Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
boogamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation knitting ? about overalls pattern

Hello! I'm hoping someone can help me with the buttonhole part on the straps of an overalls pattern:

This part: K1, make one row buttonhole using middle 5 stitches. When done, continue to knit to the end.

There's a tutorial online that I can follow, but I'm confused as to where I begin the buttonhole? Do I knit 2, and then use those 5 stitches to make a buttonhole, since that would make 2 stitches on either side of the buttonhole (in the exact middle)? Or, do I just knit 1 stitch, and then use the next 5 stitches to make the buttonhole? Something else?

TIA!!

Advertisement

boogamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
fallaway
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: knitting ? about overalls pattern

JG overalls, right? I didn't love the tutorial so followed the knittinghelp video for one-row buttonhole I actually found with a search of YouTube. And yes, to be centered, the buttonhole should be moved over 1 stitch from what the pattern says, at least using the knittinghelp method (nearly identical) and for the 2 sizes I have made.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
cmaniezzz
Registered Users
seller
seller

YOu knit 2 and the 5 stitches in the middle are for buttonholes.. Do you have your buttons already? Is it 1" size? Because I learnt the hardway, my customer bought a smaller buttons and I have the buttonholes are way too big and I have to undo them, and it's PITA, it's not like regular stitches that you can unravel it.

Knita's Knitting YYMN/MYMN custom
Like myFacebook page to win free YYMN
cmaniezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
fallaway
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's definitely best to buy buttons after the project is finished and blocked, regardless of what size buttons the pattern calls for.

However, if I buttonhole is too big, you can sew up the sides, or even do blanket stitch around the whole buttonhole, in matching or CC yarn.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
cmaniezzz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallaway View Post
It's definitely best to buy buttons after the project is finished and blocked, regardless of what size buttons the pattern calls for.

However, if I buttonhole is too big, you can sew up the sides, or even do blanket stitch around the whole buttonhole, in matching or CC yarn.
In my case, I really don't have any yarn left but yeah, buy buttons after you finish a project..

Old 02-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
fallaway
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Contrast blanket stitch is always nice too, even if you have plenty of matching yarn!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
boogamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, it's the JG pattern. Thank you both for your help! I will look for the buttonhole tutorial on knittinghelp. I do have buttons I would like to use, so I'll check the size, as I think they're 3/4". So, thanks for the info on that, as well. Thanks again!

Last edited by boogamama; 02-26-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
fallaway
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It must be somewhere on knittinghelp, but I found it right at the top of a YouTube search for " knitting one row buttonhole". The username is knittinghelp also .

I'm on my phone or I'd link you.

Last edited by fallaway; 02-26-2012 at 12:25 PM.
fallaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
boogamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallaway View Post
It must be somewhere on knittinghelp, but I found it right at the top of a YouTube search for " knitting one row buttonhole". The username is knittinghelp also .

I'm on my phone or I'd link you.
No problem, I appreciate your help. I found a tutorial on knittinghelp, but I'll go do a search on youtube. I seriously think the rest of this pattern will be a breeze compared to this buttonhole part.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
cmaniezzz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogamama View Post
No problem, I appreciate your help. I found a tutorial on knittinghelp, but I'll go do a search on youtube. I seriously think the rest of this pattern will be a breeze compared to this buttonhole part.
Yeah, the buttonhole is a new thing for me too ..