Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
mamma_z
Registered Users

Family planning & tandem nursing

Our first baby is 6 months old, and I'm starting to think about having another. I'm not sure when weaning will happen with DS, but I definitely want him to have breastmilk for a year. I'd like him to be comfortable with it when we stop, but I'm not really sure if tandem breastfeeding is for me. Nursing one baby, especially a newborn, was pretty stressful, although I do love my BF time with DS now I just don't know if I could do two.

Did breastfeeding affect your family planning? I would like our babies to be somewhat close in age, so I was thinking we should start trying in a few months, but I was wondering what other mamas do. TIA!

Advertisement

mamma_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Family planning & tandem nursing

I became pregnant with LO2 when LO1 was 9mo. We were VERY surprised as I had undergone several years of infertility treatments to have LO1 and had no ppaf. I continued to nurse her and my supply got very low. This did not stop her from nursing she just kept on and then continued after her brother was born and my supply returned. Do you have af? If you really want to nurse a full year you may want to wait a bit to ensure a better chance of keeping your milk. Personal preference really I am an EBFer and have nursed through 2 of my pregnancies with no issue but many mamas are not that lucky.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

I have also nursed through 2 pregnancies my kids are 29 months 18 months and 4 months so very close in age I'm currently tandem nursing both girl's and loving it
Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tandem nursing isn't easy, and I have had a hard time keeping my patience when pregnant. That said, I'm working on baby number 3 and nursing DD2 whom is 15 months.

It can be done. That said, some moms CAN'T get pregnant while nursing. Simply impossible. Its nature's way of making sure your body can handle pregnancy after having a baby. If you haven't had a ppaf, then you will have to decide which is more important when you're really ready. Whether you want to wean to get pregnant or whether you want to wait for your body and baby to be ready.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
tiners17
Registered
seller

My Mood:

My girls are 2 years apart and I nursed DD1 until I was around 3-4 mo. pregnant. I think my milk supply got really low and since we were really only nursing before bed we started to have daddy rock her to sleep and get up with her for me to wean her the rest of the way. AF came back for me while nursing at 13mo and at 14 mo I was preggo again! It was "one time" seriously! SO glad they are close together though, they will be great buddies for life Good luck and I am sure it will work out for you, things have a way of working themselves out!
Tina : mama to two wonderful little girls and starting my new WAHM business, Sweet Little Blossoms! Sweet little flowers for hair, purse, hat/beanie, outfit, where ever you need a flower to brighten your day! Featuring Tessa Ann buttons to match your wool! Customs open here.

My ISO/IHA.
tiners17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
kgmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiners17
My girls are 2 years apart and I nursed DD1 until I was around 3-4 mo. pregnant. I think my milk supply got really low and since we were really only nursing before bed we started to have daddy rock her to sleep and get up with her for me to wean her the rest of the way. AF came back for me while nursing at 13mo and at 14 mo I was preggo again! It was "one time" seriously! SO glad they are close together though, they will be great buddies for life Good luck and I am sure it will work out for you, things have a way of working themselves out!
This is almost exactly how it was for my older two!

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum