Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Magnesium Sulfate - Would you agree to take it?

Have any of you ever been given magnesium sulfate? I've been on bedrest due to preterm labor for a few weeks, and ended up in L&D again last night for contractions. I was given terbutaline, which worked pretty quickly. Both my Perinatologist and the nurses in L&D mentioned that these episodes will probably increase and become tougher to stop. The nurse gave me a run down of how they'll handle any PTL episodes before I reach 34 weeks: 3 doses of terbutaline 20 minutes apart, then the next step is magnesium sulfate. She gave me a little info about the mag, and it sounds AWFUL! After doing some research, it seems like it could be dangerous to both me and the baby. While I want the best for my baby, I'm just not sure this intervention is worth the risk if it were to come up. Any thoughts, mamas?

Thanks for any advice

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Sylvie89
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Magnesium Sulfate - Would you agree to take it?

I had it for 12 hours. However, my situation was different from yours. I had PPROM at 30 weeks and they wanted to stop labor long enough to give the steroid shot(s) time to work. It did the trick. I didn't feel too bad - my vision was kind of foggy and I had a headache.

I didn't have time to research it (obviously), but the doctors did tell me that new research suggests it actually improves outcomes.

And not that my situation is anything other than anecdotal, but my baby was a superstar in the NICU with zero recorded As&Bs (episodes of forgetting to breathe / low heart rate). He is now a happy and healthy 11 month old!

Last edited by Sylvie89; 02-14-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Sylvie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Before 34 Weeks I would take whatever was necc and recommended by an ob specializing in that field.

Typically, I second guess things and am well versed in my own medical issues and projected outcomes....but true preterm labor is not something I'm comfortable deciding care for on my own.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Having a baby before 34 weeks is bad for the baby, too. I'd take the mag.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
boilerbebeRN
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Actually, the newest research suggests that magnesium sulfate actually has neuroprotective benefits for baby when given within 24 hours of delivery. (Prevents brain bleeds that preemies are at higher risk for.) It does usually suck for mama, but very one tolerates it differently. I've taken care of plenty of patients on mag that acted like it didn't bother them at all. I say take the mag....every day your baby is inside (as long as you don't have another complication like preeclampsia, IUGR, etc) is so important!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Lindsay..::100% in love with the best guy in the world, Matt (married 9.05.09)::..::furrr-Mommy to Mimi (03.08.05)::..::and passionate labor & delivery nurse for the last 10 years! And now turned SAHM! And now loving Everleigh Maryn 07.28.11TTC #2 since 7.2013
boilerbebeRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
Mom2G&J
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was on mag for three days. I was 34 weeks and dr didn't want to let me deliver and I didn't want to either. They tried the terbutaline and it made my heart race! Also, once it wore off the contractions came back so I was admitted and put on mag. (I didn't have time for research, was admitted after my cervix showed change from last check a few hours before) It really wasn't as bad as everyone says. I got the hot flashes and had a hard time focusing on anything, but I wasn't nauseous at all. After three days my body settled down a bit and I was sent home on bed rest and another medicine that started with an N (nephetapine?) (sp?) I didn't end up delivering my DS until 38 weeks and he was perfectly healthy. I honestly feel that was the best outcome of that situation and I wouldn't hesitate use it again if I end up with pre term labor this time.

ETA: I know that there are some pretty serious side effects with mag, but that's why baby and I were constantly monitored and my blood was drawn every so many hours for tests. It was bothersome, but worth it to keep my little guy cooking.

Last edited by Mom2G&J; 02-15-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Mom2G&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerbebeRN View Post
Actually, the newest research suggests that magnesium sulfate actually has neuroprotective benefits for baby when given within 24 hours of delivery. (Prevents brain bleeds that preemies are at higher risk for.) It does usually suck for mama, but very one tolerates it differently. I've taken care of plenty of patients on mag that acted like it didn't bother them at all. I say take the mag....every day your baby is inside (as long as you don't have another complication like preeclampsia, IUGR, etc) is so important!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Well put!! I think the last study I read was that every day you keep baby inside prevented an average of 2 additional days in the NICU. I have taken care of many patients on Mag and most of them tolerated it just fine.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
With DD I was on mag for 4 days and in the hospital for 1 week. Terbutaline wasn't controlling contractions and was giving me big time chest pains an racing heart. Anyway my cervix wasn't changing by this was a preggo right after having a 28 weaker. I was taken off and in about 2 hours contractions were back. But I was monitered and contractions weren't changing cervix so after a few days I was released to bedrest and terbutaline or Procardia

As far as side effects. DD is great and she is 5 and way to smart for her own good. As for as my side effects on it. They sucked. Headach and felt like I was on fire and was very very swollen but not nauseasus and the worst part was the catheter for that long. Would I do it again. Yes if my cervix was changing. If not then no. I would wait it out a bit longer but wouldn't doubt what dr said if they ever recommended it.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all so much for this information! I think the decision will be easier to make now if it comes down to it. Hopefully it won't, of course. I officially changed to a new group of practitioners today, and they did another fetal fibronectin test. It came back negative, so we feel really confident that we'll make it to at least 33 weeks. After 34 weeks they will no longer provide any interventions, so I am unexpectedly feeling like we will probably make it at this point
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was on it for a few days with my twins at 28-29wks. Terb wasn't cutting it and I was 4cm. It was very icky feeling and I honestly felt like I was losing my mind. My knees gave out on me, my lungs were getting wet... Not fun at all! Obviously it was worth it and my twins waited till 34wks and were home in a week.