Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Registered Users
Help! Thrush treatments

So about 2 weeks ago I went to the doctor because I was sick. Dr looked at my throat and said you have a throat infection, take these antibiotics... After taking the antibiotics I started to notice my nipples were dry and flaking. It was a bit painful to nurse as well. I tried putting on coconut oil to see if it would help. It made some difference. But then I finally I figured out that it was thrush (took awhile because I've never had it before). So then I started the Grapefruit Seed Extract that was recommended by DR Jay Gordon (on his site). I did it for a day but then my nipples felt much worse the next day. I think it was irritating the skin and making it even dryer. So now it's been another 2 days of just using coconut oil and trying to just air dry and get sunlight on the problem, as well as probiotics. It seems to have helped. My daughter is showing no obvious signs of thrush but I want to treat her anyway but haven't tried yet. well I did, once, and it didnt go over very well

I'm wondering if I need to just lessen the dosage of GSE? or because it seems to be getting better with coconut oil should I stick with that? I did read that some people have used it to treat thrush... Should I wash with vinegar? white or apple cider?

I've thought about getting the Gentian Violet but also read that it has mercury in it. Any truth to that? I also read that a study showed that it could lead to mouth cancer...

looking for any advice

Mommy to DS (02/07) and DD (12/09)

Check out my etsy shop nerdsicles for tooth fairy pillows, aprons and magnets. For 15% off use coupon code: DSWAPPER

Last edited by x403momx; 02-22-2012 at 10:14 PM.
x403momx is offline   Reply With Quote