Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Marchkins Chat 2/20-2/26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily View Post
Has anyone had contractions that didn't hurt at first? Or ones that just felt like tightening? Two days ago I started getting them, maybe just a couple that day (like 3-4 in a 12 hour period). The next day, I started getting 1-2 an hour. Now I'm getting quite a few in an hour, maybe almost every 10 minutes or so.

They don't hurt. They just feel like my belly is tightening, sometimes some of them feel like they are working/spreading the uterus area (hard to explain). But not painful. When I finally went into labor with the last 3, they were not painful, but they took my breath away from the amount of squeeze, and I could time how long they lasted. These are just ones I barely notice.

Are these BH? I've heard many women start labor with these kind of contractions, but for the life of me, I CANNOT remember what me pre-labor symptoms were. I just remember having contractions for a LONG time before real labor. I had days and sometimes weeks of labor that came and went. This time we started EPO early, so I will find out TODAY if I'm dilated or effaced (if my cervix isin't too high to check.. like it usually is).

Just curious if anyone has these as they get closer to the real thing, or if my body is just having a good time doing BH contractions.
I have been having those kinds of contractions for almost 2 weeks now. They aren't calling them BH contractions in my case since they don't go away (BH contractions supposedly go away if you drink a glass of water and lay down and rest, --supposedly when you get back up, they are gone).

Advertisement

m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #22
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m&m View Post
I have been having those kinds of contractions for almost 2 weeks now. They aren't calling them BH contractions in my case since they don't go away (BH contractions supposedly go away if you drink a glass of water and lay down and rest, --supposedly when you get back up, they are gone).
Yeah, that's what I thought too... that BH go away after a short while. Hmm... I'm really hoping I don't have a week or two of these, although I really don't mind because they don't hurt, and don't take my breath away. I would get really mad if they did start hurting or being tiring and lasted forever. I had that happen before.. I was NOT a happy camper. It was the most awful thing ever. Days of complete exhaustion before a long, painful labor was NOT fun. But my last labor didn't seem to have them as much, so hopefully with another labor it won't be as bad.

I hope you have that baby soon!! How did the EPO work for you? (I think I remember you saying you were starting it... can't remember..) The only thing I don't like about it is that it leaks out, and that's kind of annoying.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #23
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought too... that BH go away after a short while. Hmm... I'm really hoping I don't have a week or two of these, although I really don't mind because they don't hurt, and don't take my breath away. I would get really mad if they did start hurting or being tiring and lasted forever. I had that happen before.. I was NOT a happy camper. It was the most awful thing ever. Days of complete exhaustion before a long, painful labor was NOT fun. But my last labor didn't seem to have them as much, so hopefully with another labor it won't be as bad.

I hope you have that baby soon!! How did the EPO work for you? (I think I remember you saying you were starting it... can't remember..) The only thing I don't like about it is that it leaks out, and that's kind of annoying.
The contractions have been tiring for sure!!

They got a little more intense last night, didn't sleep much but not super tired today either. I have had 2 doses orally and 1 vaginally of the EPO so far. I am going to go pick up some rasperry leaf tea too I think.
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #24
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

I guess I just meant that of course there will be food, and if there isn't what people want, then my husband can go 2 minutes down the street to get it. Since there's no telling when labor will actually happen, when am I supposed to buy bread and sandwich meat, anyway? It doesn't stay good for more than a week. I'll have croissants, yogurt, cheese, bacon, eggs, milk, granola bars, cornbread...etc. Food is not really an issue; it just might not be sandwiches unless someone wants to go to the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMandy View Post
My best friend is a midwife and I know that sometimes she doesn't get anything to eat because she's bouncing from one birth to another and doing after care too. I have to say that it would be wise to consider your midwives and have a basket of things out for them. I don't mean to sound abrasive but the lack of a hospitable attitude really shocked me in these posts!!

I know you are the one laboring, but your midwife may have had an exhausting or even emotional day as well.
I recommend having some Clif bars, clementines and other fruits, pb crackers, and such available for them. You don't have to have a full meal for them, but it's good to have something filling and energy-giving available. You could throw in some bags of tea or leave out the coffee pot with a bag of grinds by it so they can get a caffeine boost.

I really encourage you to think of the people at your birth- not that you should serve them, but have things available for them to serve themselves. A hungry midwife is a cranky midwife!!!

Also, yes- people DO need to eat in the middle of the night if they are awake and using energy. If you're sleeping, you don't need a snack or meal because you are resting and your body is fasting!

Again, not trying to be argumentative, it just really stung to read those things. It's really not a huge deal to have some sandwich meat and some cheese in the fridge, and set out a bag of crackers or something. You want your midwives to have energy so they can be clear headed in case of an emergency!

Bah, I'm probably going to get beaten over the head for being argumentative, but I promise, that's not my heart here!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a bunch of those last night when going to bed. I thought maybe labor would start last night or today but nothing. I had them like every 10 minutes and almost did feel like my cervix was opening as I felt some pressure down there too and the tightening was very strong. I wasn't sure if they were Braxton hicks either because I never felt anything with DD.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&m&m View Post
The contractions have been tiring for sure!!

They got a little more intense last night, didn't sleep much but not super tired today either. I have had 2 doses orally and 1 vaginally of the EPO so far. I am going to go pick up some rasperry leaf tea too I think.
I just picked up more RRL tea. I wish it weren't so darn expensive. It seems like it's the only kind that never goes on sale, also!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #27
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
Still no baby. I did make my husband inflate the birth pool though because I have been having contractions every 15 minutes since midnight, so I'm fairly sure I'm in early labor....it's apparently going to take a while though. I was spoiled with a 6 hour and 2 hour labor for my girls, so I'm not sure what to think about this several days in labor thing. Hubby went to work today and chasing the kids isn't exactly easy mid contraction!

On a better note, I was so convinced I was going to have a baby last night that my house is now very clean and I cooked a ham and made 7 freezer meals. With my last baby, a whole bunch of people told me they would bring meals and only 2 actually did, so I took matters into my own hands. If people bring me food, it just means I'll have to cook less later.
That's exciting! Keep us updated Yay on the feezer meals; I'll be making another quiche this week and probably some muffins or something like that.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #28
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiasmommy View Post
I have a c/c scheduled for March 9 and am delivering at a hospital with very strict rules. No one is allowed in my recovery room, hubby is not allowed behind the glass in the nursery (he stayed right beside DD the entire time I was in recovery last time), and I cannot have my baby for at least the first 90 min or so. I am requesting DH cut the cord in the OR (not standard practice here), that he be WITH the baby after delivery up until he hands LO to me, and that they both come into my recovery once I'm stitched up, etc (and I would like to nurse at this time if needed). With DD, everyone got to hold her/gawk at her before I did because I was in recovery for THREE hours (ER c/s, they put me under g.a. for 2 hrs after delivering) and they gave her sugar water in a bottle while I was in recovery- made me SO angry!
yikes, that sounds rough! I hope they respect your wishes; those are really ridiculous policies! I wonder what their breastfeeding rates are with all of that separation between baby and family

Claire's ridiculous cuteness bought her a stuffed animal from Whole foods today, lol. I let her hold a stuffed frog that was sitting around randomly, but there was no price on it. At the register we found out it was 14$, and I just couldn't spend that much when she already has a ton of toys. She looked SO SAD when I took it away that the lady gave it to her for free, and fortunately Claire was very gracious and said "thank you" and that she would take care of it in the car. hahaha. All the while saying "so pretty...." and kissing the frog. It was just really funny, but I almost feel like she'll learn that she can get what she wants by being cute if that happens very often..
Old 02-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
McMandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wouldn't buy anything that would spoil quickly because, like you said, you have no idea when you will deliver!

I have been having lots of contractions for several weeks. They aren't painful at all but after hours of them, my stomach feels worn out!

I didn't feel many of my contractions (just felt by hand that my belly was super tight) with most of my labors up until a few hours before transition. Then the back labor hit!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #30
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Finally the day is over, except I don't want to go to bed yet.

DD1 never napped and I had her by myself the entire day. I usually do pretty good if I have to do that but 8 months pregnant - not so fun. I had to go to the store to get some stuff for dh today too while he was sick and took her with me, I quit taking her to the store by myself months ago. At least dh seems to be feeling a little bit better.

I have been hungry all day though. My appetite had backed off there for a few weeks but with what I've eaten the past couple days...I don't wanna know how my weight is right now. And I know I have ice cream in the freezer....

And, I'm thankful for an uneventful and almost full term pregnancy, but....I would really like to have my baby now! I'm sure that sentiment will get stronger as the days go by but I'm really looking forward to baby on the outside vs. one on the inside right now.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote