Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
SDmommyOf5
Registered Users
seller

Alternative Overnight Dipe

Hi all!

We've been having ammonia issues (especially for nighttime dipes) and DS has had a nagging (not full blown) rash on the top of his private parts (none on his bum). His dipes has a bad ammonia smell in the morning when getting up. Gonna strip and try Tide for the next wash. I'm also looking into changing his overnight dipes for something else. Currently he's using a Thirsties fitted with a hemp or bamboo doubler, covered with fleece shorties or longies. I want something similar to a sposie in ways that the moisture wicks away from his skin and is breathable. Do you think I should try a different doubler? Or change the whole dipe itself? I need help with this... don't want DS skin to get angry red What overnight dipe is working for you at the moment?

Btw, I just bought Flip covers and gCloth inserts so lmk if any of these would work for nights...

TIA!!!

Advertisement

SDmommyOf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
SDmommyOf5
Registered Users
seller

Re: Alternative Overnight Dipe

Anyone? I need help!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Diaper Safari
Registered Users

You may want to try something with natural fibers -- also is his diaper totally soaked every morning? It could be that there just isn't enough absorbency to pull that moisture away from his skin all night.
Diaper Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you think it is that he needs to feel dry, you could just try a fleece liner inside what you already use to give him that dry feeling. We use only natural fibers and no liner at all, but I know some people what that dry feeling. Our night time solution is a bamboo fleece flat with either a preemie or newborn prefold folded up as a doubler inside. We either use a fleece soaker or blueberry coverall as a cover.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah you can just buy or make fleece liners and lay them in the diaper. It will feel dry to your LO.

Sent from my LG Ally using DS Forum
Old 02-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
SDmommyOf5
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper Safari View Post
You may want to try something with natural fibers -- also is his diaper totally soaked every morning? It could be that there just isn't enough absorbency to pull that moisture away from his skin all night.
yes, he's soaked majority the time. Natural fibers --- which ones would you recommend?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
yellowdog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use Pianissimo or Bumstoppers fitteds overnight with a fleece liner for the stay dry feeling. DS sleeps around 12 hours per night. No leaks, no stink issues.

It's likely the MF in the Thirsties as far as where your stink is coming from. The fitteds I use are more expensive but you can also look at Mother-ease Sandys. You'll basically want a fitted that doesn't have MF in it.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
For overnight dd can get by with 2 thirsties hemp/cotton inserts in a pocket or flip cover with fleece liner. Or we use an sbish snapless fitted under wool.

Apologizing in advance for iPhone typos/autocorrect
Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use MF inserts right now (because it's all I have) and I was having a few stink issues, but I found that if I rinsed the night ones (unless it was wash day) I did not have stink issues.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Diaper Safari
Registered Users

If he's totally soaked, you might want to try either a hemp or bamboo fitted diaper with some fleece as a liner to keep his skin feeling dry. More absorbency + stay-dry liner will probably help!

You may also want to try a wool cover, as they can be more breathable for overnights (helps with the ammonia in my experience!)
Diaper Safari is offline   Reply With Quote