Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Opinions Please.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiejane View Post
I would get a different Dr. My dd is 16 months and weighs only 17lbs 6 oz. She is not even on the growth chart and my dr. says she is just on her own growth curve. If they continue to grow steadily, what is the problem? Some Dr.s are a little crazy.
YES! My YDD is not even on the chart she is WAY above...but does this mean I shouldn't feed her? The chart is simply a generalization, some babes weigh more some less, health is what is most important.

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
kferg
Registered Users

Sounds like your LO is about the same size as my DS! My son will be 10 months in a week. My dr freaked me out at the 6 month appointment and still wishes he was a little fatter but I explained that he eats ALL the time (breastmilk, baby foods, and whatever we eat). She finally laid off at his last appointment. She said since he's gaining and meeting all of his milestones she's not too worried. She said its better to be under then to be over and have to worry about obesity later on. Try not to stress out about it!
kferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
Funnyfarmmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferg View Post
Sounds like your LO is about the same size as my DS! My son will be 10 months in a week. My dr freaked me out at the 6 month appointment and still wishes he was a little fatter but I explained that he eats ALL the time (breastmilk, baby foods, and whatever we eat). She finally laid off at his last appointment. She said since he's gaining and meeting all of his milestones she's not too worried. She said its better to be under then to be over and have to worry about obesity later on. Try not to stress out about it!
Thanks mama!! Thats pretty much how i feel and what i told the Dr how he eats ALL the time I just think he is going to have a fast metabolism and is active! To top it off i am barely 5ft tall and most of my life just barely 100lbs so according to the dr I'd be way off the "growth curve" too
Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
kferg
Registered Users

All of my friends have huge babies! I don't really realize how small he is until I put him up next to other babies.

I just have fun and give him all kinda of fattening foods like custard and cobblers... Foods I for sure wouldn't be giving him if he were fat. lol

It's hard not to stress when the trained professionals are telling you he's too small but you know he's eating a lot and he's developing so just keep reminding yourself that they're book educated but you're life educated so your knowledge/instincts are just as significant as theirs.
kferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #15
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

That is horrible advice. The amount of formula he is recommending would take the place of breastfeeding almost completely, if not completely. He is basically, in a subtle way, telling you to wean to formula.

I think it is important to have a doctor that you trust to consult with so if there is a true cause for concern, it can be addressed. If you can't trust the doctor's judgement in giving good healthcare advice, then I don't see the point in continuing a relationship with them.

If it were me, I'd keep nursing and following my instincts, as a mother. And look for another doctor.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #16
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I agree that the doc's advice is ridiculous. Baby is happy, baby is growing, baby is hitting milestones. What's the problem? Some people are just small, breast or bottle. Especially since you've already been through the small child thing, it seems completely reasonable that that is what's going on with this one.

My daughter was about 17 pounds at a year, didn't hit 20 pounds until over 2 years. She was fine, she is fine, she's just small! Even now at 5 years old, she is only like 35 pounds. Some people are just smaller than others! We can't all be "average".
Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
Wholemom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Your son sounds perfectly fine. There is absolutely no need to give formula. If you are concerned just give nutrient rich fattier/higher calorie foods.
Yes I suggest dark meat chicken if your family isn't vegetarian.
Wholemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
Sarah Loves Charis
Registered Users

Breast milk is best. Your son sounds perfectly fine, some babies are just smaller than others. As long as your son is growing and not loosing weight, I'd stick to what you're doing. If your doctor is pushing it just to put more fat on him {because it seems in your post that he's fine}, I'd get another doctor.
Sarah Loves Charis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
Funnyfarmmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much all you wonderful encouraging mama's I will definitely start adding in some foods that might aid him in "fattening up" Yea the Doc said he has been consistent in his growth since he's been born and not dropped or lost weight at any point, just not as "big" as he wants him

DH and I have decided that we aren't comfortable putting him on formula so we are going to go with our gut and find a new Dr
Old 02-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #20
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I can't really relate, because my baby was giant (and still is!), but seriously that is the stupidest suggestion ever.
Formula is inferior nutrition; it's like telling a parent to give their kids fast food to beef them up instead of making them a home-cooked meal. And I don't say that to offend any formula-feeding moms; it's just true when you consider that formula is a processed, sterile food (like most fast food), and breastmilk is full of beneficial bacteria and the perfect proteins, fats, and nutrients that a baby needs. That's just the way it is.
You can try adding more healthy fats to his diet, though, and to yours. It might help the nutritional content of your milk. I started giving Claire a dose of fermented cod liver oil at that age, and she started to get cheese and avocado. If you have access to raw or low-temp pasteurized cream, that would be a good supplement, also. Cooking with coconut oil and milk has also been shown in studies to have a very benefical impact on breastmilk composition. Oh, and egg yolk (preferrably local and free-range!) is great to add to things for babies! It's very easy to digest, full of essential nutrients, and has a fair amount of calories. You can mix it with oatmeal, cream, smoothies...etc. Or, he might just like it the way it is. Claire loves her runny yolks!

ETA- I have a friend who has a child that is 9 months older than Claire- so she's getting close to 3, and Claire just turned 2. She was tiny at birth and has always been tiny. Claire tries to hug her but just ends up pushing her around half of the time... I can pass Claire's clothes to her; that's how big a difference there is! Oh, and she was formula-fed. So what advice would this doctor give to that mom?!

Last edited by songbird516; 02-24-2012 at 10:26 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote