Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
2G2B
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Afraid to try bleach, have a few questions

So I have never bleached any of my diapers but reading on here it seems a lot of people do. I mainly use unbleached PF, pockets and a few fitteds and just thought bleach would ruin them. But I see a lot of people are using it on these types of diapers.

SO how does using bleach not ruin them or the pul or change the color? I am not a big bleach user to begin with and just wanted some info from you experienced mommas.

Advertisement

2G2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
YiddleDoppers
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2lumpynoodles
seller

Re: Afraid to try bleach, have a few questions

I'm not a big bleach user, either, but I have done quite a bit of testing on the subject... What I have found is that it does seem to discolour the PUL side of the fabric with heavy use (1/2 cup bleach). This really only seems to make a big difference with WHITE PUL or PUL with a white background.
On our actual diapers, I've used bleach sparingly (1-2 tbs max) on occasion (not every wash) with great results.
HTH!

PS - I have not tested any Babyville Boutique brand PUL.
"Mandie" wife to one awesome dude and Mama to a brood of active boys. Also the heart and hands behind Yiddle Doppers™ on HC and Y.Woman™ on Etsy. Looking for OOAK, rare and HTF items? Stalk us on Stalkerazzi Congo
YiddleDoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use bleach on PUL (all mine are PUL) about twice a month (a few tablespoons) in the washer and it doesn't hurt anything. I always do an extra rinse to be sure I got it all out
Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
SO how does using bleach not ruin them or the pul or change the color? I am not a big bleach user to begin with and just wanted some info from you experienced mommas.
it just doesn't. assuming your diluting the bleach (not pouring right over fabrics) not soaking in straight bleach then you will be fine. Bleach jsut isnt as damaging as many would have you believe however it DOES do an amazing job cleaning and santizing.. All our rash issues have virtually goen away since rountunuly bleaching.

PUL is color fast and the bleach wont hurt it Ive never had any discoloring of my PUL TPU or cotton covers.. unbleched prefolds will lighten and some print diapers might have soem fading so you'll have to decide your comfort level..
Remember a little bleach goes a long ways as wll..
DO be aware that if your water contains high amounts of rust using that with bleach can cause browing discoluration to appear on the diapers.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
KimKim
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was affraid to try bleach too, but I have been using 1/4 cup in wih some of the used baby clothes and diaper stuff I buy with no issues. Most of the baby clothes/blankets are light colored though.
KimKim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have never washed my covers with my diapers. For our first 3 LOs we used BSWW with PFs and I never washed them together. I felt like the covers held up better being washed alone especially if they have aplix. IMO there couldn't be as much water circulating through the machine with the PUL mixed in.

I use bleach occasionally and sparingly. I like to take care of my diapers so that they hold up well and last but they are DIAPERS. Little people poop and pee in them They are not cashmere sweaters and silk blouses. Wash those darn things in the hotttest water and use bleach and get them clean or you will have stinkies and rashes.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
rainingfluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have used up to 1/3 a cup in wash with my pockets, inserts (bamboo), wipes and wets bags. I did this every wash for 2 weeks because of terrible rash issues.

The rashes are gone and my little girl is happy.
All of my pockets have no changes, no fading at all. My inserts are slightly brighter. My wipes and wet bags however do have fading mostly with the greens and blues.

It was totally worth it to have clean dipes and a happy baby with healthy skin.
rainingfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
LaniMommy187
Registered Users

My Mood:
I too was scared witless about bleaching my diapers (and considering there almost all minky patterned pockets I felt reasonable to be worried lol) but we started to get a rash and needed to bleach ..... so I made DH do the load with a quarter cup of bleach with all 16 of my diapers. Nothing happened to them and now every two weeks (at least) we add a quarter cup of bleach. No problems.
LaniMommy187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
LaniMommy187
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy

it just doesn't. assuming your diluting the bleach (not pouring right over fabrics) not soaking in straight bleach then you will be fine. Bleach jsut isnt as damaging as many would have you believe however it DOES do an amazing job cleaning and santizing.. All our rash issues have virtually goen away since rountunuly bleaching.

PUL is color fast and the bleach wont hurt it Ive never had any discoloring of my PUL TPU or cotton covers.. unbleched prefolds will lighten and some print diapers might have soem fading so you'll have to decide your comfort level..
Remember a little bleach goes a long ways as wll..
DO be aware that if your water contains high amounts of rust using that with bleach can cause browing discoluration to appear on the diapers.
Your last line just told me why one of my itti bitti's is turning dingy looking! Thank you! But do you happen to know how to get the dingy off my white in the retro bubble lol? (hay it can't hurt to ask lol )
LaniMommy187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniMommy187 View Post
Your last line just told me why one of my itti bitti's is turning dingy looking! Thank you! But do you happen to know how to get the dingy off my white in the retro bubble lol? (hay it can't hurt to ask lol )
not 100% sure I do know there is a product called iron out that might help.. Oxyclean also may help brighten things up again.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote