had another baby I think I would opt for a hospital birth next time, as long as the hospital was natural-supportive and I had a midwife. I had the option this time of birthing in a birth centre for free which I was totally considering, but then I didn't like the clinic where I would have to go, it was way over the other side of town and impractical. Plus the group I got into I would have been with 6 midwives, and I wanted more personal. But... I am still not sure the $$$ I spent was worth what I got, if you know what I mean! I also felt bad that my husband was cleaning up when he should have been bonding with me and baby, and I missed my 24 hours of rest in bed!

Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebee View Post
Having had two hospital births, and one homebirth, I have to say I loved all of them. The homebirth was easier as everything was on my terms and more comfortable being in my own surroundings, but if I had another baby I think I would opt for a hospital birth next time, as long as the hospital was natural-supportive and I had a midwife. I had the option this time of birthing in a birth centre for free which I was totally considering, but then I didn't like the clinic where I would have to go, it was way over the other side of town and impractical. Plus the group I got into I would have been with 6 midwives, and I wanted more personal. But... I am still not sure the $$$ I spent was worth what I got, if you know what I mean! I also felt bad that my husband was cleaning up when he should have been bonding with me and baby, and I missed my 24 hours of rest in bed!
I loved my home birth but my DH had to do more stuff than if I had gone to the hossy. Also I did not get to have people bring me my meals while I laid in bed for a couple of days. But I am still happy that I did not need to be in the hospital. Also childcare for our older children was not a problem. And our children got to see the new baby right away. For me there were a ton more plus things to the homebirth even if it ended up costing us way more than a hospital birth.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I think my DH does more at the hospital than home. The midwives cleaned up and we could rest. He had to go out to get decent food and I also did way more at the hospital bc we wanted to go home, so we were packing up a few hrs after DS was born, rather than passed out in the bed, all snuggling.
And for the PP that said the hospital brings you food? Even in the hosp, I still had someone go get me real food. At home, I can have my favorites right there, or someone else (friend, family) can run to a restaurant and get us something. The hosp is far from home, so no one was there.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

DP, thanks DS

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 02-17-2012 at 05:57 PM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
I think my DH does more at the hospital than home. The midwives cleaned up and we could rest. He had to go out to get decent food and I also did way more at the hospital bc we wanted to go home, so we were packing up a few hrs after DS was born, rather than passed out in the bed, all snuggling.
And for the PP that said the hospital brings you food? Even in the hosp, I still had someone go get me real food. At home, I can have my favorites right there, or someone else (friend, family) can run to a restaurant and get us something. The hosp is far from home, so no one was there.
The night I left the hospital after having dd the hospital daily special for supper was a 1 inch steak and baked potato. I guess we have it good in our area. And it was a super tender steak with a very nice amount of butter for the potato.

When we have our next baby I hope it will be at home.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The one thing I can say for sure that is more irritating at hospital is the amount of paperwork. When you get there you have to sign stuff, to leave you have to sign stuff, people have to check over your baby and sign them out etc. In the hospital here though if you have a normal birth with no major tearing etc, you can go home after 6 hours, that is if you birth in the hospital birth centers with midwives. (Both my sisters did this and had wonderful natural births with all their babies). I think honestly, if you knew you were in a system were your wishes would be supported and they could stick to your birth plan and had birth tubs available and you have a midwife who you know and trust, I think a hospital birth can be perfect as well. I just think from my perspective the $4000 plus the extras I had to buy and have ready in my house (which would have been available/provided in the hospital), I don't know if a homebirth was the most cost effective option and i think i could have had the same outcome. I don't regret it at all because it is something I have always wanted to do and I am glad I did it, plus I loved my midwife.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #17
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would go with a hospital birth, your hospital sounds awesome! My last two babies were med-free births and it was quite easy.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #18
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like you have some great reasons for going with the hospital- good luck, mama!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It sounds to me like you'd really be more comfortable.. emotionally as well as financially with the hospital birth. It truly sounds like this is what you want and what you feel is best for you and your baby. And it sounds like it's a good hospital, add to the fact that you would be able to hire a doula to help you out and look out for you. Everything together makes me say "GO FOR IT!"

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
I suppose if you are in a hurry to get out the hospital is more stressful. We stayed 2 days with DS...it was so relaxing.

Your hospital didn't have meals? My hospital, which is in a small town, offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner to all in patients. I got a menu once I was settled in my recovery room and I could choose between a couple entrees and mulitple sides and drinks for each meal. And on the maternity floor they have a snack room with coffee, tea, water, jello, cheese and crackers, pudding, cereal, and other snacks that we were welcome to. The meals weren't always my favorite, but they were hearty and healthy and free!
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote