Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

Kiwi Pie Fitted - Do The Fabrics USUALLY Fade Quickly?

I got a Kiwi Pie fitted as part of a cloth diaper trial recently, and after only a single wash the outer print had started to fade I don't particularly LIKE the diaper (if not for the fading, I would send it back without another thought!) but I'm worried that it might not be in good enough condition for me to get my money back (in which case I'd rather keep it, if I'm going to end up paying for it!)

My question is this: Do Kiwi Pies usually fade quickly? Could this just be a normal thing for this diaper? Or is my situation unusual? I washed the diaper with all the other ones from the trial and the way I've always washed my diapers (and clothes, for that matter!) and I've never had an issue before. I'm so bummed the issue is with something I wanted to return

Advertisement

Kenner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Diaper Safari
Registered Users

Re: Kiwi Pie Fitted - Do The Fabrics USUALLY Fade Quickly?

Hmm, that sounds strange. What kind of wash routine/detergent did you use? If you're worried that the company you did the trial with won't take it back, (after contacting them and explaining) I'd contact the Kiwi Pie manufacturers directly to see if it's a defect!
Diaper Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our kiwi pie faded very fast also. I really liked the diaper but the fading kept me from buying anymore.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

Well, I use Tide and washing soda (so I'm pretty sure that will void most warranties, even though I've never had ANY issue with that combo!) and the owner of the company I got the trial from is on vacation She has someone covering her Facebook page in the meantime, and all she said was to try asking Grovia and make sure I'm using a CD safe detergent I really feel like the whole laundry thing is just an easy way for companies to not have to deal with you ("OH, you tried to do a HOT wash on that thing covered in poo? Well no, our diapers are clearly not meant for hot water, if you didn't wash on cold then we can't do anything for you". It's POOP! If you can't wash a poop covered thing in hot water, that should be a problem with how it was made, not my fault!) Sorry, end rant

But yeah, I didn't use bleach or anything (or even oxyclean, like I ususally use, just because I was trying to be careful!) so I thought it was weird that the pattern faded
Old 02-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy View Post
Our kiwi pie faded very fast also. I really liked the diaper but the fading kept me from buying anymore.
Okay, that makes me feel better!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's not really so much the specific brand of kiwi pies, and it is the knit outer. Some fade, some don't.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
It's not really so much the specific brand of kiwi pies, and it is the knit outer. Some fade, some don't.
Hmm, that makes sense. I don't know why manufacturers would use a material that might fade, but I do tend to value sturdiness over cuteness But still, this makes me feel good enough that I might still return the diaper and if there's any complaint, I can say I'm not alone in having that issue with this kind of diaper.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Beesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
In my experience knits fade after only one wash regardless of brand.

Kate, mama to
Miles (2.11.06), Levi (6.24.09) and Isaac (9.25.11)
Beesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
NessieO
Registered Users

Some cotton knit prints fade a bit. I don't think it's brand specific.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
Diaper Safari
Registered Users

That is true about some knits fading quickly. Any cotton fabric can fade, and unfortunately even the same *print* can fade differently depending on what factory it was produced at! Often diaper manufacturers have no way of knowing exactly where the fabric was made (which batch/factory) so it's impossible to know if it'll fade beforehand. I hope it works out for you!
Diaper Safari is offline   Reply With Quote