Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

Numbness 5 months after c-section???

My daughter was born Sept 9, and I am still pretty numb from my incision to my belly button, and I still get sore when I over do it-and my incision gets very dark when this happens. Is this normal? She was my 1st c-section (6th baby-my first 5 were vaginal, this one was breech so I had no choice)...I had disovable stitches as well, not sure if this makes a difference as far as recovery goes.

Advertisement

Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Numbness 5 months after c-section???

Is the actual scar and area right around it numb or a bigger area? I had a kidney transplant 9 years ago and my scar and the area right around it are still numb to the touch. I can scratch and not feel it. The scar is huge and on my abdomen (that's why I replied)
Old 02-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

The right side of my belly never fully recovered sensation after ds1, and now it's even worse after ds2 (I'm almost 10 months pp). If I touch it, it feels similar to touching my cheek after the dentist numbs my mouth. I can feel it with my finger, but my stomach doesn't really feel it. It drives me bonkers. The incision itself never hurts though.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I had my third c/s almost 3 weeks ago, this recovery is very different, I am numb all the way to my belly button this time, I had a huge bruise on my right side of my belly the next day that lasted a few days then started fading away and my left side of this incision stings still, and feels like it gets pulled.
I am very numb on my right side, elft is not such a big area of numbness, i think it has to do with how the dr does the c/s. My last 2 were nothing like this, the numbness went away pretty fast and I got all feeling back,I don't think I am going to be so lucky this time.
Have you spoken to your dr yet about this? I am going to talk to mine at my next appt on 3.8 if things don't start to get better, i am also still having some trouble getting in and out of bed and walking for long periods of time. Not at all what i expected since I have gone through this twice before with my two middle kids.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

When I went to my post-baby check the OB told me it was where all the nerve endings had been cut and it may never fully heal. It starts about an inch below my belly button and goes right down to my incision, and the full width as well. Almost a tingly/numb feeling. its always there. I find it gets uncomfortable if I wear lower waisted jeans that sit on that area too.
Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
boilerbebeRN
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My C/S was July 28th and I still have numbness. I kind of expected this though. I had a total knee reconstruction in 2007 and I still have a lot of numbness around that scar.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Lindsay..::100% in love with the best guy in the world, Matt (married 9.05.09)::..::furrr-Mommy to Mimi (03.08.05)::..::and passionate labor & delivery nurse for the last 10 years! And now turned SAHM! And now loving Everleigh Maryn 07.28.11TTC #2 since 7.2013
boilerbebeRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
04liquidS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nerves take a long time to heal. I had a c-section 7 months ago. My scar is numb, but just the scar itself. However, I have nerve damage in my right thigh from the epidural because I have mild scoliosis that I was unaware of prior to getting the epidural. Right after my c-section and for a few months, my thigh was completely numb, but now, I have partial feeling in it. From what doctors have told me it can take months and months for nerves to heal so it's possible the feeling may return for you. I think the actual scar area will stay numb though.
Delayed/selective vaxing, APing, BWing, ERFing, CDing & non circing SAHM to Owen Rylan born 7/13/11 & #2!

Fur mom to Lucy, Gunner, Pookie and Briscoe.
04liquidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

My scar was simultaneously numb at the surface and painful inside for a good year after my cesarean. I know I had a lot of adhesions, too.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
becky1231
Registered Users

My last c section was just over 3 years ago and I still have numb spots around the incision and just about to my belly button.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
I had my third c/s almost 3 weeks ago, this recovery is very different, I am numb all the way to my belly button this time, I had a huge bruise on my right side of my belly the next day that lasted a few days then started fading away and my left side of this incision stings still, and feels like it gets pulled.
I am very numb on my right side, elft is not such a big area of numbness, i think it has to do with how the dr does the c/s. My last 2 were nothing like this, the numbness went away pretty fast and I got all feeling back,I don't think I am going to be so lucky this time.
Have you spoken to your dr yet about this? I am going to talk to mine at my next appt on 3.8 if things don't start to get better, i am also still having some trouble getting in and out of bed and walking for long periods of time. Not at all what i expected since I have gone through this twice before with my two middle kids.

What did they use to close your uterus? For me they used dissolveable staples on the inside and then dissolveable stitches on the outside. I was thrilled at first to have no outside staples to have removed, but I quickly figured out that the internal staples caused a lot of pulling and tugging, which resulted in burning. I had a much harder time moving around and using the stairs because of it. After a few weeks my incision still wasn't fully healed, and a staple popped out of it! They definitely made my recovery take longer, and if I were to have another I will demand uterus stitches.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote