Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
moteq
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: pumping question..

If you're just trying to store for the occasional bottle, might I suggest hand-expression? Here's a link that explains a great method: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/bre...sing-your-milk

I exclusively pumped with a hospital-grade pump for 3 months, and then when both kiddos were home from the NICU, switched to a commercial pump (Ameda Purely Yours). I found that with practice I could hand-express an extra half-ounce on each side after each pumping session, and eventually ditched the pump altogether.

There are videos out there, or I'd be happy to pm you with tips.

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
abbi_n_nadia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had an electric pump and it always hurt and made my nipples sore so I gave up on pumping, didn't even try with my second baby. This time (3rd baby) I got a Lansinoh manual pump and I love it! It dosnt hurt at all! Even when my nipples were sore when she was a week old the pump didn't cause any pain. So a manual hand pump might be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 02-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
CandiceW
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nak...
Thanks ladies. I willdef try less suction, turn down to min. I got a little manual pump from the lady I bought from, guess its came with electric pump for travel. I will give that a try too when I figure out how to put back together..loltook apart to wash
Baby Matthew 05-27-2014
Baby #4 due January 2016
CandiceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #14
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I got better at this over time and aside from adjusting the suction... Relaxation. The more relaxed you are, the more milk flows. Looking at pictures of my baby - or any baby, but my baby worked best for me.

It was never as great as nursing, but I got much more when I started focussing on relaxation.

Also... I know some will get all twisted up about this, but with my middle dd, we just gave her an occasional bottle of formula. I think it was one/day so dh could feed her. I don't feel like it was that big a deal. She was still mostly ebf and it took the pumping out of my life (I had a harder time then, and hate hate hated pumping) and allowed dh to really bond with her.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
mrsashleyo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You've gotten good advice do far. I'll just add the medela makes soft flanges and those might be more comfortable for you. The PISA is nice in that you can adjust the suction. First time I used it I thought it would rip my nipples off! I just make sure to use nipple cream before and after. I got used to it after a bit. Do you do the rubber band trick for hands free pumping? It makes it so easy to pump while BFing or pump while doing anything! I can't explain how to twist the rubber bands together but I can try to get pics if you need?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #16
CandiceW
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yes I would love a pic if you have one of the rubberband. Still was scared to use the pump.. maybe today lol
Baby Matthew 05-27-2014
Baby #4 due January 2016
Old 02-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
mrsashleyo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

her is a good pic tutorial from kelly mom

http://kellymom.com/momblog/bf/pumpi...-free-pumping/

hth, let me know if you have more questions
Old 02-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #18
CandiceW
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsashleyo View Post
her is a good pic tutorial from kelly mom

http://kellymom.com/momblog/bf/pumpi...-free-pumping/

hth, let me know if you have more questions
very very interesting! thanks!!
Baby Matthew 05-27-2014
Baby #4 due January 2016
Old 02-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #19
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hmmm pumping actually doesn't hurt nearly as much as nursing does for me. I've always gotten a TON of milk when pumping, usually 7-8oz total in 10-15mins. I used to get 8oz each side in 15 mins with my twins. The nurses in the nursery were amazed! Too bad they didn't encourage me to freeze it, they dumped the left over after 3 days which was a LOT when they were taking an ounce or two max at each feed. :-(
Anyway, I have the PISA too and definitely start at a lower suction, you can also use lanolin while pumping to help with pain and when you feel the let down there is that let down button or it will happen automatically at some point. I was able to pump exclusively for a good week plus after surgery and will have to again here when I go for my tubal on Fri. I am going to start pumping between feeds this week and hope to have enough for all day Friday while I'm in surgery and recovery.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #20
Kirsie
Registered Users
Formerly: Kir***m
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a history of low supply so pumpin tends to give me anxiety. Obviously anxiety is not conducive to achieving let-down. Now as I'm tending to my day, as soon as I feel myself let-down, I go and pump. That way I'm not all tense waiting for it, pumping nothing and getting really stressed. I have a Lactina and I always start off low and slowly increase pressure once the mill flow starts to slow down. I never go beyond midway, either as I find it makes my nipples really sore afterwards. If you find you nipple cracking really bad, I'd see the doctor cuz you may be having an issue with thrush and lanolin or nipple creams won't really offer long term help with that. You could also look at getting a Rx for Dr. Norman's nipple cream. It is really amazing stuff.