Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tattoo question - What are the rules on copying?

Title pretty much says it all. I am in love with someone else's tattoo (online). What are the rules, unwritten or not, about copying it?

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Urchin
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tattoo question - What are the rules on copying?

Don't do it.

Find some way to change it to make it your own, but don't copy it!
Urchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Lovely Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

legalities aside because i just dont my vote is for do it.. its your body. If your in love with it, will make you happy, why not? If the tattoo is that awesome im willing to bet your not the first one to want to (or actually) copy it.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Lovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would copy but have it changed a little to make it one of a kind. Take it from me, tattoos are much better and you're more likely to love it forever if it means something and represent you in some way.

Sent from my iPhone, typing one handed with one babe on the boob and two climbing the walls. :}
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

To each her own. I know that infinite love tattoo is pretty popular right now. I see a bunch of tattoos and wish I would have been the one to think it up.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most tattoo artists will not do a direct copy of someone elses tattoo. I would be beyond mad if someone copied my tattoo. If it's flash straight off the wall NBD but if its a custom piece that someone created just for me no way.

My tattoo artist gave me the sketches and the transfer so I knew he wouldn't reuse the exact design.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
napua
Registered Users
seller
seller

I wouldn't mind if someone based their tattoo off of one of mine but I'd be less than impressed if it were actually copied. All of mine are original and some have very personal meanings.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I don't think there's any legal rules regarding "coying" tattoos. I think that's because each individual tattoo is a product of the individual artist and it's considered to be an individual piece of artwork as a result. Kinda like, if a painter creates his own copy of the Mona Lisa, from just looking at the original, he's "copied" the piece, but the "copy" is his own piece of artwork. It's if he tried to sell his copy as the original that there's problem.

So, tattoos are the same thing I think.

As for individuality, there seems to be some sort of unwritten rule that each and every tattoo has to be singuarly unique to be a "real" tattoo. Like it's somehow not personal enough if it's not uniquely you own creation, or the tattoo artists creation based solely on your input.

I dunno that I agree with that. I see tattoos as decoration and you decorate your body however you want. I choose to decorate mine with cartoon characters and smiley faces. You choose whatever you want, even if someone else has the same thing.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
FourSaplings
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't copy. That being said I have copied. I have soon to be two tattoos like my dad and one like my good friend. She died when I was 18, which is why I got it. So they are a little different senarios.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know of any tattoo artists that would copy another tattoo exactly if it isn't one of their stock designs on the wall, but I'm not sure about the people in area.

Can you take something from the design and add/change it so that it is personalized for you? Maybe look at it some more and that can spark an idea of something else that could be even more symbolic/meaningful for you?

We have a polynesian family crest that I would super upset if I saw on someone else.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote