Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Multiple Homebirths then switch to Hospital?

Anyone here had multiple homebirths and then switched to the Hospital. Just found out I am pregnant with #7. My first was born in the hospital but the next 5 were born at home. I am seriously considering a hospital birth specifically for an epidural.

I just don't want to do a natural birth again. My labors are sooo long and I am just done. Anyone else have this experience. I am really stressed over this decision. I have loved most of my homebirths but my last 2 just were soo long.

I just feel a little like I have been there done that and got the trophy but why not get pain relief. I am of course terrified I am making the wrong decision but I am only 7 weeks so I have time to get used to the idea one way or the other.

I do have an appointment with the local homebirth midwife so I am keeping my options open at this point.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Advertisement

spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
McMandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Multiple Homebirths then switch to Hospital?

I'm sorry your labors are long and exhausting, mama! Why don't you talk things over with the midwife... that would probably be helpful. My last homebirth was.... not something I care to reminisce about, and if I based it on that, I'd probably feel similar!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! just so you have an idea
#1 hospital induction, epidural 8 hour labor
#2 breech homebirth 15 hour labor
#3 post dates home waterbirth 9lbs 12 hour labor
#4 homebirth 15 hour labor
#5 homebirth 30 hour labor
#6 Home water birth 18 hour labor (12 hours from 5cm-delivery)

I just feel like it is not fair that as a momma of many I have such long labors. I think the problem is that I have dysfunctional labors. I often wonder if an epidural would have sped up the process esp in my last 2. I know I have a lot of fear over it being so long which just makes it longer
Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The fear of pain can be a big thing. I am in the same boat as you. I'm actually debating a few things, cuz between the pain, distance to the hospital, and a few other fears I'm just on the fence. Just make the decision that can help you to relax and enjoy your pregnancy. I'm due in like 6 weeks now and I'm STILL on the fence. You have time if you need to think about it.

I get horrific back labor, and with my last DS I had 60 hour of labor to go from 1cm to only 4cm then I went from 4cm to pushing in like 5 hours. :wacko: So 65 hours total of labor, and it wasn't just playful labor...it was contractions every 5 minutes or so all night long and in the day they would space out to 6-8 minutes apart. It was so long and painful that by the time I was pushing I was tired, sore all over, and just wanting to quit. He was born naturally in a birthing tub, but honestly I am also a little fearful of labor this time around. My labors go fast once I really get going...after 4-5cms, but I had a LONG labor which was excruciating before I hit that point last time. It is my greatest fear right now, cuz I barely got myself to push DS out after that long labor, and honestly if it'd taken any longer to push him out I might have said no more children period.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

I had a 30hr. back labor/4-1/2 hrs of pushing-homebirth with my first son... who ended up being a shoulder dystocia. The midwife was able to save his life, but he suffers a severe birth injury. Surgeries, lifelong therapies, etc... sigh. Anyway, my last 3 births have been at a hospital... c-sections! Talk about two different worlds!!!

One thing I learned is that the birth of your child is going to be special no matter WHERE you give, HOW you give, WHAT number it is and so on. I hate having to have c-sections, but such is life sometimes. I am thankful that it opened my eyes to the fact that a birth experience can be special and touching even if it's not you expect it to be. AND even if you do everything right, sometimes nature is screwy and things can go wrong. So even if you are worried that an epi will hurt your labor (in the back of your mind) remember that not getting an epi might also hurt your labor... who's to say that the dysfunctional labor/fear/etc isn't making labor more slow... maybe an epi is right for you this time. Go with your gut because you need to be at peace with your decision.

Homebirths can be great, but hospital births can be great too! Is having an epi a different experience than not having one? Of course it is (you know that!)... is one more special than the other? That is all perspective and the only person who's opinion matters is your own! I cherish my labor (as crazy and painful and long as it was) because it's the only one I'll have. I cherish all my births in different ways though too. I cherish my first because we saw a miracle from God when my son was revived. I cherish my last three births because my last three kiddos were born healthy and full of life.

Good luck to you and you'll have to keep us uptodate on your journey!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not a mom of many but you might want to ask the midwife If she knows how to/can do a cervical block. Not quite the same as an epidural but does provide some relief. I don't have any personal experience though, this will be my first homebirth and I don't plan on getting a block but it's nice to know I have the option.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
So even if you are worried that an epi will hurt your labor (in the back of your mind) remember that not getting an epi might also hurt your labor... who's to say that the dysfunctional labor/fear/etc isn't making labor more slow... maybe an epi is right for you this time. Go with your gut because you need to be at peace with your decision.
Thanks! I needed to hear that. I did have an epi with my 1st and I said I would NEVER have another hospital birth but I think that was mostly due to the lack of respect I felt during labor. I was actually threatened with a C/S if I didn't deliver by 5pm because the MD wanted to go home. It was a teaching hospital too.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelgurl137 View Post
The fear of pain can be a big thing. I am in the same boat as you. I'm actually debating a few things, cuz between the pain, distance to the hospital, and a few other fears I'm just on the fence. Just make the decision that can help you to relax and enjoy your pregnancy. I'm due in like 6 weeks now and I'm STILL on the fence. You have time if you need to think about it.

I get horrific back labor, and with my last DS I had 60 hour of labor to go from 1cm to only 4cm then I went from 4cm to pushing in like 5 hours. :wacko: So 65 hours total of labor, and it wasn't just playful labor...it was contractions every 5 minutes or so all night long and in the day they would space out to 6-8 minutes apart. It was so long and painful that by the time I was pushing I was tired, sore all over, and just wanting to quit. He was born naturally in a birthing tub, but honestly I am also a little fearful of labor this time around. My labors go fast once I really get going...after 4-5cms, but I had a LONG labor which was excruciating before I hit that point last time. It is my greatest fear right now, cuz I barely got myself to push DS out after that long labor, and honestly if it'd taken any longer to push him out I might have said no more children period.
I understand the not playing labor. That has been all my labors. Once I start contracting it's every 5 mins non stop and I have to stop and think through every contraction. No sleep! Yuck!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelgurl137 View Post

I understand the not playing labor. That has been all my labors. Once I start contracting it's every 5 mins non stop and I have to stop and think through every contraction. No sleep! Yuck!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

How is your diet while pregnant? Try a mama's red raspberry brew from here

www.bulkherbstore.com

I try to drink 1 cup day in the 1st trimester, 2 in the 2nd and 1 quart the 3rd. I add comfrey in it to give me more calcium and aid in tissue repair for those peri areas. I also take Juice plus instead of synthetic vitamins and liquid chlorophyll the last 8 weeks. I try to drink green smoothies with flax seeds and milk thistle seeds added whenever I can.

I have had 8 babies and for the last four I tried to use the above in my daily diet as mentioned and this has helped trememdously. I also homebirth but without a midwife- just me and husband. For 2 births a friend came to help,too.

Honestly, I think UC takes away the most difficult part for me, b/c there is no one telling me how to do anything, or how far dialated I am etc.

I just concentrate on relaxing and letting my body do what it has to do. I figure out on my own which position is most comfortable. I had one 22 hour labor at home and a midwife trying to tell me how "far" along I was would have drove me nuts.
I also had a 15 min. labor at home,too! And the other two were about 10-13 hours long.

You never know what your gonna get. Just because your other were long wont mean this one will be too.

Also, my 15 min. labor baby I had chiroprator adjustments during the last trimester...I think that might have helped the baby line up better.