Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
ardeur
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Shower gifts on a budget

I'll be attending a shower soon. The gifts on her registry are WAAAAAY out of our budget. She DID make a note saying that she would love any used baby clothes donations and I feel like that is something I can do. We don't have any children of our own yet, so we don't have any used baby clothes of our own to gift. Would it be a bad idea for any reason to purchase a used baby clothes lot on ebay? I'd be washing them and making sure they don't have any stains or damage.

What do you think?

ETA: What would you do if the gifts on the registry aren't in your budget? What's the acceptable thing to do?

Advertisement

Last edited by ardeur; 06-24-2013 at 05:14 PM.
ardeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
That's interesting. Generally people open to used gifts keep the registry practical and inexpensive.

I would probably find a local second hand store and pick up some good quality used clothing
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd buy a clothes lot or find some at a thrift store and make a nice basket out of it. I'd fill in with baby essentials if you can--nail clippers, mittens, baby wash, baby wash cloths, etc. It could be very pretty if you present it well.

ETA: If you are crafty, these clothes bouquets are adorable! http://www.hellobee.com/2012/03/30/d...thing-bouquet/

Last edited by MadeofStarStuff; 06-24-2013 at 05:41 PM.
MadeofStarStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Tida
Registered Users
seller

Re: Shower gifts on a budget

I think more than half of the people at my shower bought things that weren't on my registry. I was just happy that people came to celebrate with me and bought me things that they thought I could use. Many of them told me why they bought it and how they found it helpful with their own children. Most just bought cute outfits. I think it would be totally fine to buy new clothes or wash cloths or towels or something fun and funky that is in your budget. You can always include a gift receipt if you feel like it, so they can return it if they already have it or don't need it.
Tida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would suggest buying clothes in size 9 months or even 12 month, 18 months. At showers people generally love to buy a million tiny baby newborn outfits and you go through those quickly. It was nice to have some clothes ready for when my DD grew out of the smaller sizes.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd be fine with gifts from a second hand store - there are lots of great ones available these days, and many will accept returns, so the mama can exchange stuff as needed. If you have a Once Upon a Child near you, they've usually got some nice second hand stuff.

Other options - as the previous posters suggested, just get something you CAN afford, and maybe include the gift receipt.
If you sew, making little hooded baby towels is pretty simple and practical and nice. My sister and I made a bunch for her girls once, and they were easy to make and the girls loved them. Here's the basic idea:
http://thecottagehome.blogspot.ca/20...orial.html?m=1
Or maybe go in with another friend on a larger item?
Or just get a gift certificate to one of the stores on her registry?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
mrsc968
Registered Users
seller

I would probably buy something within my budget that I thought was useful (granted I do have a child so I have some experience with different products) and provide a gift receipt.

Also, could you find one of the less expensive items on Amazon or new on EBay to save? I've ordered items for friends off Amazon where it is less expensive and called the original store and told them I bought the item and forgot to have the cashier ring in the registry #. This way she won't get a duplicate but I save.

Do you know anyone else going that you could go in on a gift with? I've done that too.
mrsc968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyjk View Post
I would suggest buying clothes in size 9 months or even 12 month, 18 months. At showers people generally love to buy a million tiny baby newborn outfits and you go through those quickly. It was nice to have some clothes ready for when my DD grew out of the smaller sizes.
this is EXCELLENT advice
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
Formerly: Coastiefam415
seller
seller

I usually always make some homemade. My most recent shower was a huge hit because I happened to have some fabric that matched an item on her registry! I agree with the PPs who said to check out a local thrift store or consignment shop for clothes. You'll be able to tell the condition much better that way than on eBay
Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I do a gift basket. Lately it's been a few swaddle blankets, bibs, bamboo booties and mittens, a bamboo hat, teething ring and toy.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote