Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think I have a bladder infection at 6wks

This is probably a silly question, but here goes anyway.

I have a history of recurrent bladder infections. However, even though this is my 4th pregnancy (technically 5th), I've never had one while pregnant. I think I have one now...along with the yeast I'm fighting from the antibiotic I took for the strep I had last week. I can go to the urgent care tonight, but I feel like I should go to my OB. I know bladder infections while pregnant are not a good thing. However, I'm only 6wks. So, I really don't think it is that big a deal other than being in pain. My OB is an hour away and my urgent care clinic is 5 minutes away. I might have to take all 5 of my kids with me to the OB, but I could go to the urgent care after my husband gets home from work.

Here is the big clencher...I'm pregnant through my last FET cycle (a frozen IVF cycle). It *might* be twins, my 3rd set. My betas indicate it might be. But, I haven't had an u/s yet. If I go to the OB, he might do a quick u/s. If I go to the urgent care, they won't. I am dying to know how many babies I have in there!!!! This would be a sneaky way to get one early!

So, I guess my question is: Is is silly to feel like I need to go to the OB for a bladder infection at 6wks? Would they think I should be there or at my primary care dr? (I don't have one, so it would be the urgent care.)

Sorry, that was long.

Update: Going to urgent care tonight.

Advertisement

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 02-20-2012 at 11:17 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I think I have a bladder infection at 6wks

Hmm...I guess it's up to you about how important the ultrasound is. I tend to avoid ultrasound that early on anyway, so it wouldn't affect my decision. I wouldn't go to urgent care for a bladder infection; I would just take tons of whole food vitamin C, probiotics, and eat lots of yogurt and kefir. Maybe some cranberry juice...and then give it a couple of days to see if it got any worse or cleared up on it's own.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I suffered from recurrent UTIs before I had corrective surgery. Knowing how painful/miserable they can be and that my copay for urgent care clinic is no different than a normal hospital visit - I would just go pee in a cup and get my antibiotics.

I wouldn't want to mess around with that while pregnant (dunno about you but mine spread FAST). Especially after FET. Especially if it might be twins.

ETA my copay for urgent care is the same as a normal OFFICE visit, not hospital.

Sent from my Galaxy SII Skyrocket using DS Forum

Last edited by EmmaGM; 02-20-2012 at 10:02 AM.
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never been able to clear one up on it's own. I got one every other week for almost 5 years when my husband and I first got married. They never, ever cleared up on their own. So, if it happens to clear up between now and tomorrow, great! But, otherwise, I will definitely be on antibiotics because my symptoms get so painful they've come really close to landing me in the ER several times and have definitely left me completely unable to function many, many times. Most of the time, from the time I start to feel it to the time I'm doubled over crying in pain is just a matter of hours. I think this one is coming on more slowly, but I'm not even sure I'll make it till tomorrow.

I appreciate your input though!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

You could always go to urgent care- get a safe antibiotic for pregnancy and then check in with your OB tomorrow.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Emma - We posted at the same time. Thanks for understanding. Mine do get very bad very quickly. Once I remember crying to my dr. saying "I don't understand why they hurt so badly. Other women just find them a slight annoyance. I'm in utter pain and misery and can't function." My dr. told me they just affect some women much more severely. I guess you and I are just lucky. My co-pay for my OB is $50 until I have my first OB appt, which I haven't yet. My urgent care is $30. But, it would totally be worth $20 to me for an u/s.

Hands&fire - that is a good idea. i was thinking that I will make an appt with my OB and then if the symptoms kick up and I can't wait, I'll go to the urgent care tonight and cancel the appt with the OB in the morning.