Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
leanntoland
Registered Users

Every feeding is a struggle!

Seriously! We might have one good feeding every day. My son is one month old today and it seems every feeding is a struggle. Either he screams during or after. Sometimes both. He will pull himself. Away from my breast and then be mad and scream because he's not on. I've cut out milk, but not dairy altogether. His doctors don't think that I need cut out anything at all. We have been supplementing with formula too and he fusses the whole time then too. He clearly has pain with gas and bowel movements. I think his little tummy and digestive system just need time to grow. I'm really just venting, but has anyone had problems like this? How long does it take to outgrow this?

Advertisement

leanntoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Every feeding is a struggle!

Have you considered reflux?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had similar issues--I also had overactive letdown & oversupply, so he'd yell about that. I had to give him Mylicon drops & completely cut out dairy, and also walk with him while nursing many, many times. He outgrew it at about 14 weeks & we have had a great nursing relationship since. Hang in there--I know how frustrating it can be, but you can do it. Now that he is nearly 6 months old, I have been reintroducing dairy into my diet & so far, so good. It will get better!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds exactly like our battles with reflux. Both our girls had it as infants. We treated with Prevacid, and it was a miraculous difference. They usually outgrow it between 6 months and a year.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
leanntoland
Registered Users

We've thought of reflux but it doesn't seem like he's spitting up too much. Until these last couple of days. He also seems to swallow it when he spots up sometimes. Does cutting food out of your diet help reflux at all? I'm willing to try whatever will help him not be in pain.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Poppy never spit up and her reflux caused a hospital stay. She had a swallow study and barium swallow and they said it was some of the worst they ever saw but none ever came out of her mouth. I really would push to try try the reflux medication. Poppy was on both an acid reducer and a pump inhibator for many months. She is still on an acid reducer at 14mo.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
mommysoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS will be 4wks tomorrow and we struggle at feedings as well. I know I have overactive letdown so that not only causes him to pull off my breast and cry but after it causes him gas, fussiness and lots of spit-up. I notice it more so when I have spicy/flavorful foods so I am cutting them out. I considered cutting dairy as well but honestly like u I think it has more to do with an immature digestive system then any kind of allergy/sensitivity. We're seeing a new pediatrician next week and I am going to ask him about possible reflux and see what he thinks. I hate to see my little fella in distress
mommysoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
leanntoland
Registered Users

We are going to see his doctor tonight. Hopefully we can find something to help him. I will let you know if we come up with anything.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Something else that helped us immensely, especially while we were waiting to see the doctor and then waiting for the prevacid to work (it takes a couple weeks to reach full effect) was Mylanta Supreme. It's hard to find the Supreme one, but it's the only one that's okay for babies. You just give them 1 mil of it (just enough to coat the esophagus).
Old 02-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

We used Mylanta also, had forgotten about that!