Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Laura Lou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
white spot on my nipple hurts!

i think it started when my son bit me. i've had a spot on the tip of my nipple that hurts a lot. it's injured, but i can't really tell what's wrong with it. i don't know it it's infected, ...dead?, or what. it gets scratchy with dead skin, and some times seems like it's going to get better. but it's back to how it was. It's white, like there's no blood supply to that little spot. and it gets really hard and hurts. if i squish it, it softens and feels better, but it never gets normal. this has been going on for maybe 2 months now. what do you think? i really try to avoid the doctor, but i don't know what's the matter here.

Advertisement

Laura Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

Could it be a milk bleb? I'm on my phone so I can't link, but if you search kelly mom.com for milk bleb or llli.com you should find something. for now you could try puting a warm damp washcloth on it after breastfeeding.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: white spot on my nipple hurts!

it's a bleb, they are kinda like the ones you get on your tongue. they hurt!! warm compress and don't pick at it. it should go away in a day or so
Old 02-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
pagodagirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

might also be Raynaud's of the nipple.
It's where you get a vasospasm (the blood vessels clamp down) and the area gets white and painful. Does cold make it worse?
Do you get white painful fingers or toes when you get cold? (that can be a form of raynaud's as well)
if so keeping the area warm and protected (not rubbing against something irritating) should help
Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
mama2beans
Registered Users
seller

yup, definitely sounds like a milk bleb. im too new here to post links, but do a kellymom search for milk bleb or milk blister and you'll get info about it and how to treat it. i had one once and it is sooo painful for such a tiny thing! sorry you are experiencing this!
mama2beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Laura Lou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

seems to me like the vessels have clamped down. or got cut off. I'll check out the bleb thing. I never heard of a bleb before. Thanks, everyone! I didn't nurse on that side until late this afternoon and it feels better than yesterday. maybe if i just keep him off it, it could get better. i'm open to more suggestions.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
Laura Lou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i've had it about half a year now and it bothers me much less at the moment, although it is still there. don't know if the warmer weather has helped. plenty of times a layer of skin has come off there and i thought it would be better, but it still has some issue. at least it's not hurting like before