Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
What do moms of many do for vacations

Am expecting number 4 this summer and want more but DH has an issue with not being able to give our kids experiences because it will cost a lot more with more kids. We have done Hawaii, Disneyland (but lived in San Diego so we drove), we have driven up to Washington to visit family. I just want to know how family's with many do trips, what is cost affective and do you find that you don't fit in hotels in your price range. We are a single income military family.

Melissa my newbie Paxton Richard. Marine wife to John SAHM to 4 little turkeys
Mamata3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
We never fly, always drive. Search for deals and use discount sites or groupons when available.

We do not do places like Disney. We usually look for places that have a lot of outdoor fun, like rivers and lakes, nature trails, maybe a working ranch, etc. Kids love the openness of places, and the fresh air. These places are usually less crazy-busy!

We find places that have kitchens or kitchenettes to stay in and bring food or do a little grocery shopping when we get there.

If there are museums in the area, we check them out. Since we homeschool, we like our vacations to have an educational aspect.

Oh, and we typically stay in our state but we live in Texas, so that's easy to do!
Mama to 5 littles and 1 on the way (Jan 2014) married to my Cajun honey and building a tiny house of our very own out in the Texas country.

Last edited by McMandy; 02-24-2012 at 06:53 AM.
McMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
My Mood:
Re: What do moms of many do for vacations

We just deal shop and make sure we set aside a vacation fund from our income tax return each year.
We go to Great Wolf Lodge (I take all of our food and we eat in the room- meaning I feed 7/8 with a dorm fridge and tiny microwave) every year for my 2 oldest boys birthdays and we go to Daytona every year. We rent a house for a week in Daytona and it has a full kitchen so I prepare all of our meals. We have taken the kids to Disney World but it cost about $400 for one day!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

what's a vacation?
Samantha lovin my drummer Jimmy, SAHM to Loghan 15 , Finn 7, Lily 6 , and Rowan 4 Landon, 9-25-04
come swag with me or shop Zulily or Totsy
irishmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Registered Users

Camping, but that's not really much of a vacation for me!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

We travel at off times. I've never had a problem taking the kids out of school as they are good students. We also take mini vacations...
Mama to DD 10, DD 8, DS 7, DS 5, and identical twin almost 1 year old girls born at 26 1/2 weeks and doing super! Thanking God every day for our blessings!!!
watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

I come from a family with 4 kids... we always did camping. But we would go to places that had lots of activities. Free/ really cheap tourist attractions, pool/lakes, hiking/biking trails, etc. Those camping trips are some of my most favorite memories from childhood. A vacation is as fun as you make it. KOAs are great places for camping.
Elise wife to DH since 6/13/09 and SAHM to DD1 (8/31/2010) and DD2 (10/9/2012) and praying for more.
GooseBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:
We are a family of 10. We are actually leaving in about 12 hours for our 1st family trip to WDW... The biggest expense was the tickets. We are driving down. We actually found a 4 bed 3 bath villa to rent on thanks to mamas here on ds that recommended that site it has amazing amenities (heated pool, game room, double master suites) and was cheaper than a cheap motel!!! We are going to do all of our eating at the house as it has a full kitchen. I pre-bought our mickey ears hats & small souviners on ebay, saving hundreds! I paid for our villa in payments over several months so it didn't hit us in one chunk. Overall, our family of ten will have 5 days in disney parks, 7 nights in a nice villa and our grand total after food & gas will be $3900.00 (tickets $2100, villa $690, $1000 or so in gas & food)
We are by no means a wealthy family and this is a rare treat. We probably won't take another vacation for the next 5 or so years... So this one will be worth it and I feel it is incredibly cheap considering my parents spent as much taking me & my brother to wdw 20 years ago!

ETA: we are also a single income family (very low end of middle class income)

Shanna. Sent via android
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!

Last edited by shanree; 02-24-2012 at 03:32 PM.
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Registered Users
My Mood:
We get either connecting rooms or a 2 bed suite. I'm not going on vacation to cook so we eat out the whole trip. Disney is great because we get the dining plan. Cruises are great because all meals are included.

Sent from my iPhone
Shop Moms Milk Boutique for free shipping to the US. Use code MMB10 to get 10% off of your first order of $75 or more.
Come swag with me & earn gift cards or paypal!!
Rockinmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Registered Users

I'm from a family with 12-14 kids (we had foster siblings as well as biological). For vacation we would go camping at a lake 25 minutes away. My dad did carpentry work for the guy who owned it and so we got in there free. We LOVED going to the lake! Every other year or so we would drive 7 hours away to Nashville and along the way we'd stop at caves to explore and we'd stay with family once we got there. It was so fun.

Honestly, I think places like Disney World would have been too intimidating for us! We lived at the lake in the summer and looking back I think getting a bunch of lower key experiences frequently was pretty awesome.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote