Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
wkocher19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
9 month old nursing question

My 9 month old has started to resist nursing and I'm worried she's not getting enough breast milk. We still nurse 3 times a day along with 3 meals and snacks. She's a great eater but since we've introduced solids she's been less interested in nursing. She fusses and constantly wants to sit up and only nurses for maybe 5 minutes total on each side. Her pedi said she should still be getting 20-30 oz of bm a day and I highly doubt she is. I offer her water at mealtime but she's not a big fan. I'm worried she's not getting enough liquids.

Any suggestions to help her nurse better? Or increase my supply? Or other liquids I can offer her besides water? I really don't want to use formula...

Also, pumping has become super difficult for me. My milk doesn't want to let down and sometimes I'll pump for 45 minutes to get about 2 oz.. I'm so frustrated. I used to love nursing! :/

Advertisement

wkocher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Is she distracted? Around that age I had to bring DD into bed to nurse or in a dark and quiet room.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
wkocher19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy
Is she distracted? Around that age I had to bring DD into bed to nurse or in a dark and quiet room.
Probably. I tried it once and it wasn't a great success but I should try that again.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
lovelymomma
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: 9 month old nursing question

not at all strange, my almost 9 month old does the same thing. i just succumbed to giving her watery barley or oatmeal cereal and making sure the baby food i gave her was kind of watery. if it was sweet potatoes or something starchy, i actually add a little water. nursing in the dark doesn't work for us either. mine refuses sippy cups and bottles all together. i still really don't know what to do. she eats well at night.

my conclusion: if your lo is happy, peeing ok, pooping ok and gaining weight. keep doing what you are doing and wait for her to not be happy. i wish i had an awesome answer to give you, but i don't
lovelymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
wkocher19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelymomma
not at all strange, my almost 9 month old does the same thing. i just succumbed to giving her watery barley or oatmeal cereal and making sure the baby food i gave her was kind of watery. if it was sweet potatoes or something starchy, i actually add a little water. nursing in the dark doesn't work for us either. mine refuses sippy cups and bottles all together. i still really don't know what to do. she eats well at night.

my conclusion: if your lo is happy, peeing ok, pooping ok and gaining weight. keep doing what you are doing and wait for her to not be happy. i wish i had an awesome answer to give you, but i don't
I'm glad to hear its not just me. I add water to her purees too. She is gaining weight and has lots of poopy diapers (not runny poo, but not hard either) but isn't a very heavy wetter. That's the main reason I'm concerned.

You said she wouldn't take sippy cups or bottles but have you tried just a small cup? Juliette will take a few sips from a cup where she puts her hands on it to guide but I'm holding onto it. Not a perfect solution but it works pretty well.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

My dd has this phase a few times in the last 2-3 months (and she's 10 mo now). It's horrible at the time bc I'm constantly worried about her not eating enough, but sure enough she grows out of it every time and comes back stronger and I've noticed sometimes she will nurse for like 5 min but empties me out completely bc she's more efficient, and the faster she nurses the faster she can get back to playing

If she is gaining weight and just looking happy and healthy and alert, give it a week or two and see how things progress. Also, try nursing side laying. It helps with the distractions

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
lovelymomma
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkocher19 View Post
You said she wouldn't take sippy cups or bottles but have you tried just a small cup? Juliette will take a few sips from a cup where she puts her hands on it to guide but I'm holding onto it. Not a perfect solution but it works pretty well.
i just posted in the same forum asking what to do> several people suggested using a shot glass. i will have to dig mine out. i'm not sure where it is. we will try that one tomorrow.
lovelymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
TwinMommaplus2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A plastic shot glass would be PERFECT!! haha! Can you imagine the thoughts coming from a standing by!? ha!
Motherhood is not a hobby, its a calling, you do not collect children because they are cuter than stamps, Its not something to do if you can squeeze the time in, its what god gave you time for. ~E. Anderson
TwinMommaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
wkocher19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelymomma

i just posted in the same forum asking what to do> several people suggested using a shot glass. i will have to dig mine out. i'm not sure where it is. we will try that one tomorrow.
I bought some little plastic juice cups from Wal Mart - 6 for $1!! - that work well. I don't actually own any shot glasses, lol..
Old 02-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #10
wkocher19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikhlas
My dd has this phase a few times in the last 2-3 months (and she's 10 mo now). It's horrible at the time bc I'm constantly worried about her not eating enough, but sure enough she grows out of it every time and comes back stronger and I've noticed sometimes she will nurse for like 5 min but empties me out completely bc she's more efficient, and the faster she nurses the faster she can get back to playing

If she is gaining weight and just looking happy and healthy and alert, give it a week or two and see how things progress. Also, try nursing side laying. It helps with the distractions

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I really hope it's just a phase! I've wondered if she's just gotten really good and can empty it that much faster. So hard with breast feeding bc there's just no way to know how much she's getting! And you're right, she's healthy & happy so I'm probably just being paranoid. I just miss our calm, happy nursing sessions.. :/

I will try side laying! Thanks