Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
She's not gaining :(

My baby girl is almost 3 weeks old. We had a rocky start to breastfeeding, but it has been going much better. I didn't have much of a supply, but with the help of fenugreek, lots of fluids and lactation cookies, it's finally up. She was a preemie, but she is latching on good now (or so I thought, my nipples are starting to crack ) I took her to the ped's office yesterday, and the provider we saw is a LC as well, so she discussed everything with me. Here's her weights...

Birthweight - 7lbs 3oz
Discharge (24hrs) - 6lbs 12oz
3 day weight (jaundice) - 6lbs 5oz
2 week weight - 6lbs 5oz
2 weeks 5 days - 6lbs 2oz

So she actually lost some again

I supplemented with formula last night, but she doesn't even take hardly any of it anyway. So I know she's getting milk. She has the milk mouth after she pops off to prove it. The provider yesterday said she figures by next week she will have started gaining. We have an appointment to check things again. I'm just wondering what I can do in the meantime to maybe help her along? Any advice is really appreciated. I am going to get ahold of a local LC today to hopefully come by and check everything during a nursing session, just in case I'm missing something.

Advertisement

bccc624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Why do you think you have a low supply? Are you sure she is transferring milk well? If it is truely a supply problem then domperidone may be helpful.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
meldo
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you get to see a LC ask if they can do a before and after nursing weigh-in. The scales are so sensitive they can tell how much milk baby is taking in. Just make sure you bring a hungry baby to the appt. Dd2 and I had a rough start too since she was tongue tied. Have you asked about that, BTW? I ended up supplementing with formula and pumping with a hospital grade pump after every nursing to get my supply up. After a week or so I was able to swap out the formula with BM and we got her tongue clipped so that helped a lot. Try not to get down. You're doing a great job and you'll figure out what the problem is soon.

I'm typing on my iPhone, sorry.
Most likely nak!
meldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Shaylee
Registered Users

Re: She's not gaining :(

My preemie was released on day 8 weighing 4lb 11oz
Next day Pedi appt. baseline 4 lb 12 oz (different scale from NICU)

One week later..................4 lb 14 oz : - (

One week later (3 weeks 2 days old)5 lb 6 oz : - )

He is four weeks old this week and somtimes he gets so much milk it chokes him. The week that he gained 8 oz. I was pumping one feed (about 2 oz) and he was getting one 2 oz ready feed formula from Dad.

We have not done any formula since week 3 and I feel confident that my supply has increased to meet his needs.

I do use the Mother's Milk Tea once or twice a day......mainly because I like it. Hang in there. But please keep us posted or PM me anytime since we are basically going through the same thing.

Last edited by Shaylee; 02-23-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Shaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: She's not gaining :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Why do you think you have a low supply? Are you sure she is transferring milk well? If it is truely a supply problem then domperidone may be helpful.
I'm fairly confident it was low. I would nurse her for an extended period of time, and she would never get full. But now she seems satisfied after the finishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldo View Post
If you get to see a LC ask if they can do a before and after nursing weigh-in. The scales are so sensitive they can tell how much milk baby is taking in. Just make sure you bring a hungry baby to the appt. Dd2 and I had a rough start too since she was tongue tied. Have you asked about that, BTW? I ended up supplementing with formula and pumping with a hospital grade pump after every nursing to get my supply up. After a week or so I was able to swap out the formula with BM and we got her tongue clipped so that helped a lot. Try not to get down. You're doing a great job and you'll figure out what the problem is soon.

I'm typing on my iPhone, sorry.
The local LC is through the WIC office, and they can come to my house to do before/after weights actually. Just not sure how I can arrange it to be sure she will be hungry as it's pretty unpredictable right now. I will mention the tongue tie to her pediatrician when we go next week, I don't know if they looked at that when we went for her 2wk check or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaylee View Post
My preemie was released on day 8 weighing 4lb 11oz
Next day Pedi appt. baseline 4 lb 12 oz (different scale from NICU)

One week later..................4 lb 14 oz : - (

One week later (3 weeks 2 days old)5 lb 6 oz : - )

He is four weeks old this week and somtimes he gets so much milk it chokes him. The week that he gained 8 oz. I was pumping one feed (about 2 oz) and he was getting one 2 oz ready feed formula from Dad.

We have not done any formula since week 3 and I feel confident that my supply has increased to meet his needs.

I do use the Mother's Milk Tea once or twice a day......mainly because I like it. Hang in there. But please keep us posted or PM me anytime since we are basically going through the same thing.
I tried the Tea, and I can't drink it. But now I'm taking the Fenugreek, and that seems to be helping me a lot. I got a bottle from the local Health Food store. I'm just hoping for a gain of at least something by her next check. I know her peds aren't worried now, but I'm assuming if she doesn't gain by then they will be.

Thanks for all the advice ladies, I really do appreciate it.

bccc624 is offline   Reply With Quote