Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Registered Users
Introducing Logan

Ok, let's see how far I get before DS1 wakes up from his nap. Logan is sleeping on Daddy's chest right now while Daddy gets a much deserved nap. (he let me nap this morning)

Last night we were busy, busy. DD had a birthday party to go to and afterwards we met up with DH and DS and tried out the new Asian Buffet. Pretty good, definitely the best of the chinese options we have in town (that's not saying much though, the others suck!). After the kids went to bed, DH and I did a little looking at acupressure points to stimulate labor, but didn't really do much with them.

Around 2:35 or 2:40 this morning I woke up feeling like I had to pee. As soon as I was coherent enough to have that thought, I felt a pop. I rolled over and slid out of bed in an attempt to get my butt off the bed before the gush of water hit. I was successful! I called over my shoulder to DH as I headed to the bathroom, "Wake up, let's do this!"

DH tipped the pool down (thank goodness we blew it up ahead of time) and got it situated. He hooked up the hose while I started stripping our bed and timing my contractions. They were pretty much 2 min apart from the start. DH called the midwife at 2:45 and found out she was across town delivering another baby. uh oh!!

We got the pool filled just up to the minimum line before it was getting too cool so DH stopped the water to give the hot water heater a chance to regroup and I got in. I had 2 or 3 contractions in the pool. I remember during one I caught myself thinking "omg, this really hurts, why am I doing this again?" After that one, DH went out to get something or other for me and I remember thinking that my thought process sounded a lot like transition. But that wasn't possible, I couldn't be hitting transition already. The next contraction started before DH got back and I found myself involuntarily pushing. Huh, guess that was transition after all. DH came back in and was able to tell immediately what I was doing. After that contraction, he got me to move so that I could grab one of the other handles on the pool and he jumped in with me.

Watching the birth videos, I didn't think I would want DH in the pool with me, but I'm glad he did! I remembered to hold my hand over his head as I pushed to try and keep myself from going too fast. I do remember pushing DH's hand away at that point because I felt like if I wasn't holding it, I'd push too hard and tear. After the head was out, I had a 20 second break or so and DH and I just stared at each other in surprise. Then the rest of his body came out and we caught him together and brought him up to my chest. It was 3:15am.

DH got us a towel to wrap around the baby and we watched him pink up and "talk" a little. He was making noise and breathing, but not crying. He did eventually let out a couple of cries, but overall he was very calm coming out. He nursed a little bit while we were in the pool. After a few minutes, DH called our midwife again to let her know and to ask her what else he should do for us. It turned out that her other birth ended up with a baby who was having a little trouble breathing and they were waiting on an ambulance for a transfer. (Baby ended up fine, just needed deeper suctioning than Kelly could do in the field, but now they're being held for the full 24 hours and the mom is being harassed about a lot of "policy" crap.)

After awhile the water starting feeling cool so DH helped me up and out of the pool and into bed so I could get dry towels on me and the baby and cover us up. We snuggled until our midwife arrived. She checked us both over and was really happy with baby's breathing and such. She helped me deliver the placenta since it was finally ready to come out.

I got to take a nice herbal bath with baby and then she checked me out and did the newborn exam. I had one small tear that just needed one suture, I was pretty impressed, considering how fast he came! Logan is 20.5 inches long and 7 pounds, 4 ounces. My biggest baby yet! The afterpains are brutal and I'm taking both a homeopathic "after birth relief" and ibuprofen. No fair that they get worse after each child!

It turns out DS2 is a squeaker! When he sleeps he makes this little squeaky noise in his throat that sounds like a door that needs WD40! So funny! DH has been AMAZING!!! Best husband ever! He's exhausted too, but he let me and baby sleep this morning and he's been wrangling the two older kids all day, plus getting me food and refilling my water bottle. LOVE him. Just love him. Not to mention being the one to catch our son!!

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, but I think I got the main points! And of course, the pictures:

shortly after birth

nursing for the first time

first diaper: Lil Joey

snuggling and snoozing with Daddy

Erin ~ in love with my DH, Eric mama to Kaitlyn (June '07),
Alex (April '10) and Logan (February '12)

Last edited by tuckergirl; 02-19-2012 at 03:05 PM.
tuckergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Introducing Logan

Mommy to my Monster (11/12/2007) and my Peanut (3/26/2012)
KaylaJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Amazing birth story!! He is so precious!
SAHM , happily married to DH since 4/05; Mommy to our little Doodles 2/08, my VBAC babies 3/10 and 4/12.
CountryChicMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

What a beautiful story and pics!!! Congrats on your new little man!!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

So beautiful! Congrats mama
Hugs and kisses mama to Christopher JR & Taylor Wayne
Waylon Michael Cole EDD 3/17/12 Loving Chris for 6yrs
Custom LongiesApril Violet DressesCustom Fleece Pocket Diapers
angelina_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Registered Users

What an amazing birth story! Congrats, he is beautiful!!!
Hope: Child of God, loving wife to Thomas, mommy to Georgia (5/2007) and Eli (3/2012)
georgiasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

lucky mama good jobbb hes sweet
Started off with 1 and we call her "sum",next was baby number two...I was buying "blue",baby number three I was "seeing more pink" and by this Christmas 2013.. a NEW gift for me! We are a Breast-feeding,baby wearing,cloth diapering,mama clothing,circ'ing,vaxing kinda family!
wyatt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:
That's awesome! Congratulations on your beautiful baby!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
HSing Mama of five
lissa~K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Introducing Logan cute! It's a good thing that you had that tub already blown up! I never would have been that prepared, lol!
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk!
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
Registered Users

Congrats mama! I just had my DS on Friday!!!
Erin Schillo~Owner/Operator/WAHM
Use code DSmama for 5% off your purchase of $30 or more!
eschillo is offline   Reply With Quote