Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
bonillaphotography
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How long do you nurse your baby before you wean?

My baby will be a year old on Friday, and so I am starting to think about how much longer I want to nurse her. I feel my production is coming way down now that she is sleeping through the night (very recently this happened). I just wanted to see when other people weaned their babies. Thanks!

Advertisement

bonillaphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: How long do you nurse your baby before you wean?

I weaned my first 2 children a few months shy of 4 years old. This baby is likely to be our last so I'm hoping to nurse closer to 5 years old.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

My DS is 28 months and still nursing frequently. I'm hoping he goes to at least age 4
Old 02-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD is 3.5 and still nursing. I don't see any signs that she will completely wean anytime soon and I'm not planning to wean her because our nursing relationship works for both of us. She nurses two or three times a day: first thing in the morning, before a nap (if she takes one), and before bed.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dd1 nursed until just after her second birthday. Dd2 is almost a year old and still nursing.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
rcima
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is 14 months and still nurses very frequently. She will wean when she's ready to wean.
rcima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have to give a big thumbs up to you mamas going to 3, 4, 5 yrs old! Ds is 11 months and while I do love nursing him I just don't think I could go that long, even though I know how great it is for him. Maybe it's because he's so attached to me and doesn't nap much that I feel like I need some personal space back!

To the op, as long as you are happy nursing there's no reason to stop. I don't want to force weaning on him so I plan to follow don't offer don't refuse when he hits a year. I know that is a weaning philosophy but I know he's going to ask. He's still up at night to nurse some so I see him going longer than I might want to but I don't want weaning to have tears involved.

But, it's a 2 way relationship so if you are unhappy with it then look to try weaning. If your LO is still up at night then look to night weaning first. I thought I was going to try that first but he's now starting to sleep 6-8 hour stretches and I'm pretty sure he's hungry so I nurse him. One day he'll sleep all night. He's a busy boy all day long so I'm guessing he's got a super fat metabolism and just needs those calories.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first weaned at 38 months. My second is still going strong at 15 months (even though I'm pregnant). There is no day that your milk stops being good for your baby. If you are happy, then keep going. If you're not, slowly begin the weaning process. The advantage to slowly weaning, is that if you reach a point where you are both happy, you can continue on until something changes. Otherwise, abrupt weaning means there's no going back. And more importantly, abrupt weaning isn't good for mom.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
DD1 I nursed for almost 2 years. DD2 is 18 months and still going strong.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first weaned at 2 yrs because I needed it to stop. I was feeling uncomfortable and bitter toward him. Not the point,right?! I think this one may go a little longer because I'm more at peace and he,s pretty needy. Good luck mama, do what's best for you and your family