Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

S/O...Moms of identical multiples....

How do you tell them apart? I know that after awhile you can tell by their personalities or they have slight differences. But, when they are newborns, how can you tell?

I would love to have twin girls...don't really know why, other than I think this next pregnancy may be my last and I want more kids. I know it would be rough at times, but I think it would be so much fun to have twins and watch them grow up together.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Cheyanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O...Moms of identical multiples....

I really want to have twins or more on my next pregnancy because it will be my last also. But I too have always wondered how do they tell them apart.

My friend left the hospital bracelets on for the first week then they would wear different diapers pink for Alana and purple for Alisha. I guess that is one way
Cheyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
2sweetboys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanne View Post
I really want to have twins or more on my next pregnancy because it will be my last also. But I too have always wondered how do they tell them apart.

My friend left the hospital bracelets on for the first week then they would wear different diapers pink for Alana and purple for Alisha. I guess that is one way
True....but what if you got them mixed up? That could get you in trouble if one has food allergies or certain medical needs and the other doesn't. I do like the idea of bracelets though...you could leave those on from birth and not worry about mixing them up.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
Camellia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First off, be *careful* what you wish for!!! Having twins isn't a little more work, it is a LOT more work. It is very fun, but I would not wish it on anyone.

One of my identical girls developed a tiny red dot on her face at about 2 months old. Before that we had to dress them differently. Annabelle wore solid colors, Willow wore prints.

One time we dressed them in something other than the assigned outfits and we got the mixed up!! We had to undress them and look at the their sacrum dimples as one was a tad deeper than the other. We are pretty sure we got them straightened out
Old 04-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:

I may be the only mama to say this but Twins are not hard!! I expected the worse. I got such easy babies! They’re handfuls at 2yo but ALL 2yo are like this!!! I’m very glad they weren’t our first because I was nutty with her. I was so totally a freaked out 1st time mama!!! With the girls I was totally laid back and prepared for every step. Nothing really hit me off guard and was hard to handle.

We believe our girls are identical and so do all the Drs and nurses that have seen them. Our pedi is amazed at how their stats have only ever been marginally different (up to 1/2in or 6oz). They had separate systems so there’s a 25% they are. If they are they’re “the most identical of all identicals”.
Until they we’re about 2mn the 6oz difference in their weight was huge. It was easy to tell them apart, Aeryn had checks and Ashe didn’t! We noticed that Ashe had a tinny birth mark on her butt. And the bump they both have on their right ear is a little bigger on Aeryn. Then we found Aeryns birth mark in her hair. By the time they started looking a ton like each other we knew we could tell them apart. Thank goodness!!!

At 2mn I realized it was really hard to tell them apart in pictures so I color coded them. Aeryn gets pinks, reds, greens and stripes. Ashe gets purples, blues and patterns. At 3mn we got anklets with their names. Aeryns was gold, Ashes was silver (ODS and ODD picked). At 6mn we pierced their ears again gold and silver and then pink and blue ‘stones’. Their anklets bothered them so we got charm bracelets. Aeryns is on her right arm (the side she was one) and has a pink stone. Ashes is on her left arm (side she was on) and has a purple stone. Ashe has a now fading scar on her forehead (2 stitches) from where Aeryn hit her with a tub toy. When I dress them identically I put Aeryn in one pony tail and Ashe in two (Aeryn was born 1st).

The girls have different personalities and expressions for the most part but they swap at times. So this isn’t very reliable. I’ve been teaching them their names and to say “no that’s sissy. I’m___” But they think it’s funny to tell you the wrong name!!!! Aeryn totally cracks up when she convinces people she’s Ashe!! And Ashe just rolls her eyes and smiles when she tricks you! They also have taken to swapping clothes while playing. LOL this totally confuses DH and my mom!!!
When it comes down to it I use their bracelets and earrings. If they where boys I’d be screwed!!!

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote