Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #21
kimiirenee
Registered Users

I HAVE to take a breastfeeding class in order to get a free pump from WIC.

At Leviandgarettsmom,
We should pm so we can see if we have anything the same, symptom wise lol.

And about the moodiness and prozac, I'll just have to practice discipline and holding my tongue..

What is LLL?

I wont buy a carseat used that's for sure. But consignment shops, Craigslist, and other moms will save my life lol. And as far as cribs go, if I can civilly speak with my dad, I can get MY crib but in the beginning, we will share a bed.

Advertisement

kimiirenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #22
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

Re: I'm 17, due 10/26, and it's my first.

LLL = La Leche League = great resource for breastfeeding. I used to know a mom who was a WIC breastfeeding consultant and she was awesome, so hopefully they can help you out. And yes, carseats shouldn't be used either since they expire quickly. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenashine
Lol! We are all so different. I'm a baby minimalist, like one mom said buy the crib new... I say skip the crib and sleep with your baby. haha! Honestly, I have never ever used a crib. Each to their own.
HOWEVER, the one thing I would absolutely recommend splurging on is a good car seat. And I would say DO NOT buy used. You never know what's happened to it if it's used! And it's just easier to say on top of safety recalls if you buy new.
Really do your homework on this one. It's important.

ETA: I just figured out that she said NOT to buy used... I really need to brush up on my reading skills.
You're awesome!!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen
LLL = La Leche League = great resource for breastfeeding. I used to know a mom who was a WIC breastfeeding consultant and she was awesome, so hopefully they can help you out. And yes, carseats shouldn't be used either since they expire quickly. Good luck!
Here's the intl site: http://www.llli.org/ you can look through there for info and find a local chapter. They were a big help with my first.

In case you aren't hearing it enough IRL, Congrats! YAY! You're gonna be a mommy
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
Deanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

About the Prozac and stuff... If you take a multi-faceted approach, you might not HAVE to bite your tongue: There is a good chance that all that negative stuff inside of your head will go away or at least become completely manageable. I am so sorry for being on a soap box about this, it's just that I've been there and had anyone told me what a difference exercise would make I would never have believed them. PM me if you want to talk about this more. I'll shut up now!

Now that I have lectured you, I have more advice: People LOOOOOOVE to give free advice and lecture new moms, and it can be annoying. There's seems to be a golden standard that different people have that moms must live up to in order to be a "good" mom. For some, you have to breast feed to be a good mom, for others you have to have your child rear-facing until they are 4, others will say you have to give birth at a hospital w/ an OB, others will say you have to have a home birth in a water tub. Just do your research and make the decision that's best for you and let annoying unsolicited advice and judgement roll off your shoulders.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
Keme
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanie View Post

Now that I have lectured you, I have more advice: People LOOOOOOVE to give free advice and lecture new moms, and it can be annoying. There's seems to be a golden standard that different people have that moms must live up to in order to be a "good" mom. For some, you have to breast feed to be a good mom, for others you have to have your child rear-facing until they are 4, others will say you have to give birth at a hospital w/ an OB, others will say you have to have a home birth in a water tub. Just do your research and make the decision that's best for you and let annoying unsolicited advice and judgement roll off your shoulders.
LOVE this advice- the mothering world is so full of judgement sometimes, it's important to do your own research and then follow your own heart.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #27
kimiirenee
Registered Users

To leviandgaretts mom, id pm you back but I can't pm until i post six times so here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviandgarettsmom
Hey Kimberly! Just thought I'd send you a PM to introduce myself. My name is Deanna & this is #3 for me. My DD, Garett is the same age as you & my DS, Levi is 19 months. So far the only thing going on with me is my boobs are super sore...so much so that I would love to remove them temporarily. That's how I knew I was pregnant. I actually found out 4 days before I missed my period with DS & this one. I probably won't start having any morning sickness for a few more weeks, though I never get it really bad. With DS I would start getting nauseous @ 5:00 everyday. It was such a joy to drive home from work everyday trying not to throw up. So how are you feeling? When did you find out you were pregnant?
I'm really sorry about your dad. I'm sure it's difficult for him as we always want better for our kids. You will soon understand that concept, I promise. I will be praying for you & your baby, and most especially your dad. Maybe after he's had some time to get used to it he will come around & be more supportive. And if you ever need someone to talk to or have any questions don't hesitate to contact me...I'm here for you!

Deanna
He's hated me for awhile. Supposedly I'm an evil influence. my boobs hurt really freaking bad lol and I'm cramping as well. I get full faster when I eat. I took three tests that were negative before I took one the morning after my period was to come and it was positive.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #28
kimiirenee
Registered Users

Oops sorry I didn't mean to quote you. I'm limited on what I can do on mobile. I don't even have internet at home right now lol
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 PM   #29
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Welcome Kim. You've been given amazing advice, so I will only add one thing. You CAN parent on the cheap. LOL! I personally think its actually easy. My DH and I have cut out a lot so that I can stay home with the kids, on his income alone. We rarely buy our kids clothes. When I had Logan (my first), I felt kinda weird at first, but I put my pride aside and told other mom's at church that if they were ever going to take a load to the goodwill, I'd save them the trip. They actually loved that idea. I soon became known for loving hand me downs and 3 kids later, I honestly rarely buy clothes. AND, kids need a lot less clothes than our society thinks they should have. Just saying. BUT, I'll add that a newbie goes through lots of clothes. I consign all our old stuff, unloved toys, unread books, etc, and that gives me credit to fill in the gaps (though I could also choose to take a check if I wanted to). I nursed all my kids for many reasons, BUT, its hard to argue with free! If your Dad won't give you your crib, a pack n play works just fine. And its less bulky. None of my kids reached the age of 2 still in a crib, so to me, its a lot of money for such a short time. We scored a hand me down crib with our first. CLOTH SAVES MONEY!!! Some people don't save money on cloth, b/c it can be addicting. But, if you do your research, you CAN save TONS! I make my own baby food which my sister thinks sounds glamorous, but let me tell you, it also saves a ton and if you know how to steam vegies and make a smoothie, you're ready to make baby food!
I could go on and on about raising kids on the cheap, but I don't want to be annoying. We all do what we have to do to make the best lives for our kids with what we have, and you will find what works best for you. I'm so glad you found this board. Its an amazing wealth of information. How did you find it? Do you think you will cloth diaper? Again, welcome!

Oh, and Eileen, beautifully put Mama! Amen!
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #30
sheenashine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiirenee View Post
To leviandgaretts mom, id pm you back but I can't pm until i post six times so here.

He's hated me for awhile. Supposedly I'm an evil influence. my boobs hurt really freaking bad lol and I'm cramping as well. I get full faster when I eat. I took three tests that were negative before I took one the morning after my period was to come and it was positive.
Hopefully you don't think I'm being rude, I'm not judging... but is this a planned pregnancy?

Also, can I ask how you found diaperswappers? I think it's super cool that you picked this website out of all of them... I'm just curious again.

I love love love what Jenny wrote. It's not even necessarily about saving money- it's saving the Earth and being healthy Making your own baby food is a lot better than even most organic jared foods.
When I had my first I was so scared and insecure about being a teen mom that I only dressed her in name brand clothes The ironic part is that now that I can actually afford to do that I wouldn't dream of it, in fact I play a little game with myself each season to see how few items I can buy new.

Last edited by sheenashine; 02-24-2012 at 11:59 PM.
sheenashine is offline   Reply With Quote