Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #21
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Dh is 6'3 and was over 10 lbs at birth. I'm not tiny myself (5'10)

With my last i just got duo wraps and infant prefolds and flats. Dd was 8 lbs 1 oz, and would have fit into nb dipes for about 2 weeks. I'm getting nb dipes for this baby, just not spending a ton. Whatever i can sell them for after will fund dd's trainers stash.

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #22
betsyb3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DH and I were both about 7 lbs at birth, ds on the other hand was 9.6 lbs. I don't think parent sizes really matters...at least it didn't in our case! I loved kl0 for about 3 weeks but I could have skipped nb sizes if I wanted to. If you start at birth you'll want the snap down for the umbilical stump and I can't think of any size small or os diaper that has that. Of course you could always use prefolds for the first few weeks

MY ISO: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1516935
betsyb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Would you ever skip newborn size?

Yes I would. Now that I have cloth diapered 2 newborns (who were 6 lbs), I would choose to skip them if we had another baby. Most newborn diapers did not fit under my DDs cords so we used sposies until they fell off (which took almost 3 weeks for both girls). Then my second DD was able to outpee a disposable in under 2 hours so no newborn diaper could hold her pee. One pee and she was peeing straight through everything. We were constantly changing her clothes. So at 8 lbs we put her in OS diapers and they fit fine, we had zero leaks, and they could hold all her pee. Our NB diapers barely got touched.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #24
HollyS
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't want to spend a fortune on NB sizes (and I have 7-8 lb babies). I used flats and had a few nb/small covers and longies. I already had the flats from my older two, but they are very cheap and can be used as receiving blankets as well. I did invest in some inexpensive nb fitteds, but I only had 8 and they only lasted a few hours.
Mommy to DD (11), DS (8), DD (6), DD (3), and #5 due 2/14
HollyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #25
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My ds was almost 9 lbs, but dH wouldn't let me CD then. So i bought infant prefolds and flats and duo wraps size 1 (fit to 18 lbs). I skipped newborn, but didn't go straight to the OS dipes i had.

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect
Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #26
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Maybe with ds3, he was 8lbs at birth and chunky. But with all my others, no. They were too skinny in the legs and bum and the bulk of the bigger diapers would just be unimaginable.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #27
Beesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't, we got lots of use out of them (ds was 7.3lbs and almost 9lbs by 2 weeks) and I had so much fun putting his newbie stash together while I was preggo.

Kate, mama to
Miles (2.11.06), Levi (6.24.09) and Isaac (9.25.11)
Beesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #28
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would skip it if the baby was over 9 pounds.

I've had four babies. Two were born a couple weeks before their due dates, weighing about 8lbs and 8lbs, 12 oz, respectively. I didn't try cloth on my oldest but I tried it on my second, who was nearly 9 lbs at birth and only lost a couple ounces. I used standard infant prefolds on her and they had to be folded down but they worked. I think we could've fit into newborn prefolds but only for a couple weeks which wasn't worth it, to me. I did have a bunch of x-small Thirsties covers but they run large.

The other two were born prematurely, one at 33weeks and 1 day and the other at 33 weeks and 5 days. They were tiny and fit into newborn diapers forever. One was 5 1/2 pounds when she was brought home and the other weighed a bit less than 6lbs when she was brought home. They didn't chunk up until after 6 months old or so.
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #29
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

No I wouldn't skip them. Both my babies were over 9 pounds, and most typical newborn diapers lasted less than 2 weeks. I just stick with brands that run bigger so they'll last a bit longer. We also prefer sized over OS diapers, so that makes a difference, too.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #30
oddduck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used newborns for months on my first who was 5lbs 9oz @ 40 weeks -- my second was 8lbs 5oz -- 2 weeks before her EDD and only needed them for 2-3 weeks.

I regret buying XXS fitteds (5-12lbs) -- those were super cute, but outgrown so stinking fast :P She barely fit in them for her NB photos at like 10 days. I just didn't think I'd have a bigger baby after having an itty bitty one.