Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Registered Users
What can I do?

I have a 9 month old and the last few days to a week have been a struggle with nursing. Baby is either not interested or struggles at the breast, latching on and off in frustration and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I gave her some formula and she has been downing it all. It seems like I am drying up but I don't know why. I know FOR SURE that I am not pregnant. I keep offering nursing but she gets so hungry and frustrated. Even after nursing, she still will drink a few ounces of formula. Why would I just randomly dry up? Is there anything I can do to get milk back? I have only been able to nurse one good meal all day (14 hours?) and I am just now feeling maybe a tiny bit of milk back. I never feel full. I am going to start pumping too I guess. Any ideas or support would be good. Unfortunately, I am just super super busy right now (working 50 hours a week plus taking college classes) so struggle to nurse and then trying to pump on top of that is not going to work for me for long. I really wanted to nurse for at least a year and am worried this is not going to happen.

With my second, I dryed up at 8 months and really didnt care to try and keep things going when baby was fine with weaning. I do want to continue nursing if I can for longer this time.

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Registered Users
Well, giving formula will cause your milk supply to decrease. By 9 months your breasts won't likely feel "full" unless it's been a LONG time since you last nursed. If you want your supply to come back up you need to kick the formula and just nurse as much as possible. Make sure you are nursing before solids. Maybe go into a dark, quiet room with no distractions to encourage her to nurse.
Single Mommy to my 3 year old DS born all natural. We are a Cosleeping, Breastfeeding, Babywearing Non-Vaxing DUO!!
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
I'm having the same issues as well. My 4 month old is doing the same thing I feel like I have no milk for her. It's frustrating.
WOTH Mom and AF Wife to beautiful dd (15 months) with one on the way! (EDD 7/3/13)
nicolejshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
I know its hard but nursing is a supply and demand process. If she is wanting more and your suplimenting with formula then your body won't know she needs more. So as much as possible I would let her nurse. If your comfortable try cosleeping and let her nurse during the night. Also when my DS1 was that age he started to nurse less and want more solids which is normal. I always nursed first though. Also I would pump while nursing to save time. Other things is just to make sure you are taking care of yourself, drinking tons of water, eating well, rest is importaint too. oatmeal is supposed to boost supply and fenugreek can also do wonders for boosting supply. Hth!
I am a nurse and wife to Gavin, my wonderful CD suporting husband of 5 yrs. Proud baby wearing, Breastfeeding Mommy to Ronan 7/22/10and Larkin 1/11/12. ISO/IHA
mrsashleyo is offline   Reply With Quote