Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

Newborn diaper making

I have a couple of questions about making newborn diapers (or any fitted diaper for that matter) -

I want to make some fitteds - starting with nb and smalls - how many layers should I make them?

I have CV, OBV, OBF and flannel to make these with.

The first one I want ot make is going to be CV outer and inner but not sure if I should but a OBF in the middle - I don't want ot use my OBV for just absorbancy layer.

Also I want them to be snap diapers - if I am just making my own diapers do you think the pliers will work fine or should I get the press??

Thanks

Advertisement

mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Ladyflower
Registered Users

Re: Newborn diaper making

I would make the diaper from 2 layers of CV or OBV and make a snap in or lay in soaker. I would just use the OBF for the soaker, topped with a layer of CV or OBV to match.
Ladyflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

I make mine three layers, I do use BF for the middle layer (I don't need to reinforce snaps that way). I use a press as we cannot buy pliers here and I am very very happy with it.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've never had any experience with those fabrics so can't address that but I have pliers and have made lots of snapped diapers. My hands get sore after a couple of diapers (I do 2 rows all the way across so a total of like 16 snaps per diaper) but I just take a break and come back to it. Totally not worth the cost IMO for a press. BUT if you have weak hands or wrist probs then def go for the press!
~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!
mercyscreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am also making nb/small diapers and was wondering the same thing!

So if I am making flannel inner and outer on fitteds, would one thinnish layer of terry be enough on the inside of nb size? What about smalls?

OP and others: what patterns are you using? I am trying the Darling Diapers and they seem good, but fairly big for a nb size. I'm thinking of making them pinnable or in a snug cover until baby grows into them, then adding snaps. They will need to be folded down surely for the first month or so.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was going to be trying the darling diaper pattern as well but i am looking for them to be a bit larger in size so that would actually work for me (I have a bunch of really little AIO's).

I am thinking that I am going to do 2 layers of either CV with a sewn in soaker of Bamboo fleece or I'm going to do a layer of BV and a knit outer but with lay in soakers of bv and bf. Then my soakers can just be used wherever.
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
RoccerMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Boo'sMama
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will be starting my newb stash soon and will be doing nb and smalls knit or cv outer, hidden layer of obf and inner cv. Then a snap in soaker with an extra couple of layers of bf. I use pliers for the diapers I make ds and they work fine but my hands get tired after a while too.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Kenshin
Registered Users
Formerly: jes**e
seller
seller

I was also wondering how many layers if I wanted to use flannel inner/outer and BF as a soaker or hidden layer. Lots of great info in this thread!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

The dd pattern comes in 2 sizes, the smaller one (red I think?) fit my 7lb 4oz ds from birth to about... 8wks/13lbs. The larger of the two is more like a small and fit ds when he began wearing small at abt 12/13lbs. You won't need the snap down of that size unless you anticipate your baby will be a 10-11lb newborn.

I made my fitteds 3 layers for the body outer-middle absorbent layer-inner layer next to baby. Then I had petal soakers with 3 layers each, so 6 layers total in the soaker, 9 total for the whole diaper. Sometimes I thought I could still have used a doubler. I was shocked how much a newb could pee!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

I made the larger DD nb for both my 8lb11oz nb and my 7lb11oz nb and they fit from birth. I find DDU a good nb size, not too big or too small. Fattycakes is a big nb, they did not fit either at birth, but were great from about 3 weeks old until 3-4 months old when we switched to mediums.
For my flannel ones I used 2 layer of flannel with one layer of something absorbant in the middle, like Bamboo fleece or terry or sherpa. I mnke mine staydry. So I do 2 outer layers of flannel, 1 hidden absorbent layer and 1 layer of microfleece (which goes against baby).
I also did lay in soakers.